Railroad Line Forums - HO scale school light globes.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 253 ]  [ Total: 259 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigs704 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 HO scale school light globes.
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nice weathering on a boxcar Topic Next Topic: SIerrwest Repair Shed - Relaunch
Page: of 3

vzjtothalo
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  08:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Send vzjtothalo an AOL message  Reply with Quote

John Loesch

dallas_m
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  09:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brilliant!

Cheers,
Dallas

Chambers Gas & Oil -- structure build
Quality craftsmanship with a sense of humor!

mecrr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ed, your efforts are over the top and Greg, your utilization of Greg's work keeps pushing the modeling envelope. Great work guys.
David

A Maine Expatriate living in the valley of Northern California - Modeling in HO.
David Stickney

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  1:29:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for your kind remarks!
I've had some PM's about how far the LED should be from the hubcap, prior to inserting it into the globe hole.
And how far/deep I drilled into the school globe.
I only drill about half way down through the school globe.
These nano LED's are pretty small so that left lots of space for the LED to get into.
Sorry I did not photograph those steps before, but I do have a photo from another light that I've done that's very much like this one.
This photo shows the LED sticking out from the end of the tubing, so that the LED will actually go down into the hole in the globe.
You just add a little glue to your globe and glue the globe to your little cover plate/hubcap in this case.

I hope this clears up any confusion, that I might have caused.

Greg Shinnie

Paul Smulders
Engine Wiper

Posted - 12/01/2014 :  11:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellant work fellas, really top notch.

Paul

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally! Here are two of the HO scale schoolhouse globes that SketchUp virtuoso Ed Traxler drew up and got printed by Shapeways. Ed also designed the same globe in O scale. Check them out at: http://micromimesis.com/products/ho-16in-schoolhouse-globes/

These two photos are only tests of the HO scale globes. A single light was temporaily set up at the front end of each aisle in a 1950s Vermont general store. The final installation will mount two lights in each aisle and a fifth light centered at the rear of the store. The five lights will provide all the interior ilumination and they will be lit even in the daytime because the store is otherwise dimly iluminated only through two front windows.

Lighting wizard Greg Shinnie deftly assembled the five fixtures as he described earlier in this thread. He then drove them all the way from Canada to the Amherst Train Show in a raging snow storm to surprise "Chicken Bill" Gill who balked at driving nowhere near the same distance. Fortunately Greg entrusted the globes to Bill's son at the show and "Chicken" got them the next day. (Is this forum great, hey?)

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  5:38:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the O scale version. I added a cap and orderd micro LEDs off of eBay from China. As soon as I can stop a bit will mount one in a structure much like Bill did. (these haven't been cleaned yet .. why they are shiny)

Edited by - eTraxx on 04/07/2015 5:39:08 PM

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  5:49:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By the standard of February 2015, no storm in January was 'raging', but it does make a good narrative for a new level of excellence in interior lighting.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  8:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, that store looks FANTASTIC!! Just another example of excellent modeling from the Gill workshop.
My parents taught me the meaning of life long ago, we are all put on this earth, to help one another.
It's just that simple.

Greg Shinnie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  9:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

By the standard of February 2015, no storm in January was 'raging', but it does make a good narrative for a new level of excellence in interior lighting.

jbvb, we compress distances and volumes on our layouts to present the essence of our scenes...a little narrative compression... ;)

Greg, I was going to say something inane like 'It takes a forum to light a village', but this really was a neat collaboration with you and Ed.

BurleyJim
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/07/2015 :  10:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding!

Take the red pill

fwms
Section Hand

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  08:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

[/quote]
Ed, as soon as you have the O scale lights perfected, I will be purchasing them from you. Let me know how you like the mini bulbs from China, and what outfit you ordered them from>>>>
[/quote]

Me too...

Fred

"It is not true that people stop pursuing dreams because they grow old - they grow old because they stop pursuing dreams" Gabriel Garcia Marques

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 04/08/2015 :  9:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The LEDs are T1206 SMD LED off of eBay - http://goo.gl/Wr16LE

I orderd 20 and have 19 (by the way .. if you are playing around and turn up the voltage without the resistor you can ACTUALLY here one pop!) - They come with resistors which is cool.

So .. anyhoo .. my plan is to bundle light globes w/LEDs .. since they come from China it takes a month.

anyhoo .. these are surface mount LEDs which means the light is on one side which means if used you would have to turn the light so that is facing out. No biggie.

I had to set the camera to Shutter priority and 1/500 shutter speed to get the pics.

One thing is I kinda outsmarted myself. I made the globes hollow .. and wax was trapped inside. I had to poke small pieces of cotton and swirl them around inside with alcohol to get it out.

closetguy
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2015 :  11:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit closetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
another phenomenal detail.
Mike M

jatravia
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2015 :  9:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was in Barnes and Noble picking up a gift for someone ... and a copy of the April RMC ... and was standing in the check out queue when I looked up and saw ...

I never gave those light fixtures a second thought before.

Joe <><

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Nice weathering on a boxcar Topic Next Topic: SIerrwest Repair Shed - Relaunch  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000