Railroad Line Forums - It's The Way The Resin Crumbles
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 117 ]  [ Total: 118 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 It's The Way The Resin Crumbles
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: sound affects Topic Next Topic: Signs For Structures
Page: of 2

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  12:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Help!!
I bought Micro Mark mold putty and casting resin, and followed with the directions, but every time I make a cast with the resin in the mold it crumbles when I take the dried cast from the mold. No matter what I do to follow directions, the result's always the same
"This skin reserved for Silver Fox Cape For Mrs. Van Dough."
--from Looney Tunes' Fox Pop

fockewulf37
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  1:39:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit fockewulf37's Homepage  Send fockewulf37 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not knowing the resin you have... Are to getting the right ratios. Some resins require a scale to get the correct ratio... Pt cast many parts a week and have not run into that problem...

Ty

n/a
deleted

Posted - 02/13/2015 :  1:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a440

- Could not enough hardener (by weight or by volume)
- contaminated mixing bowels, etc
- uncompatible colourant
- too many airbubbles in resin
- resin not compatible with mold or mold release
- wet or contaminated mold

These are some of the common reasons I know about.

marty

Marty

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/15/2015 :  7:37:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need to consult with forum member, Sgt Bob.
If it's information regarding resins or casting questions, he's your man. Either PM him or send him an email.

Rich

Hodgdon scale models
New Hire

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  07:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hodgdon scale models's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've found that humidity can cause this crumbling problem, also cold temperatures and not letting the mold release spray dry on the mold before casting. Don't let the resins become damp or contaminated by moisture, that seems to be the biggest cause I've found for the crumbling problem. Your resin may be contaminated and beyond recovery.

Jim

Coaltrain
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  07:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What resin of theirs are you using. I have used a few different types of Micromark resin and never have that trouble, maybe your resin is bad. You can remove the part before the resin fully cures as long as you lay it on a flat surface. When the resin cures but is still pliable pull the part from the mold and lay in on some wax paper that is on a flat surface.

If you do have a lot of air bubbles in the resin your casting will be very fragile. Micromark makes a "water clear" risen that you can pour in your mold and see if there are trapped air bubbles, use a tooth pick to untrap the bubbles. Mix the resin in a small cup, use a flat stick and make sure you scrape the sides and bottom of the cup to fully mix the resin, then I like to pour the resin into a second cup, pour slowly and keep the cups far apart so you get a thin stream to help release trapped air from the mixing process. Also when pouring into the second cup keep the receiving cup tilted and pour onto the side of the receiving cup, like you are trying to keep a beer from foaming. Pour the same way into your mold, keep a thin pour stream and pour on a side so the resin flows into the mold. Only pour a small amount into the mold and poke the resin down into any deep holes so the air comes out, then pour the rest very slowly, check for more trapped air.

Micromark makes a slower setting resin that works better because you get more time to get rid of air. I know it seems tempting to get the fast cure resin because it will seem like you can make more parts faster, but you will just end up making more parts and taking longer because you will end up with too many bad parts and wasted resin with the fast cure stuff. It would be easier if you had a vacuum chamber to pull the air out, or many forum members have made pressure chambers from plumbing pipe. I am going to build a pressure chamber myself. The idea of the pressure chamber is that you pour your resin, place the part in the chamber, crank up the pressure and force the bubbles to shrink in size. Air bubbles are going to be your biggest issue with casting resin parts.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  07:59:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cut my teeth on using Micro Mark resin for casting. When I pressure cast the parts I found the castings to be very brittle and broke easily.

Micro Mark resins are ratio mixed. The better casting suppliers such as Smooth On and them are mixed by weight. The Micro Mark stuff is pretty forgiving as far as a ratio mix is concerned. Those are my findings with Micro Mark.

Bernd

n/a
deleted

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  5:22:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which of the Smooth On resins do you think are best for small detailed parts?

Marty

Marty

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/17/2015 :  10:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ojaste

Which of the Smooth On resins do you think are best for small detailed parts?

Marty

I've only worked with the Smooth Cast 300 so far. Have had any problems. I haven't tried pressure casting the Smooth On though.

Bernd

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  07:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this sounds like a really oddquestion, but did you call Micro Mark? Seems like thats the first place you ask for advice and help?
Mike M

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  08:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Re-reading the original post I noticed he said he was using "mold putty". What I'm thinking he's trying to use this. Link:http://www.micromark.com/composimold-heat-and-pour-mold-rubber-10-oz,10894.html

Bernd

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  10:28:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 days and the OP hasn't responded. I wonder if he's interested in the answers?

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  12:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

I was thinking the same. Or he just plain gave up.

According to his account he's only 17.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/18/2015 12:51:01 PM

a440
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/18/2015 :  2:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

No.I use a two part putty one white one violet.
Also, the reason I haven't replied is because I was busy with family matters, sorry
Anyhoo, thanks for the advice, I'll look into these and maybe buy a new batch of resin, maybe that may help

"This skin reserved for Silver Fox Cape For Mrs. Van Dough."
--from Looney Tunes' Fox Pop

Edited by - a440 on 02/18/2015 2:41:21 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  3:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In my search to fine more information on resin casting I came across this web site posting on the FineScalerr.com forum.

http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=1024.0

It goes into quite a bit of detail on making thin resin castings. Found some great ideas to use once I get back into casting.

Bernd

n/a
deleted

Posted - 02/19/2015 :  4:13:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used smooth on 300 and it was good for general things without deep and thin edges. I did lots of castings with Task 4 and it was better. I now have Task 2 and will be trying sometime soon to see how it does.

Marty

Marty

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: sound affects Topic Next Topic: Signs For Structures  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000