Railroad Line Forums - Bitter Creek Models HO kits
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 81 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Bitter Creek Models HO kits
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Kits on E-Bay Topic Next Topic: Help needed
Page: of 2

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  3:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
I just finished, well nearly finished as there still is some weathering to do, a Bitter Creek Models boxcar kit. It's their new Generic boxcar K-24 which as it is generic I have lettered for my home road. When looking at the photos I have seen things to improve (isn't there always) so you freight car connoisseurs can give me your worst. It was a great kit to assemble and they use laser board for the sides and roof and for the roof walk instead of laser cut wood. I think in my opinion at least that it gives a neater appearance.

I'm also working on their gondola kit which I hope to have ready soon. Its quite a large car and the underside gave me some headache getting the brake gear in place but I found a way that felt likely.

Thanks for looking,
Håkan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  3:36:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good! How sturdy are the laser board sides? Is there support beneath them for strength and to hold the grab irons & attached details?

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks sharp to me!

-Cody

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  3:51:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's does look good Håkan. How about showing us the roof? It's 34'.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  4:16:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank guys!

Bill, the support beneath the laser board is wood. Much like a Labelle boxcar at the ends with wood blocks. Very easy to drill and fit grab irons and NBW details. Where the sides meet the roof there are a 1/8" square wood strip on each side that is supported between the end wood blocks. There are also 1/8" supports for the roof itself. All in all four 1/8" supports. The holes for the grab irons and NBW details are already laser cut into the sides and ends. Assembled the body feels very sturdy.

Bob, I'll take a photo of the roof and post soon. The car is 34'.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  5:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking model. In addition to the 34' overall length, what are the dimensions?

I checked the Bitter Creek website and guess they are not generally available yet. I wonder, will he have a version with grabs on ends rather than sides? (Particular, aren't I?)

Nice job on the construction.

Mike

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  5:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking car! I'm also curious as to how you obtained it, as it seems the Bitter Creek website hasn't been touched in about 3 years. Is there another source of information about them somewhere?

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  5:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!
Its off to bed now but I'll take the measures tomorrow. I think they are available. I bought some trucks from Jeff and thought to ask about the coming kits. He told me they had sold some already on train meets but I was welcome to buy if I wanted to. So I tried the boxcar and the gondola. If I remember correctly I think he did some advertising on the Earlyrail forum about a week ago on the kits and coming trucks.

On the grabs I don't know at the moment. As he laser cuts perhaps he can do a version.

Håkan

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  5:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris! The best way is to drop him an email. I think I saw him advertise on the Earlyrail forum last week.

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  11:17:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just went on his web site, and it still does not show any actual car kits.

Is there anyplace to see what the kits look like, other than yours Sven?

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  04:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, the best is to contact Jeff. He has pictures he can send you. I believe he is quite busy working on a lot of new stuff for us Earlyrailers

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  07:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Håkan,

Thanks for the information. Looks like a lot of welcome items are going to be available. Maybe he is waiting to make a big splash!

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  12:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably a big splash

Here is a photo of the roof. The car is 31mm over the sides and 32mm from the bottom of the frame to the top of the roof walk.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  5:11:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Looks nice from every angle.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2015 :  5:21:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mike!

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/16/2015 :  2:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sven;

Not a criticism, just an fyi, everything I have read in the last couple years suggests that the roofwalks were not painted at all. This is because paint at this timeframe was high gloss only, so when it got wet, or snowy, it got slippery as all get out. As a result brakemen moving on top of cars were more likely to slip, and fall off, so the roofwalks were left unpainted for better traction. Flat paint as we know it today is really a post WWII innovation. Even into the early 60s, the U.S. military still used a semi gloss paint on vehicles, and field equipment, which was the closest to flat they could get. True flat paint did not come into general use until the late 60s.

Horse

Edited by - CavalryTrooper25 on 04/16/2015 2:24:35 PM

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Kits on E-Bay Topic Next Topic: Help needed  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000