Railroad Line Forums - Letterbashing
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: DanielR ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Letterbashing
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives Topic Next Topic: Reversed Emporium Seafood Company
Page: of 6

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  08:04:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The upper sign is a regular typeface from my computer. The lower one is a Letterbashed version of the same typeface that was made to fit this particular wall and to suggest a slightly older time period.

Back in March, in the Mid Scale forum, John Holt asked about finding RR fonts for printing decals:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44888&whichpage=1
Several members suggested sources and showed examples of decals they designed and printed.

Custom lettering on signs helps make our models unique. One option I suggested was "Letterbashing" a typeface to fit his needs. Because handpainting scale size signs is a real challenge, Letterbashing is a method I'm developing for modifying type fonts from your computer to look more like hand lettering that better fits your time and place.

On Saturday, May 30th I'll be doing a workshop on Letterbashing at the New England/Northeast Railroad Prototype Modelers Meet in Collinsville, Connecticut http://www.neprototypemeet.com/Welcome.html
There'll be some background on signpainting, comparisons of type vs handpainting, and an introduction to using GIMP and Inkscape for making model signs for all scales and time periods.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  08:19:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I was surprised to see your name on the list of presenters when I saw the post, I think it was the Diesel List, that you were going to do a clinic. I wish I could make it to the meet. Being that it's Memorial Day weekend we are up to the Islands at the cottage. One of these days though.

Bernd

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  08:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bernd, Memorial Day is the weekend before the meet. Enjoy the islands!

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  08:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I wish I could attend your presentation but that's not possible now. Any chance you could give
us a scaled down version here on the forum?????

Cheers,

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second Bob's clinic request for us here on the forum.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  10:47:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me third it.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  11:36:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, KP & Bob, Thanks for asking. The October 2010 RMC has an article introducing Letterbashing. Unfortunately that version got a bit muddled in editing. Because of that I tried presenting an introductory workshop at the Collinsville, CT Prototype Meet last year and found that worked much better because participants could watch the process using GIMP live. This year Iíve added new examples plus recent experiments using Inkscape, which might prove more versatile in some situations. A video might work almost as well, but I have no way to do that and post it anywhere.

Letterbashing covers more than computer graphic techniques. The idea is to apply the techniques with some understanding of how signpainters tackled the job. That way the results can be similar.

I am not a signpainter, but did make signs for several years at an outdoor history museum.
Some were handpainted to fit the mid 1800s theme.

You might recognize this one.

It wound up on a B.E.S.T. kit http://www.besttrains.com/products_1090.html

Other museum signs for guiding and directing visitors were made in various ways and were conspicuously contemporary. That combination of ďoldĒ and new signage gave me a unique perspective on lettering and type. With that came an awareness that many model signs, even on award winning models, have generic lettering that doesnít fit their time or place as well it might.

The workshop starts with background information on signpainting and examines differences between handlettering and type. Iím not sure how well I can condense that to fit the forum, but Iíll look and see.

Because handlettering scale size signs is a challenge at almost any scale, think of Letterbashing as kitbashing with type. GIMP, Inkscape and other programs are tools for modifying the characters. The process works for large exterior wall signs...

... and small signs for store windows (imagine writing these in N scale!)

It can be used for custom lettering and heralds for rolling stock too.
(The above examples are from last year's presentation, new ones for this year are still being selected).

Edited by - Bill Gill on 04/30/2015 1:15:33 PM

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  12:02:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, Bill, I'll "Fourth" the motion. I'm interested, am a thousand miles away from Collinsville, won't make it this year, and need to learn this stuff.

Bring it ON!

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  1:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pete, I'm working on it, but it's kinda like trying to tell someone how to tie your shoes, in the dark, with gloves on - easier when you can watch and no gloves.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  2:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember that article ... read it several times. Now the question is .. do I still have it? :)

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  07:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple more examples of model signs made with Letterbashing, but trying to explain how, in writing...

Some of you might recognize this first one, made with Dallas Mallerich for his backwoods warehouse diorama. This sign was inspired by a prototype sign that had nothing to do with warehouses, but looked something like it in general (pun intended, and so was the misspelling).

This one was done with Marty McGuirk. He had already nicely adapted a prototype Bellows Falls, Vermont sign (left) to Everett, Vermont on his layout (center). I simply Letterbashed the name to match the slanting letters in the original sign (right).
So you see the method is versatile and can be used on new and existing signs.

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  11:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Letterbashing" - neat term. I've never thought of describing that way.

Joe <><

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  10:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Joe.

Pete, sent you a PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Commenting earlier on Greg Shinnie's cool sailboat weathervanehttp://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40790&whichpage=21
got me stuck talking like a pirate, but that reminded me of one more museum project. This was the most challenging of the lettering jobs there. It was done while standing on a scaffold on a raft while the Morgan and the raft rock & rolled with the river.

But this was also where the concept of "Letterbashing" began. I'm not a skilled letterer or signpainter. I made a fullsize paper pattern for the name using a font in a Gerber Scientific Signmaker plotter - cutting edge tool at the time, similar to a Cricut. Then, using old photos of the Morgan's transom, I modified the letters by hand to match the photos as closely as I could. If I'd had to do that from scratch I'd probably still be at it.

Edited by - Bill Gill on 05/04/2015 10:09:39 PM

sgtbob
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  11:27:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Bill, I love that photo, being a New Bedford boy. Great job !!!

Bob

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30102
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=51837

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 05/03/2015 :  4:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bob. That was one job I knew I'd be walkin' the plank if messed up.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Rail Scale Miniatures Whispering Falls arrives Topic Next Topic: Reversed Emporium Seafood Company  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000