Railroad Line Forums - Railroad Fonts
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 193 ]  [ Total: 195 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Railroad Fonts
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Update and model variations for Bowser Red Barn Topic Next Topic: MDC Shay replacement motors
Page: of 3

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/18/2015 :  11:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am wanting to print some decals with my laser printer in HO scale. Does anyone know of a piece of software with railroad fonts that works? Oh yea, cheap too. I am using Windows 7, 64 bit OS. Thanks...John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

Norton
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  01:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

If you have Microsoft Office installed, look at the font list within Word. There are many type styles there you could use for railroad fonts. If your system is pretty new, you may have Word and Excel installed as part of a starter pack. The last laptop I got had that. Since they are pre-installed, that's about as cheap as you can get, FREE! If you don't have that then this is not an inexpensive solution for you. You will have to experiment with the sizes to see what would fit appropriately but it's a place to start.

The V & T lives in my garage. Soon...

Norton

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  08:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Copperplate" is a font that may already be preloaded on your computer. It also has a bold face version. Both look a lot like "RR Roman". "Engravers MT" is another font you might have. It can pass as an extended "RR Roman" font. For sans serif letters, the "Franklin" and "Futura" families of fonts can serve well and they are very likely already loaded too.

If you can get a copy of the October 2010 issue of RMC, I had an article called "Letterbashing" which introduced a way to customize lettering from computer fonts beyond merely stretching or squeezing the text. I use GIMP which is a freebie open source program similar to PhotoShop.

Here are a couple examples of what you can do:

The E in the yellow box is a letter straight from a font on my computer, the three following it were letterbashed to be subtly, but noticeably different.

You can make simple or elaborate variations to suit your needs. Notice the new, older looking, tail on the third "R".

Edited by - Bill Gill on 03/19/2015 08:49:40 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  08:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are on-line sources for fonts, too.

https://www.searchfreefonts.com/font/railroad-gothic.htm

Bruce

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  08:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill,

Neat little trick. Bill's good at doing that. He redesigned my Avatar Logo I use.

I think somewhere down the line I'm going to have to have you do my railroad logo so I can get some decals made.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  09:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, Bruce, I pass this along with reluctance as I do not want to spread misinformation. A couple graphics people I've been in touch with caution about downloading free fonts, claiming they often come with malware at no extra charge. I cannot substantiate this is in any way, but if you look for free fonts, check out the source.

Another thing to keep in mind, you can search for fonts for a particular time period, say 1940 just for an example, and you will find many fonts listed. However, a little searching will disclose that most of them have been designed within the past couple years. "Inspired by" or "Suggested by" might be a generous way of describing how accurate many of them are. Does it make a difference? Well how does this look to you?

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  11:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your computer has a lot of fonts that were used for Railroads, for example, the Gorre & Daphetid by John Allen used the following fonts.
Also, searching the web gives some free fonts like this link; http://www.1001freefonts.com/ifc_railroad.font second example shown below.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill Gill...I have downloaded the "GIMP Image Editor for Windows", the latest stable version. That "R" with the curved tail sold me. This looks like it would be great for general signage besides car letting.
Louis...As usual, you have opened another door for me. I have Microsoft Word 2010 on another computer but for some reason I did not think it would have any fonts I could use. I am assuming the fonts you showed are from Word. I do have another free word processing software package and New Times Roman Bold looks like something that will work.
By the way,I use SourceForge for any web downloading as they seem to be highly regarded as a safe download source.
Thanks to all for your input....John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  5:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just ran across a web site: www.railfonts.com.
There are a lot of railroad specific lettering types here. UP style, SP Daylight in 3 versions and so on. Only thing, they are a bit pricey. UP font alone is $14.95 plus shipping.
Louis....I checked out the web site you posted. A person could spend hours here looking through different fonts. Thanks again....John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  8:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john holt

Bill Gill...I have downloaded the "GIMP Image Editor for Windows", the latest stable version. That "R" with the curved tail sold me. This looks like it would be great for general signage besides car letting.
Louis...As usual, you have opened another door for me. I have Microsoft Word 2010 on another computer but for some reason I did not think it would have any fonts I could use. I am assuming the fonts you showed are from Word. I do have another free word processing software package and New Times Roman Bold looks like something that will work.
By the way,I use SourceForge for any web downloading as they seem to be highly regarded as a safe download source.
Thanks to all for your input....John

Hi John, yes Word has a limited number of fonts (Computer-Local Disc(C)-Windows-Fonts)however not many for Railroad use. I have many other Fonts that came with other programs, and greeting card programs that work well for Railroad use.
I'm glad you are looking through the link provided for ideas.
Also, when printing up decals for HO Scale try to keep from using fancy letters & numbers, they won't look clear/readable and are difficult to print. I went through many before I was somewhat happy.
Here is what I settled for. The colored one doesn't look or show up on anything. I found making simple graphics and letters in white or gold look the best on my steam era equipment.

Louis

Edited by - desertdrover on 03/19/2015 9:01:41 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  10:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since we're on the subject of railroad fonts and decals, has anybody seen this on RMC?

http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/extraboard/cm_extra_whitedecalpaper.php

White lettering made easy. I haven't tried it, but it looks pretty good.

Louis, nice link to those railroad fonts. Thanks.

Bernd

WWG1WGA

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  07:30:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This thread caught my interest as I had a couple of Railroad Fonts on my old computer and not on this one. Luckily I had the old HD put in an external case so I could recover those fonts and install them on this system.

The are:

Railroad Roman 1916 Normal Regularl
Railroad Roman 1916 Ultra-Expan Regular

The links above were via a search on the names of the ones on my computer.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  09:22:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, Yes, GIMP is handy for any kind of signmaking. I think you'll find it useful for many kinds of other projects too. Have you used anything similar? It's quirky to figure out at first. I'm not remotely an expert, but enjoy experimenting with it. If I can help you figure out how to use it, feel free to contact me. There also are numerous videos on YouTube - some are useful in showing how the different tools can work. One fundamental concept to get a handle on early is working in layers.

Also, you may have more fonts on your computer than what came with Word. Check the font folder on your hard drive. printers and other software usually come with fonts that get added when they are installed.

john holt
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  11:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis....How are you printing white decals? Alps printer? They look just fine. I checked the link to the decal paper that turns white when dry, but it looks like it has a black background. I don't know if background colors can be changed or made clear. I was hoping to use a laser decal paper called Thin Film Metal Foil, or something similar in name brand with my HP laserjet printer.....John

GULF COAST & WESTERN

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  09:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by john holt

Louis....How are you printing white decals? Alps printer? They look just fine. I checked the link to the decal paper that turns white when dry, but it looks like it has a black background. I don't know if background colors can be changed or made clear. I was hoping to use a laser decal paper called Thin Film Metal Foil, or something similar in name brand with my HP laserjet printer.....John

Hi John. Yes, I have an Alps printer but the white ink is almost impossible to find and non-existent. I could never understand why a printer that was so different from the ordinary, and could be the only one to do white, that other printer companies wouldn't have made one also. How hard is that!
We have all kinds of printer companies, and none of them can do white.
That decal paper that turns white does need a background, and takes away from being a nice printed decal. Even after cutting close to the lettering, it will show.

Louis

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/21/2015 :  11:00:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis
Which Alps do you have and which version of windows is it running on? I have 3 white cartridges for my mine.
Mike M

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Update and model variations for Bowser Red Barn Topic Next Topic: MDC Shay replacement motors  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000