Railroad Line Forums - Glaizer Stove Company in On 18
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Glaizer Stove Company in On 18
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Treasure map Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge
Page: of 4

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been bitten by the On 18 bug. I have no space for a layout so a mini is just right. I am building a shadow box style layout based upon the Glazier Stove Company (circa 1900) in Detroit, Mi. Photos of the company can be found on Shorpy, http://www.shorpy.com/image/tid/316

Here is the picture that inspired the layout.

Download Attachment: Glazier.jpg
78.97 KB

I left the download data in case you want a closer look.

Edited by - Lillyfork on 05/05/2015 10:14:07 AM

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  10:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had some buildings for an On 30 module that was never completed, so, I had a good start. the mini layout is 14" x 48", with an additional 6" attachment at the rear for a staging area or to connect to the next unit for a continuous operation.

The buildings are paper (Thanks to Troles Kirk for his techniques.)

I am also indebted to others like Chris Nevard and Tacquet who model in this style.

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  10:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My first project was a loco. This is built upon a kato 4 wheel truck.

Plastic card and shapes are used to form the chassis.

Before paint.

Cobbled up and subject to rough treatment.

northern6400
Fireman

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  11:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking locomotive

Chuck Faist
Burlington, Ontario
Enjoy yourself it is later than you think!

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  11:26:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is a preview of the layout under construction.

Larryc
New Hire

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  3:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking critter. Looks like your off to a great start on your layout.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  5:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Critter and layout are fantastic.
Nicely done!

As you think, so will you be.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 05/05/2015 :  9:06:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mike

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  4:39:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice little locomotive and nice start on the layout! Looking forward to seeing more, (including the little yellow critter!).

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  7:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, great critter and layout concept. i will be following along.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  8:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a very cool critter', Excellent'...great looking layout in progress. I'll be following along...

Ted

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 05/06/2015 :  10:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  5:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind comments.

Here are some pictures of the second (yellow) critter. It is constructed of plastic card and fitted over a B'man six wheel switcher. The unit runs well but has noisy gears. I may install sound in this one and a stay alive. I will try to work on the gears to see if I could make it run more quietly.

I am sorry that I do not have construction photos.

The drip rails are a trademark of my locos and I love the look of an exterior fuel tank. The holes in the side of the engine cover were punched with hand punch. The inspection covers are merely a piece of card with 1/2 round hinges. The rivets make it look beefer.

As we all can attest, paint can make or break a model. I air brushed a dark base coat over which I sprayed a lighter top coat. I mixed a little black in with the top coat and sprayed the edges of the panels and then a light over spray of the top color to even it out.Various washes were applied in between coats of flat varnish. All the paints were water base. The washes were artist oils with a drier added. Dots of paint were applied and then allowed to dry a while. A fine brush was then diped in thinner and dried on a paper towel an used to streak the dots.

The chassis is a firm fit in the frame so that no screws are needed.

If I do a sound installation I will take photos.

OK, Can someone tell me why I am getting this error message when I up load a photo with people in it? These people above are out of focus but in the other photos I tried to up load they were not.

Request object error 'ASP 0104 : 80004005'

Operation not Allowed

/forum/outputFile.asp, line 13

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  5:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been using Chris Nevard's method of using air drying clay for the earth surface. I like it a lot. It is easy to do, and clean. Placing it between the rails was a breeze. On those sections of track where I wanted to represent earth covered ties, I packed the clay to the brim, ran a pallet knife across the top to push it below the rail and cleaned the edges with the knife. I then ran an older truck with large flanges back and forth over the rail. I have experienced little trouble tuning the track to run well in those sections.

Fitting the clay between the ties is a bit fiddley. I used a small screwdriver to wedge SMALL piece of clay into the space between the ties and a short thick bristle brush like a stencil brush to push the clay into place. I also used the brush to stipple texture into the clay.

Other surfaces are easy to represent as well. Concrete crossover, block streets and cobble stone worked well. I did not push down the detail with my fingers after embossing. Had I done that the lined between the blocks and cobbles would have been less pronounced.

I will hide that with some paint.

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  10:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Well i finally figured it out.
The photos which would not load were to large.

Lillyfork
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/07/2015 :  10:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lillyfork's Homepage  Reply with Quote

DSC03472.jpg[/url]
161.51 KB

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: Treasure map Topic Next Topic: 2x3 Cork Board Challenge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000