Railroad Line Forums - The Depot (at Carendt)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: walkerci ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 The Depot (at Carendt)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Review Topic Next Topic: The Town
Page: of 39

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  6:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1/10/16 I have renamed the thread as I want it to fit with the branch line universe of my next layout 'The Town'. I hope there is no confusion. I'm looking forward to showing the next episode of this story.

Hi everyone.

I just joined the forum and this is my first post.

I came back into the hobby via a website by a gentleman name Carl Arendt. Sadly he died a few years ago but shortly after I decided to take the plunge and build my first model railroad. As such I've called it Carendt and it is dedicated to Carl.

It's not finished but I wanted to post some pictures taken from angles that will no longer be possible once the cover goes on. I will have more pictures later and a description of how I created certain parts. <br /><br />It was definitely fun but hard work and stressful at times. I'm taking a break from starting a new layout for a few months.

It's loosely modeled on the Soo Line somewhere in the upper-midwest (Great Plains).

Iím waiting for the photo backdrop to arrive and be installed and then Iíll be starting on adding the correct rolling stock.

The building are a mixture of scratch-built and kits.

The track is hand-laid with spikes.

http://thedepotonline.com/

Edited by - kumard on 01/10/2016 4:13:27 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  7:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a very, very nice layout. I love the that you added the power lines
to your poles. Those are the kind of details that make a layout stand out.
Great job. BTW welcome to the forum. Glad you joined. Let's see some more of your great workmanship'...

Ted

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  7:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really nicely done.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  8:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar,
Welcome aboard. This is an excellent tribute to our friend Carl. Your modeling is first class and I hope to see more of it.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  9:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. Comments much appreciated. I'll have the new backdrop and cover in place shortly and will post some more pics at that time.

This mini layout was really a confidence builder for me. Before starting I didn't really know how to do anything or how long it would take or how much time I would have to devote to it (only 4 hours a week as it turned out). I had to cut plenty of corners in order to get the thing finished within a reasonable time. However I learned a whole lot in the process and look forward to applying those lessons to my next effort.

The Soo Line rolling stock is being painted and weathered over the few weeks and will replace the NYC loco soon.

Edited by - kumard on 03/21/2016 6:06:38 PM

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  04:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kumar, Welcome to the forum.
Really nice layout, and also wonderful photo's.

Do you have a track plan you could show us ?

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  08:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work, Kumar. And good thinking to get some photos before those views are lost. Welcome to the forums.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  08:07:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum Kumar! Your modeling and photography are excellent and we all hope to see more of it. Is this HO scale?

Mike

Larryc
New Hire

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  09:53:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum. That is very,very nice modeling. Looks very realistic; you can almost "hear" the the movement in the layout.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  10:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very well done.

Jeff S

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  10:47:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your scenery ranks with some of the best in the hobby. Very nicely done.

John Elwood

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  11:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kumar, and welcome to RRLines!
Great looking start to your layout in honor of your friend Carl.
You have really captured the look of a mill that has been added on to over the years as business grew.
I love all of the grasses & weeds everywhere, just like the real thing.
Keep up the great work!

Greg Shinnie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  1:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done.

It's Only Make Believe

Bob Harris

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  1:50:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome aboard, Kumar. Thanks for posting the pictures of your beautiful layout. I too would like to see the track plan.

George

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  2:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again everyone.

I spent quite sometime looking at pictures in the Morning Sun color books to try to get the track looking somewhat realistic for a soon-to-be-closed meandering country branch line in the Upper Midwest. I'll say more about the track another time. But in the meantime:

Here's the track plan in diagram form.

and here is a top down view of the layout (when still on my work bench from a couple of months ago) showing the overall plan and buildings.

More updates to come.

kumard
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  3:28:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit kumard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are some more pictures of the overall layout.

The layout is in HO scale.

I really liked the idea of a cut-out well for areas that were not going to be modeled - it was an idea taken from a couple of the layouts featured on Carl's site.

I also wanted curved flowing track on the layout including turnouts. Even if they look straight all the turnouts are all curved to some degree. The idea of curves was taken from an early model railway influence of mine: Iain Rice - a British modeler. He was a big promoter of the atmospheric small layout and produced a series of landmark layouts in the Eighties that influenced this layout. The proscenium arch which is to be installed next week is another idea taken from those layouts.

A view displaying the cut out well

A view showing more of the rear side of the layout. Note the curved track. There are wings at either end that act as staging areas for trains arriving and departing.

Edited by - kumard on 09/21/2015 10:06:55 PM

Page: of 39 Previous Topic: Review Topic Next Topic: The Town  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000