Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 255 ]  [ Total: 260 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960
Page: of 39

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  1:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Too bad the lighting has bright spots and dark spots. Have you considered florescent tubes or LEDs?

Frank

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/23/2015 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Too bad the lighting has bright spots and dark spots. Have you considered florescent tubes or LEDs?

Yes the plan is to fit dimmers to the spots and use them to highlight scenes and remove shadows.

I'll be adding either fluorescent lights or LEDs this weekend.

The lighting was always a two part process. I needed to see what the spots looked like before fitting the second set.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 09/23/2015 1:32:19 PM

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  02:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carl looks almost real

greetings frank

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  02:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and now flash ligt and thunder ....

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  04:03:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you have the spots, and the backdrop has something other than a clear blue summer sky!, it would be interesting to experiment with some colored filters on the spots after you get the other lights in.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  06:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i mean it so how i wrote, i like thunder and flash ligts i built it also on my layout.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  08:18:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really like the new backdrop with its asymmetry and variety of colors. The lighting at present is perhaps a little too spotty but not too bad. It reminds me of late afternoon storms rolling in with little patches of light and the clouds gradually covering the sky. Very dramatic. Looking forward to further developments.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  1:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cowboybilly

i mean it so how i wrote, i like thunder and flash ligts i built it also on my layout.

Thanks Cowboybilly,

I definitely wanted some drama on the layout. The story of this railway is that it is about two years away from closure and therefore I want an ominous sky to reflect that.

However, the next layout based on this same branch line will have clear blue skies and the layout in general will have a happy colorful atmosphere. I'll be posting more on that once I've finished my research. I'll start another thread once I'm ready.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  1:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rca2

Since you have the spots, and the backdrop has something other than a clear blue summer sky!, it would be interesting to experiment with some colored filters on the spots after you get the other lights in.

Thanks Bob,

I've been doing some reading on lights this week and re-reading some Iain Rice writings on the matter - he's the go-to reference for 'layouts as paintings' (btw that's my term not his!) Well, he says the same thing: use colored filters, so yes I'll probably try that.

Today I'm going to add LED strip lights (http://www.amazon.com/16-4ft-Flexible-Lights-Daylight-Waterproof/dp/B00HSF66JO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443289303&sr=8-2&keywords=led+lighting) since they are cheap. If they don't look good then I can use them elsewhere and I'll try some kind of florescent lighting.

Once this new lighting is in place I'll focus back on the spots and add dimmers (and possibly filters).

Edited by - kumard on 09/26/2015 2:29:24 PM

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  1:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

I really like the new backdrop with its asymmetry and variety of colors. The lighting at present is perhaps a little too spotty but not too bad. It reminds me of late afternoon storms rolling in with little patches of light and the clouds gradually covering the sky. Very dramatic. Looking forward to further developments.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Once the new lighting is in place with the spots better focused we'll be able to see the new backdrop a bit better. It's definitely better than the first but there are things I miss now from the first one such as the faraway houses and trees which I removed from the new backdrop. Maybe I'll combine the best of both and create a third backdrop at some point. Let's see how the new lighting looks first.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  2:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used a 5000K color temperature for LED strips for my layout room. Some people like their LEDs considerably warmer.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/26/2015 :  2:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I used a 5000K color temperature for LED strips for my layout room. Some people like their LEDs considerably warmer.

Hey James,

I'm off to the hardware store in a moment so I'll take a look at that too.

I took a picture with all the spots focused on one area just to see what more natural lighting might look like. Looks good although did I notice an annoying kink the backdrop image which I missed when working on it. I forgot that small issues in Photoshop get blown up enormously in real life. Darn it, I might be heading towards creating a third backdrop!

Spot the kink?

Edited by - kumard on 09/26/2015 2:27:21 PM

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  07:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a wonderful picture, very realistic.

rca2
Engine Wiper

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  1:40:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The kink is not obvious, but I did spot the broken parts of the wrought iron fence. I especially like how the bright light in the foreground is echoed by the backdrop. Fantastic modeling and photo.

Modeling Arizona Eastern Railroad, Hayden Junction (1920), in On30

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/27/2015 :  3:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great shot!

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: The Town Topic Next Topic: Beginn of a german Railroad Time 1960  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000