Railroad Line Forums - Table saw
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 137 ]  [ Total: 145 ]  [ Newest Member: Ben de Vink ]
 All Forums
 Railroad Line Administrative Forums
 Administrative Posts
 Table saw
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Printer Friendly Function? Topic Next Topic: Creating a Table Within a Build THREAD  

stvlxx
New Hire

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  11:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe this isn't the right place but I'm looking to buy a table saw: Proxxon or Microlux... does anybody have any suggestions. The work would be for various materials and I can't afford a Byrnes.

Stev

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  11:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Micro Mark... They sell the lines..
Mike M

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  11:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two micro table saws.

Dremel 4" table saw is one possible option. For my use, the saw is actually to big in the hobby work bench area. The saw blade also tends to wobble a bit, but that issue can easily be resolved. In reality, the saw lives in a storage bucket in my storage locker.

The Jarmac 4' table saw is what I personally use and I'm very happy with it. It sits on a small table top next to my work bench.

The table below may be of value to you as you can compare various saws:
http://www.toolerant.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/micro-table-saw-table1.jpg

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Edited by - hon3_rr on 04/09/2015 11:44:49 PM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2015 :  09:50:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Proxxon will cost you a little more but youíll never regret it. Itís money well spent. I bought mine from McFeelys.com. I have the PX-7006 which cost $129. Itís the standard table saw, they also have a deluxe one with a tilting blade but the cost goes up to $398.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2015 :  11:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Proxxon saw is the same as the older MicroMark saws. That's A Good Thing, since the the MicroMark accessories fit the similar Proxxon saw. The two items I'd recommend from MicroMark are the crosscut table and a set of the zero clearance throat inserts. The latter are essential if you expect to do any ripping of thin wood, and if you are, the MicroMark adjustable fence is probably a good idea.

As far as blades, I most frequently use the 24 tooth carbide blade for crosscuts, and the 168 tooth/.032 blade for rip cuts on thin wood.

I'm very happy with the Proxxon saw and the MicroMark accessories for same.

By the way, at the bottom of this page are photos of how the new MicroMark saw is being used: http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=49.1005

dave

p.s. Since we don't have a specific forum for tools, maybe this entire thread should be moved to the Scratchbuilding forum.

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 04/10/2015 11:45:45 AM

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  6:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the older Micro Mark tilt saw and am very happy with it. However, I have not had success with the 0 inserts. The plastic would melt when I lifted the blade into them the first time, even at the low setting for blade speed. Perhaps I should have raised the blade slower? At any rate I am now making my own inserts from 1/16 and 1/64 inch hobby shop plywood glued together to equal the 2 mm thickness of the original throat plates.

I agree this thread would be better located in Scratch building.

Reg Barron

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  7:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cracked the first acrylic zero-clearance insert. The second time went OK, I ran the saw at medium speed and fed the blade slowly up through the insert. I've cut both carbide thickness and slitting saw thickness slots into Micro-Mark's acrylic inserts. I also did a plywood insert at one point for the carbide blades.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  10:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Dave
When I used to make inserts I would put a piece of plywood on top of the insert before raising the blade to keep it from rising as the cut was made. cut at standard wood speeds. Nothing special.
Mike M

Previous Topic: Printer Friendly Function? Topic Next Topic: Creating a Table Within a Build THREAD  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000