Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 241 ]  [ Total: 249 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  4:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW!!! That picture is wonderful. Think you nailed the lighting. Very effective.

Tom

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  12:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Tyson, Frederic.

Bob: "but I did spot the broken parts of the wrought iron fence." >> Yes I really like those small details. I'm always thinking about how to break up a small scene like that. There are examples of that kind of detail all over the layout.

Tom: Thanks! Btw I'm about halfway through the thread on your wonderful railway. What a brilliant work of art and so informative too. I'm learning a lot about Haiti. I'm up to about page 9 and the earthquake and so on. Terrible time for all during that period. I'll post something on your thread this week.

In the meantime I added the second set of lights on the weekend. I'm not finished yet but getting close. I added a central fluorescent light and it has definitely helped but there are still dark areas and shadows. I'm going to add a couple more spots to the track and hopefully that will complete the lighting.

The new fluorescent light. It needs to be removable (not attached to the cover) so I'm going use clips to hold it in place. I also have to adjust the position so that I get an even spread of light across the layout.

The approaching storm - a symbol of doom that hangs over the branch that is two years away from closure. I need to add another spotlight to brighten up this side. The light from the fluorescent is a little harsh (on the blue side) but the spots seem to bring in a warmer tone.

There is a central dark spot (by the locomotive) which needs another spotlight.

Both corners of the layout need more light which I will add via extra spotlights.

Overall things are looking better. Hopefully with the extra spotlights the lighting will be complete. Now we have a clearer view of the new backdrop.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 09/28/2015 9:40:08 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  1:38:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kumard

I need to add another spotlight to brighten up this side. The light from the fluorescent is a little harsh (on the blue side) but the spots seem to bring in a warmer shade.

Hi Kumard,

I never really had much luck mixing both incandescent and fluorescent lighting, since it really throws off the white balance on your camera. I can see both yellow spots and blue spots in your scene, which might indicate that your camera is having a hard time with the lighting set-up. I use 5,500K true daylight fluorescent bulbs (not the ones bought in a store, but for photography) and I have to set my camera to the daylight setting. With a colour rendering index of 92, colour reproduction is also outstanding. Your photo with just the incandescent lighting actually looked spot on to me.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 09/28/2015 1:41:37 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Your photo with just the incandescent lighting actually looked spot on to me. "

Hi Rob,

Yes my camera is having a hard time dealing with the lighting. The layout actually looks much better to the eye. I'm adding the extra spots today and then I might have to find a warmer fluorescent bulb (5500k?) to help bring in some warmth to the overall lighting. Check back later

Edited by - kumard on 09/28/2015 1:56:54 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  2:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Your photo with just the incandescent lighting actually looked spot on to me. "

Hi Rob,

Yes my camera is having a hard time dealing with the lighting. The layout actually looks much better to the eye. I'm adding the extra spots today and then I might have to find a warmer fluorescent bulb (5500k?) to help bring in some warmth to the overall lighting. Check back later

Hi Kumard,

If you just buy ordinary, every day fluorescent lights you will be stuck with a blue cast in your photos unless you set your white balance on your camera to fluorescent. Non-photogaphic fluorescent lights have a very low colour rendering index, so you still might have to adjust the white balance in the post processing. Your DSLR would have an easier time with that, even better, if you shoot in RAW mode.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 09/28/2015 2:05:06 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  8:12:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I use 5,500K true daylight fluorescent bulbs (not the ones bought in a store, but for photography) and I have to set my camera to the daylight setting. With a colour rendering index of 92, colour reproduction is also outstanding. Your photo with just the incandescent lighting actually looked spot on to me.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob,

Thanks for your input. I seem to be having a much needed crash course in lighting. Which is a good thing.

Light of 5500k- is that in the cool/blue part of the scale? How does it look to the eye? I think I need warm lights over the layout. The 'incandescent' lights are actually LEDs of around 500 Lumens brightness and 3000k in the warm scale. The light they give off looks very nice indeed. How would they look together with a daylight fluorescent?

Edited by - kumard on 09/28/2015 8:27:58 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  8:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I use 5,500K true daylight fluorescent bulbs (not the ones bought in a store, but for photography) and I have to set my camera to the daylight setting. With a colour rendering index of 92, colour reproduction is also outstanding. Your photo with just the incandescent lighting actually looked spot on to me.

Take care,
Rob.

Rob,

Light of 5500k- is that in the cool/blue part of the scale? How does it look to the eye? I think I need warm lights over the layout. The 'incandescent' lights are actually LEDs of around 500 Lumens brightness and 3000k in the warm scale. The light they give off looks very nice indeed. How would they look together with a daylight fluorescent?

Hi Kumard,

Wow ... I can't belive those light are LEDs. I have never worked with them, but I do love the light they produce.

The last photo (and the other one) looks like mid-aftenoon sunlight. With a dimmer and filters you should be able to produce other day-light effects. I can get the same effect with the 5,500k bulbs (I'm not talking about daylight tubes), however I now think your answer lies with the LEDs and stay away from mixing in the fluorescents.

I would keep experimenting with these first. Is there a similar LED rope light that can use to even out the lighting for you and provide some fill lighting?

I can also show you had to use a white card to adjust you white balance. I think you can also do a custom white balance right in your DSLR, although I never had reason to use it before. But from what I am seeing with just the LEDs, you probably won't need it either.

Take care,
Rob.

Edited by - robchant on 09/28/2015 8:32:19 PM

Grabnet
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  8:52:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. The postman is going to get wet with that storm approaching. Great mood and it does have a sense of sadness knowing the rails are going to be quiet in the upcoming history you laid out. These micros are a lot of fun and you can pull out all the modeling tricks.

Interesting discussion going on re:lighting.

Doc Tom

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  9:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  9:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rob,

I added two more spots and removed the fluorescent light. I'll return that light this weekend and swap it for lights that compliment the LEDs. That should do it. Then another time I will try out the 5500k lights you use for photography.

Edited by - kumard on 09/28/2015 9:13:10 PM

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  9:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rob,

I added two more spots and removed the fluorescent light. I'll return that light this weekend and swap it for lights that compliment the LEDs. That should do it. Then another time I will try out the 5500k lights you use for photography.

Now that's very nice lighting! Is that close to what you see with your eyes? The colour rendering looks excellent to me.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  9:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes that what it looks like to the eye. The 500 lumens brightness and 3000k in the warm scale is the way to go.

robchant
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  9:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes that what it looks like to the eye. The 500 lumens brightness and 3000k in the warm scale is the way to go.

I would tend to agree with you. However, I am surprised that the LEDs don't work better with the fluorescents. But as I said, I haven't worked with LEDs before. I would like to see what the rope lights will do now.

If the top of your display case is open, you might also try putting a layer or two of translucent cloth (even a white bed sheet would do folded twice) over the opening. Then place the LEDs about 12" above and let the cloth diffuse the light a bit more. It should produce a nice even light with very soft shadows.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/28/2015 :  10:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the top of your display case is open, you might also try putting a layer or two of translucent cloth (even a white bed sheet would do folded twice) over the opening. Then place the LEDs about 12" above and let the cloth diffuse the light a bit more. It should produce a nice even light with very soft shadows.

Good idea. The light diffusion will help get rid of the dark areas. They get amplified by the camera.

The evening sunset over the depot. Eric sets off home to his supper.

Edited by - kumard on 09/28/2015 10:23:52 PM

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/29/2015 :  03:44:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oustanding good , give me some inspriration thanks for sharing.

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000