Railroad Line Forums - Glaizer Stove Company in On 18
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 102 ]  [ Total: 102 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Glaizer Stove Company in On 18
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Treasure map Topic Next Topic: Gday, and welcome to Victoria Street
Page: of 4

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  10:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have also constructed two cars. One is a flat car and the other is a cut down n gauge coal hopper. I needed something to haul pallets and something to haul coal and ash to the steam plant.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/08/2015 :  07:57:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice job on the cars!

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  10:07:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Unless the model is going to be fairly complex, I usually work from a rough sketch.

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  10:32:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The yellow critter got a sound system. I managed to pack an engineer, Soundtraxx small Goose decoder, a stay alive, and a sugar cube speaker into the unit. The sound decoder fit on to the inside of the cab roof. The speaker against the cab front (Looks like an instrument panel.), and the Stay-alive fit in the engine compartment. I all fit with some finger crossing. Next time I will design room for the components.

The sugar cube speaker works extremely well. Because the critter is so light, a stay-alive became necessary. The only problem with the stay alive is that it will not allow the Goose engine shut-down to work. It holds the sound open after I turn the track voltage off and sputters as the capacitors decay.

The chassis is split to allow electrical pickup. Therefore, each side of the chassis conducts to the motor through some small cast tabs which touch the motor brushes. These tabs were ground off and opened up to avoid the contact with the motor thus isolating it from the chassis.

Soldering the leads to motor was no problem. However, how to fasten the pick up leads to the cast chassis presented a problem. The solution was to insert a bit of plastic card between the halves near the top of the largest part. Two small brass shim tabs were inserted so that they touched only one half of the chassis and were separated by the plastic insert. When the halves were tightened together, the pickup leads were soldered to the tabs. Works just fine.

I also had to modify the chassis by milling a slope to accommodate the stay-alive unit. It was pushing the speaker off its location.

The chassis was cleaned and lubed before reassembly.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking critter, Henry. After squeezing the decoder, stay alive and speaker into the shell, I'm surprised you had room for the motor.

George

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/26/2015 :  3:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome engineering!

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  11:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally got some time to model. The railroad needed a road engine. I used an old (free) lifelike chassis. It ran well and runs just as well with DCC.

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  11:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The superstructure is a basic box with some added detail. The front grill is made of HO house shingles.

The doors are a small piece of plastic card. Door handles are Plastruct channel, sliced thin. I was worried about how they would hold up. Just gluing them with plastic cement did not work well, so I reinforced the joint with CA for plastics. It is solid enough for handling.

I like some age and ware and tear on equipment. As you can tell the lower left corner of the truck hatch is bent a bit. I suspect it was a result of an off the rail excursion. (More likely my attempt to hide an error.}

Now off to the paint shop!

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/18/2015 :  6:35:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  5:10:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back from the paint shop. Fresh and new

Can't have that!

First shading. A little brown and mostly black added to the base color. Then an overspray of the base color to blend.

The paint was sealed between coats with dull coat. Then a black wash of artist oils brought out detail. Another seal coat then rust.

Several years later Flattemore and his aid discuss the potential for repair and re-spray.

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  5:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A business road trip sometimes yields a new addition to the layout. Here is a building designed to be placed in the left front corner. It will block the exit port for the main line.

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/19/2015 :  6:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic critters.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 06/20/2015 :  07:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Fantastic critters.

Agreed!

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/24/2015 :  3:22:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello folks. I have uploaded a video of the critters in action. The smaller critter has a soundtraxx TSU-750 "goose" decoder and the larger one has a TSU-750 GE Cummins Diesel Switcher decoder. Both have sugar cube speakers.
Enjoy!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp1qgsaw7G0

Larryc
New Hire

Posted - 07/03/2015 :  3:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read through your thread. Very nice concept for a layout, which looks great by the way. Also very nice job on the "critters". Looking forward to seeing your progress on this.

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Treasure map Topic Next Topic: Gday, and welcome to Victoria Street  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000