Railroad Line Forums - Silver City Models
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 58 ]  [ Total: 61 ]  [ Newest Member: Marty J ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Silver City Models
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Check some of these out Topic Next Topic: Some of my roster
Page: of 5

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/10/2015 :  5:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone ever heard of this outfit?

Seems to be a small resin casting shop that does both HO scale old time freight cars, and modern 1/25th scale Formula one race car shells. I found (purely by accident) their link on E-Gay, and decided to try out a couple of their kits. They had a casting for a low side gondola (reminded me of the old Tyco/Mantua "1860" gondola, and what they called a bottom dump hopper (which looked to me more like a bottom dump high side gondola). Anyway, I sent them a PM asking if they had a website. Once the kits arrive, I will photograph them, and post a report.

Horse

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/10/2015 :  5:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be confused with SilverCrashCarWorks, which produces really nice models of 1890s-1910s era cars from western lines.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  03:03:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw them on Ebay the other day and bought one of their hopper cars:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RESIN-20-HOPPER-CAR-HO-SCALE-KIT-HO-HON3-TRAINS-/221712451537?

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  12:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mason;

Yep, that is them. This particular kit, the bottom dump hopper looks very similar to the drawings of the P&R (Reading RR) early coal gondolas. They also offer a low side gon, that I'll try also.

Have you received your kits yet Mason?

Looking forward to them!

Horse

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  12:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered a couple of the small hoppers. They're very similar to old Red Ball kits, I think.

dave

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  12:45:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave;

IIRC Red Ball based it's kit on the P&R design. Not certain, but I do recall hearing that once.

Horse

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/11/2015 :  2:47:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Dave, they look like the old red ball kits. That's not a bad thing. The Red balls kit were will done for their day.

It's only make-believe

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  06:02:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not received them yet. Guess you will receive them quicker as they have to travel over the pond to me.

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/12/2015 :  12:20:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

I have not received them yet. Guess you will receive them quicker as they have to travel over the pond to me.

Håkan

Understood. I expect mine on Saturday 14 Mar., or Monday at the latest.

Will photograph, and give a report ASAP thereafter.

Horse

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/15/2015 :  9:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got 3 of their hoppers yesterday. They're nice kits, the castings are clean and generally flat. One casting had a bubble hole in it on the back side that I filled with Bondo.

First I sanded (sandpaper glued to a marble tile, so it's flat) the castings to smooth them out and remove them from the flash. Then I cleaned in my 10% solution of "Super Clean" and let air dry.

I sanded off the cast-on grabs on the sides, and constructed a jig to drill holes for metal grabirons:

The tool on the left is a cut-down fingernail file glued to a reinforcing wood strip, to be used to file down the coupler box area. I'll be using Kadee #711s.

Here's the basic assembled model (without the top piece.) You can see some of the Bondo where I filled the hole

I'm ordering Bitter Creek 1880s wood beam (4' wheelbase/33" wheels) for this. Normally I use 2/56 truck screws, but for this I'll be using 0-80 for both trucks and couplers. I'm expecting to have to insert a bushing/sleeve in the truck mounting hole.

These make a great 1 or 2 evening project, I'm very happy for $8. I hope he does another run, I'll definitely buy some more.

dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  01:05:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks, for the review, the car looks good.

It's only make-believe

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  8:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received my cars on Saturday. I ordered some of his 20' low side gondolas, and some of his drop bottom hoppers, (same thing Dave ordered)

Since Dave already showed the kit in progress, I will show you how they arrive.

First pic of how they are packaged:

Low side gon:

It is a very simple casting. Will clean up easily, and with some added details will make a nice addition to your roster.

I am leaning toward a 5' wheelbase truck, and will experiment with applying queenposts and truss rodding, as well as an end brake staff. You can see the few air bubbles in the casting. One option is to fill the bubble as Dave has done. Another option is to drill it through, then leave it open like a hole in the floor, which of course, it is.

The cars are pretty light, so a load will help them to run better in trains, by adding weight. Another option would be to just set them off on a siding for eyewash.

I plan to remove the two wings on at the coupler pad, and install link pin couplers. I will try drilling, and tapping a 2/56 hole for truck mounting, but if the resin won't retain threads, then, as Dave was discussing, I sleeve the hole, and tap the sleeve.

Being such a short car, I will use the Tichy split K brake parts, and plumb them as I do the Tyco/Mantua 1860 low side gon.

Horse

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  9:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wrong, it isn't the Tyco 1860 flat, it is the flat/low side gon kit that is also offered with the add on blacksmith setup. Not sure, but I think that was an MDC/Roundhouse, but just not positive.

As you can see, I use the Tichy split K, and add a pipe between the two pieces.

This setup should work on the short Silver City low side gon.

Horse

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  9:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now for the dump bottom gondola/hopper.

The instruction sheet is nicely laid out, is clear, and easily followed.

Now the castings themselves.

These are the three sets of castings, laid out for comparison.

This is the underside of the floor. It looks to me as you have the option to apply the casting for the drop bottom, or leave it off, and make the car as a medium side gondola, with slope sheets.

Top side of floor casting

These are the side boards, the slope sheets, the drop bottom, and one of the two cross member supports.

The other side of those castings.

The end castings.

The inside of those castings.

Clearly this car will take more work, but will also produce a nice car. Note: that on the outside of the two sideboard castings, are cast on ratchet boxes for the bar to hold the chain to return the bottom hatches to the closed position after emptying the car. You could drill the center out, install a piece of wire, with chain hanging down, and fitted to an eyelet, one on each half, or two on one side (depending on what style of hatch you want) for the closure, but then on the out side of the car, you could mount a larger brake wheel to serve as the wheel to turn the rod to wrap the chains. Personally, since I want to see this nice casting, I will mount my wheel offset, leaving the ratchet casting visible. Then paint it black, or some other color than the car, to accentuate the casting.

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2015 :  1:43:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reviews Dave and Horse! Mine arrived today and must say looked very promising. I'll definitely order some more.

Håkan

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2015 :  11:02:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I started with one of the low side gondolas, since Dave was already doing the hopper.

I have cleaned up the casting, removed the cast on grab irons, then added wire grab irons. I removed the cast on step castings, as I thought they were to thick, then after cleaning the area, I drilled an installed wire drop steps. I then drilled, and tapped the mounts for the trucks. I will be using 5 foot arch bar trucks. I will apply the link/pin couplers on this car, so coupler cut levers are not appropriate here.

I had to fill one major air bubble in the casting. I used Squadron green putty, than after it had cured, I filed/sanded it to shape.

Here is the progress so far:

Next step will be adding queen posts, and brake gear (probably the Tichy split K because of the space constraints) on the underside, and a staff, and ratchet on the upper side.

Horse

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: Check some of these out Topic Next Topic: Some of my roster  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000