Railroad Line Forums - "John Allen" style Icing Platform
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 174 ]  [ Total: 181 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 "John Allen" style Icing Platform
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Scratch structure plans index (N) Topic Next Topic: Old west structure ideas
Page: of 6

Dwight Ennis
Section Hand

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  11:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dwight Ennis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm in need of an Icing Platform for my limited reefer fleet and managed to score a FSM Icong Platform kit off of eBay. However, after opening the kit and looking at the plans, it became apparent to me that, while John Allen was an incredible artist and Model Railroad builder, he was no mechanical engineer.

I therefore decided to redesign the "platform" section of the icing platform using more conventional building codes for adequate structural integrity. I also doubled it length. The structure is entirely scratch0built. With the exception of the decking boards, that section is finished. It contains 304 Grandt Line #98 NBW castings (little line above the dime)...

Since my platform is higher then the kit, I'm also having to scratch-build the Ice House. It's based upon the kit's Ice House, and is currently around half done.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  11:40:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, nice work, Dwight!

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  01:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dwight,

How are you doing these days? Nice to see you found your way over here to the RR Line forums. I've been hanging out here ever since I gave up the garden railway.

Beautiful job on the icing platform. It's the usual high quality I expect from you.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  07:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dwight, Very nice job so far. I assume it's HO scale. I'll be following along with interest.

Cheers,
Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  08:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks good, like it's seen quite a few years of service.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  08:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice neat work, Dwight.

George

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  09:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work, Dwight. She looks structurally sound now.

Dwight Ennis
Section Hand

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  10:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dwight Ennis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NVNGRR

Dwight,

How are you doing these days? Nice to see you found your way over here to the RR Line forums. I've been hanging out here ever since I gave up the garden railway.

Beautiful job on the icing platform. It's the usual high quality I expect from you.

Hey there Kevin! Nice to bump into you! It's been a while. I be just fine! Semi-retired a year ago last May, and will fully retire this Jan! Absolutely LOVE it!!

Also sold our house and moved a year ago Jan to a bigger place. I now have an entire good-sized bedroom for an HO layout.

How the heck are you?

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  11:14:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really liking the 'rebuild' of this classic. Great to see modifications coupled with wonderful craftsmanship. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the structure build.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  11:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sharp Dwight. Very sharp indeed.

It's only make-believe

Edited by - railman28 on 07/08/2015 1:40:55 PM

NVNGRR
Engine Wiper

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  1:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit NVNGRR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, thank you but the credit goes to Dwight, not me.

Kevin Miller
Winlock, WA

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Dwight, that is a very very nice platform. I am sure you will do the structure itself justice. I will warn you to not do what George did on his original Icing station and that is he made no provision at all for the ice to be brought onto the deck. The second Icing station George did get a trap door that allowed ice to be brought onto the deck. I am sure you already considered this, but just in case, this is a reminder.
Here is my Icing Station based on the FSM model.
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21438&whichpage=71
Regards, Vic B.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  10:09:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool! Looks very good and solid

Edited by - Bill Gill on 07/08/2015 10:09:46 AM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  10:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding workmanship.

Dwight Ennis
Section Hand

Posted - 07/08/2015 :  12:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dwight Ennis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitlerisvj

Hi Dwight, that is a very very nice platform. I am sure you will do the structure itself justice. I will warn you to not do what George did on his original Icing station and that is he made no provision at all for the ice to be brought onto the deck. The second Icing station George did get a trap door that allowed ice to be brought onto the deck. I am sure you already considered this, but just in case, this is a reminder.
Here is my Icing Station based on the FSM model.
http://www.railroad-line.com/discussion/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21438&whichpage=71
Regards, Vic B.

In fact, there is provision in the original for ice to be brought up to the deck. It was common on such structures for the ice house to contain within it an internal elevator for that purpose. In this case, it would likely bring ice cakes up to the second story door on the deck level. Ice cakes would be moved from internal storage to the elevator, raised, and removed by the men on the deck for loading into waiting reefers.

Nice model you built. Congrats!

Edited by - Dwight Ennis on 07/08/2015 12:43:15 PM

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  3:52:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking Great!!

Horse

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Scratch structure plans index (N) Topic Next Topic: Old west structure ideas  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000