Railroad Line Forums - AMB LaserKit #709 HO Yard Office
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 160 ]  [ Total: 161 ]  [ Newest Member: PRRJim ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 AMB LaserKit #709 HO Yard Office
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Final Pictures - Sierrawest Scale - Repair Shed Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Scale Logging and Tractor Repair Shed
Page: of 2

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  10:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This 2-story yard office with outside stairway follows a standard B&M design used at Salem, MA and a number of other locations. With a little modification, it will fit West Lynn on my B&M Eastern Route. Mieke started it as her first solo kit.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/21/2015 :  10:36:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The box and its contents after initial staining & painting. For a change, I decided this should have pre-WWII gray/green paint.

Windows are assembled from two self-stick sashes and two laser-cut glazing pieces. The casing and sill are installed on the building side and the window is inserted into the opening.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  08:30:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used that same kit for my yard office, James. it made up into an nice model.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/22/2015 :  9:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I have some of these in various stages of completion, including one that I did as a display model several years ago. They're a fast build and as Bruce mentioned, build into a nice model.

One suggestion would be to reinforce the adhesive with some white or yellow glue-- parts of one of mine have started to lift after several years.

Pete
in Michigan

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  1:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear good things about this kit. It's available in S scale and is on my list of kits to get first.

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 04/26/2015 :  2:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice company and great sized kit for home layouts. Good choice James!
How's the progress going with this structure?

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

bitlerisvj
Fireman

Posted - 04/27/2015 :  10:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My experience with AMB is absolutely positive. The parts come off of the frets fairly easily and really do fit perfectly. There should be no trouble building them at all. It looks like progress is moving along very well.
Regards, Vic B.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  9:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the comments. There have been a couple of minor glitches. First, Mieke found the directions unclear about how to orient the rafter tails, and put them all on backwards. But it only took her about 15 min. to pop them loose and reattach - much quicker than the original assembly:

Then she found the tabs on the shed/coal bin addition too big to fit the slots in the wall. Some joints undid themselves when she pushed, so the slots got enlarged with a knife and the joints are drying a second time:

We'd thought to rearrange the walls so the downstairs 'freight agent' and the upstairs 'yardmaster' would each face their respective domains, but she would have had to completely replace the kit's stairs. So it's done per the instructions.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/28/2015 :  9:51:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good "Learning Experience," and one that will have a very positive result.

Forge on!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  10:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mieke worked on it this afternoon and evening:

Here the roof is finished but not yet painted. She used Tru-Color Weathered Black and found it left too shiny a finish. A coat of Scalecoat Clear Flat fixed that.

The chimney is a decent pewter casting with a molded flue opening, but she drilled it deeper to make a more convincing shadow. Acrylic craft paint didn't stick to it very well. The second try used ancient Floquil Boxcar Red from a can and worked much better.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/29/2015 :  11:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me! Congratulations!

Is she "hooked" yet?

Pete
in Michigan

Frederic Testard
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  07:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done. Always good to see a new hobbyist complete a first model!

tommytrains
New Hire

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  12:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mieke,
Great work !
Tom

miekec
New Hire

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  6:13:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the nice words. I finally caved, and now have my own account here. Will try to post pictures as things progress.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  6:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Forums! You have a great mentor there!

Pete
in Michigan

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  7:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miekec

Thanks for all the nice words. I finally caved, and now have my own account here. Will try to post pictures as things progress.

Mieke, take a second and introduce your self on the new member thread'...all those that have welcomed you, will enjoy seeing your introduction'...

Ted

Edited by - quartergauger48 on 06/01/2015 7:17:49 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Final Pictures - Sierrawest Scale - Repair Shed Topic Next Topic: Sierra West Scale Logging and Tractor Repair Shed  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000