Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 120 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  05:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard,

I do really like the lighting and the sunset photo is excellent. I hope you don't mind, but I want to show you what can be done with filters using Photoshop. Your photos are very easy to work with, so that tells me that the lighting is very good. I added a series of the most common filter used in photography, just to show you the possibilities.

Warming Filter #85 at 50% (Golden hues of fading sunlight):

Monochromatic (Conversion to B&W):

Sephia Toning:

A Sampling of Four Other Common Tints:

Take care,
Rob.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  12:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rob.

All look great. Love the sepia tone. When the locomotives and rolling stock appear I'll try those filters. Still working on the lights and will post more pics with adjusted lighting in the coming days. Btw I'm planning the read your thread next on the Lake Tahoe layout you are planning.

Cowboybilly: Thanks. Your layout too has been an inspiration - especially those little vignettes you have created.

Doc Tom: I'm up to around page 16 on your thread. Just wonderful. Such an original concept and great modelling.

http://thedepotonline.com/

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  5:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Thanks Rob. Btw I'm planning the read your thread next on the Lake Tahoe layout you are planning.

You're welcome and glad you liked them. There's really not much on the Lake Tahoe thread, I am still doing some researching trying to decide what industries to include on the layout. I am only about a quarter of the way thru my resources. I was side tracked with another design project done for another forum member who was wanting a layout for the narrow gauge Cairo and Kanawha Ry in West Virginia. It was a very interesting project.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  9:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

Doc Tom: I'm up to around page 16 on your thread. Just wonderful. Such an original concept and great modelling.

Thank you very much. The mini layout has been a lot of fun. It is amazing to see people look at this little layout for prolonged periods of time and seek out all the details.

I am sure they will do the same for yours.

Doc Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  9:07:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You're welcome and glad you liked them. There's really not much on the Lake Tahoe thread

Nevertheless i will look forward to following. Maybe you can help me on the planning for the town station along this same line. I'll post something soon.

The depot of Carendt is a lonely outpost many miles from the nearest town. Nevertheless it once played an important role in the local community and for many years was the only real connection to the outside world.

The farmers co-op of Carendt - the lifeblood of the local farming economy. Both the co-op and the depot were built at the same time. Much of the heavy machinery and other items for the co-op are delivered to the depot and brought over by cart (or truck or forklift). Too expensive to refurbish the co-op will close with the railway in two years time

Edited by - kumard on 09/30/2015 10:39:33 PM

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  02:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how i say looks almost real
thanks for sharing

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  07:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  09:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Kumard. Sent you a PM.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  12:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all.

From today I'm focusing on rolling stock - I'm in the middle of detailing, painting, and weathering the GP7 for the layout.

A final couple of pictures showing the track work under the new lighting. My concerns about the flatness of the colors was unfounded and it seems that all I really needed was decent lighting to make the colors pop.

Edited by - kumard on 12/07/2015 3:09:45 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  4:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, looks great.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  7:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, details are popping all over. The lighting is working very well. Good job!!
Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  9:13:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First boxcar for the layout is nearly done. I'll give it about a 6 out of 10. I'm happy with it but I know I can do better. I have several to do so I hope to get better at using the materials and developing techniques. What I have found is that the difference between a modeled/painted streak and a streak that looks as if created by nature is minuscule. The slightest thing can ruin the illusion - such as streaks that are not absolutely vertical. It's going to take quite a bit of practice!

Here's a view of the depot with depot manager: Janet Amundsen waiting for her ride home. She's descended from a long line of railroaders and her grandfather was one of the first employees on the branch.

Still working on the lighting but I'm happy with it for now.

Edited by - kumard on 10/06/2015 10:53:39 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  9:29:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumard: Everything looks very nice ... weathering seems to be coming good. It will be nice to see some rolling stock in the photos. Take care, Rob.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  06:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boxcar is looking excellent.

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  8:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weathering on the box car is very nice and the streaks quite vertical to my eye. Good job.

Doc Tom

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000