Railroad Line Forums - Wrought Iron Stack -need assist
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 290 ]  [ Total: 293 ]  [ Newest Member: HolmesELP ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Wrought Iron Stack -need assist
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pink styrofoam carving Topic Next Topic: Mod Podge for Water
Page: of 2

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  10:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to model two different sizes of wrought iron smoke stacks for the New York Mill I'm constructing.

I was going to try to use balsa foam but now feel that trying to create a thin wall tube in foam will not work. Even if one could carve the tube it would be much too brittle.

I would like to work with a metal tube like brass, but my skills are beyond lacking for metal work. So metal is not an option.

Plastic/styrene is the next option. I can file the stack opening fairly thin and scribe in the panels in styrene tubing. I've also considered trying to locate stacks from a different model, like a river paddlewheel boat.

I've ruled out paper as this model will may be used in clinics and shows. I just don't think paper will be sturdy enough.

Can anyone recall any build threads which included information on making wrought iron stacks?

Also, any alternative ideas are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  10:38:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Drinking straws come in various diameters with very thin walls. Visit some local eateries and peruse the selection. Most places have coffee stirrer straws which are about 1/8 diameter, dollar stores sell 1/2 straws, Arbys and Mc D's have larger straws.......

Find the size you need, spray flat black, weather to taste.

Karl.A

UKGuy
Fireman

Posted - 01/20/2015 :  10:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit UKGuy's Homepage  Send UKGuy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you want to add rivet or seam detail do this by wrapping the straw in tape in the appropriate places/pattern prior to painting.

Karl.A

Edited by - UKGuy on 01/20/2015 10:47:49 PM

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  01:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What diameter are you shooting for? I used some brass tube for the stack on my tugboat scratchbuild. You don't have to solder the seams in, styrene strip will glue to brass with AC easily.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  08:54:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a photo of what you are attempting to model? Dimensions? Even a sketch?

BurleyJim

Take the red pill

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  1:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Guys for the input. It is helpful.

--Karl: Can't believe that I spaced out on the straw idea. Totally forgot about it for some reason. Thanks for the rap on the back of the head for this 'probee'.

--Glen: Great idea. I'm concerned on the width of the styrene tubing for seam bands however as I was thinking of panel lines more like a knife edge score line. Do you have a pic of your stacks which you could post or point me to your build. I'm really interested to see how the technique turned out.

Jim: Per request see below. The large stack measures 1/4 inch and the small stack is 3/16th inch as measured on the plans. A few pictures (which one can zoom in for better views) of the mill can be viewed here:
http://gilpintram.com/newyorkmill.html

-- KP --

Edited by - hon3_rr on 01/21/2015 1:38:16 PM

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  1:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could buy a dowel that is slightly smaller than the smokestack size, then wrap it with styrene or even cardboard that has the embossed rivet lines. If the dowel is 1/2" or more shorter than the wrapper and everything inside s painted black, you'd never know the chimney isn't hollow all the way down.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Dave D
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  2:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Dave D's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
KP I'd use brass tube in the sizes you listed.

Measure and mark the seams and mount it in a drill press or a secured drill.

Then I'd use the tip of an old exacto blade to scrape the seams into the brass tube with the drill running at a slow to medium speed.

Cut it to length and your good to go.

No real metal working skills needed.

No need to make a fancy base, just drill a hole into the models base drop a little epoxy in and pop the painted and weathered stack in.

Maybe even add some eyelets for guy wires.

Dave

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  6:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Kris, I agree with the others about using brass tubing for this iron stack that you need.
I put this quick easy lesson together for you.
This is a brass tube that I used on my Seafood Emporium diorama.

And I used a little tube cutter to score the lines into it.

Just measure the spacing you want between the lines and mark those locations with a pencil.
Place your pipe cutter on your pencil mark, and tighten the pipe cutter on your mark, and rotate the brass tubing in the cutter.
You don't want to tighten the pipe cutter around the brass tubing to much, so it doesn't cut the through your brass tubing, just enough to leave a nice line around your brass tubing.

I wrapped & glued some thin styrene around the top, which you could easily glue guy wires on, and then painted & weathered the stack a bit.
Hope this helps!

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 01/21/2015 6:27:37 PM

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  8:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Greg's solution. If you have an old radio with a 'telescoping' antenna, maybe you can salvage the tubing in the different sizes.

Take the red pill

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  8:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow.. outstanding ideas and suggested techniques to accomplish the construction from a bunch of my modeling heros!! Thanks all.

I know that the ideas presented will provide not only myself, but others with modeling options.

I'm inclined to try the brass tube since there is such strong counsel to go to metal, even though I had ruled it out. As I have the tube cutter, I am thinking of trying Greg's suggestion as it produces the stack details which I envisioned.

Again, thanks all for the input.

-- KP --

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 01/21/2015 :  10:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Greg's solution as well. It's better than my idea with the styrene strip.

rda
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2015 :  06:49:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tube cutter, THAT is a "light-bulb" idea.

RDA

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 01/29/2015 :  9:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
tube cutter! gotta remember that!

I was gonna suggest a big drinking stray over a dowel, spray paint flat black. To my eye that is enough detail, and simple can often be more convincing than a ton of rivets, etc.

Just a thought

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/05/2016 :  3:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just as an update, pictured below is what I came up with using a brass (large diameter stack) and aluminum (thin stack) tubing and Greg's suggested use of a tube cutter. Thanks Greg for the excellent input. Coloring of the stacks may be found on page 24 of the following thread: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44353

-- KP --

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  4:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kris,

The stacks look terrific. Do you have any extra's you want to sell??
Rich

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Pink styrofoam carving Topic Next Topic: Mod Podge for Water  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000