Railroad Line Forums - Street Lights
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 61 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigs704 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Street Lights
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: coulples night x2 Topic Next Topic: Unwanted Decal Removal
Page: of 2

CZN17940
New Hire

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  09:54:56 AM  Show Profile  Send CZN17940 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in need of some modern HO street lights and was wondering if anybody had any names of companies that make them.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  10:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Walthers carries quite a few modern metal-post lights from European manufacturers. Some might look reasonable in US settings.

In 2007 Walthers manufactured some North American prototype lights, but though they're still on the web site, none have been in stock for a long time: http://www.walthers.com/exec/page/guide/street_lamps I could use several of the #2310 and #2311, but in 2007 I hadn't even designed the scenes I need them for.

Older era modelers are using kits for gooseneck lamps (Micro Lumina, N Scale Architect, maybe others) in street settings.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  7:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a company on EBAY, Called 'WE Honest'.
I have ordered street lights and figures from them several times. They are very well made, LED with metal poles. You need to solder a resistor to one lead. They come with the resistors. 11 lights for less then 20 bucks. I received them in less time then from companies right here in the states....one week..

Ted

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  11:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

There is a company on EBAY, Called 'WE Honest'.
I have ordered street lights and figures from them several times. They are very well made, LED with metal poles. You need to solder a resistor to one lead. They come with the resistors. 11 lights for less then 20 bucks. I received them in less time then from companies right here in the states....one week..

I've ordered from "We Honest" several times with no problems, and the street lights I ordered were well made.

Al Carter

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We Honest did me well, too. What did I order? Me Forget....

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  11:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a shot of a We Honest street light'..

Ted

Cowboybilly
Crew Chief

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  2:37:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you more piktures ?

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  7:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frank; This link gets me We Honest's USA EBay store. They appear to have a Chinese language store, but I do not know where else they do business: http://stores.ebay.com/WEHONEST

There's a 'Street Lights' item in the Categories menu on the left. None that really match my area and era, but I'll keep watching them.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  05:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Here's a couple I found recently.
Haven't used them as yet, but guess they're O.K.

Kytes Lites from England
http://www.kyteslights.com/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=1f5a988048f5f66f1a48b06d598dd1ee

And this one, from China I think.
Go to site and type in HO scale lights.
They also sell plenty of other model RR items too.
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20150603012142&SearchText=ho scale street lights

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, It's still popular

Edited by - robert goslin on 06/03/2015 05:24:47 AM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  08:00:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Several of these vendors seem to be filling their buckets at the same set of wells. Aliexpress seems to be a 'small lots and overseas' division of Alibaba, the big Chinese on-line retailer. On-line reviews are mixed, but not beyond what I'd expect from "Americans buying clothes in general" plus "doing business half way round the world with a language barrier".

At the moment, the bang for the buck has not overridden my concerns about web and personal information security.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/03/2015 :  9:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JB, We honset is Okay thus far'...Pay Pal only,
But I pay, pay pal with a credit card. If there is any problems, the CC company takes responsibility.

I agree though with you on your point'....

Ted

vikramgoel
Section Hand

Posted - 06/12/2015 :  09:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit vikramgoel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Another company I have used is Express models in UK. They have a number of Modern street and station lights. http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/acatalog/
They also have lighted yard towers all in LED.

Regards,

Vik.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/30/2015 :  3:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need a few HO "post" or "yard" lights. At least around here, the power Co. tends to use an inexpensive fixture when doing one of these un-metered installations, so the commercial 'cobra head' units on metal poles won't do:

Here I've filed the end of a "Yello-Glo" 3mm LED flat and bent the leads over, making sure they didn't touch. Then I slipped insulation taken off a 24 GA ethernet cable wire over one lead and bent the other down. I drilled the plastic pole #72 (.0224") and pushed the straight lead through.

I'm about to solder #30 wires to each lead and paint the whole business. More when my shipment of 3.5mm audio jacks/plugs arrives.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/03/2015 :  11:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
History tells me I need to keep my light poles removable, particularly on my modules that go to Hub Division shows. Out of the blue, I thought of the small plug/jack sets they use on earbuds.

This 3.5 mm set made by Switchcraft (839-1224-ND and SC1455-ND) costs about $2.50 from DigiKey. I'm using 3/16" brass tube (a loose fit on the body of the 'ring' side) to connect the light pole and the plug. I drilled a #66 hole in the tube for the red #30 wire soldered to the 'tip' lug in the center. Then I soldered the tube to the body to make the 'ring' connection via the blue wire soldered to the tube.

The Walthers pole above is filed to a press fit in the 3/16" tube. Before I assemble it, I'll paint the wires Scalecoat Graphite & Oil and cut the original stub off so it won't touch the 'ring' wire connection. I'll solder the wires to the LED leads after the pole is pressed into the base. Then I'll glue them to the post to look like conduit for ground wires.

Edited by - jbvb on 08/03/2015 11:59:08 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  12:03:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Here the pole is assembled with the lamp leads glued down. They will need re-painting once I've got the whole business installed. The electric meter is made from .060 x .100 styrene and a slice of a clear styrene sprue. The jack is mounted in a .250 hole in the bit of hardboard. I'll solder wires to it before I attach it to the underside of the scenery. Now if I can only find my hot glue gun

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/12/2015 :  11:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I added a parking lot light to an existing Rix telegraph pole. One novelty was shrinking the 3/16" brass tube to grasp the approx. 1/8 Rix pole. Another was using #38 magnet wire for the LED's cathode (-) connection:

Here the LED is ready to be inserted into a .022 hole drilled in the pole. Next the + lead will besoldered.

The electrical portion is ready to assemble to the pole. The anode lead enters the hole in the brass tube and is soldered to the 'tip' pin of the plug. Ngineering #38 wire is soldered to the cathode, wrapped in a spiral around the anode and then soldered to the tube, which makes the 'ring' connection. It's barely visible at 2X life-size.

I've found the #38 wire frustrating to work with; none of my soldering irons do the 'dip the wire in the blob of solder and it comes out stripped and tinned' trick Ngineering's instructions describe. So I mechanically strip it by gently scraping with a knife blade. But I persist, because of the modeling it lets me do.

Assembled, ready for paint and fastening the LED leads to the pole so they'll look like conduit.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: coulples night x2 Topic Next Topic: Unwanted Decal Removal  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000