Railroad Line Forums - HO scale school light globes.
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 71 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 HO scale school light globes.
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Nice weathering on a boxcar Topic Next Topic: SIerrwest Repair Shed - Relaunch
Page: of 3

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone, I was contacted this summer by a gentleman named Bill Gill.
Bill had seen my interest in lighting here on the forums, and wondered if I had any interest or ideas on how to make these old style school light fixtures.
They were used in stores as well, and even in factories, but for some reason or another became known as school lights.
Anyways...to make a long story shorter, Bill had got in touch with forum member here, Ed Traxler (eTraxx) who was able to draw up a design for these globes using computer software.
And even better, he could then, have them 3D printed for us.
Ed then sent them too Bill, and then Bill sent me 5 of these globes to see how they would look lit using LED's.
This is how they looked when they arrived.

Upon my first inspection of these globes, I thought they looked amazing! Very tiny, but amazing.
I started by carefully removing one of the globes using a single edge razor.
Here is a better look at a single globe, with it's perfect school light shape.

Now to see how these globes are going to look lit up, I needed to drill a hole into the globe.
I used a 1/16th inch bit to do so.
Drilling down from the top of the globe, down into the globe.
Just enough to allow a Nano LED to fit inside of it.

This is how the hole looked when completed.

I then used the .018 OD Stainless tubing from Ngineering and HO scale Baby Moon hub caps also from Ngineering to make up the rest of this school light.
The hub cap would make a perfect sized cover for the top of the globe.

As well I used the Nano super incandescent LED's to light it.

So I carefully fed my magnet wires into the tubing and shade cover, leaving just the nano LED sticking out a little from the hub cap.
I then carefully glued the globe onto the hub cap cover, and hooked it up to my tester.
At first I was thinking that these globes would need to be painted white, but after seeing how they looked lit up, I was really happy with the look.

So I want to thank Bill Gill and Ed Traxler for putting their heads together, and coming up with these very cool globes, that everyone will find very useful when it comes to interior lighting.
Way to go Bill & Ed!!!

Greg Shinnie

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  1:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like Jerry said, "excellent"!

George

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  1:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one outstanding light globe, and a great idea at lighting it. Now how long before they hit the market place? That is a hit among lighting details Greg!

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  1:34:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

This is fabulous, and a great tribute to Forums cooperation! Thanks for posting this, for the SBS and to all who were involved in making these a reality!

Pete
in Michigan

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  1:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darn! Those came out great. One of the reasons i wanted them passed around for 'testing' was that I thought it would make sense to print the hole for the LED with the globes .. but that would require some 'figuring out' :) .. once you guys can tell me the size of the hole (1/16) for sure .. or even make them hollow

here's a screen-grab of several versions I was playing around with. That center one is probably about as large as the globes could be opened up and still have the walls print.

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  2:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding.
Now I need to get my bloody paws on some of the globe spues.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  2:27:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
NP. Once the design is finalized I will array 50 /100 and put up on Shapeways so anyone can order.

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  2:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eTraxx

Darn! Those came out great. One of the reasons i wanted them passed around for 'testing' was that I thought it would make sense to print the hole for the LED with the globes .. but that would require some 'figuring out' :) .. once you guys can tell me the size of the hole (1/16) for sure .. or even make them hollow

here's a screen-grab of several versions I was playing around with. That center one is probably about as large as the globes could be opened up and still have the walls print.

Hi Ed. Thanks again for your excellent work in bringing these school light globes into reality!
It would be nice to have the hole cast right into the globe, the one in the middle works best for my purposes, but it doesn't have that nice little lip on the top.
That little lip, was perfect for fitting my cover/hubcap onto.
Or even better yet, do it as a 2 part/piece, with a cover cap (like shown on your first sample) that plugs snugly into the hole in the globe.
Still leaving enough room for the LED inside the globe, when the cap cover is added.

Greg Shinnie

Edited by - Ensign on 11/29/2014 4:52:30 PM

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  4:27:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And don't forget to upsize them for O scale.

wesleybeks
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  4:31:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool collaboration guys. Turned out pretty good in my opinion.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  5:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg and Ed, That is incredible work. ED please make some in O scale.....for sale on Shapeways...
Thanks in advance....

ted :<)

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  6:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted - can do.

Everyone .. here's restrictions/guidelines that need to be followed .. or at least taken into account.

When designing these you have to keep in mind the material .. in this case FUD (Frosted Ultra Detail) - this is the material having the most detail possible and also translucent.

FUD has a couple of minimums.

Minimum detail: .1mm/.0039in. FUD is an acrylic polymer that is 'squirted out' from a nozzle something like an ink jet printer. Each layer is hardened with UV light. The .1mm is the smallest droplet of polymer.

Minimum wall: .3mm/.0118in. This is just what it says .. the thinnest that a wall can be printed. Most of the time it helps to keep it larger as this is really thin .. and delicate. Objects like the globes where the shape is curved the object is stronger because of that curve.

Version One: This is a cross-section of the original drawing taken directly from a photo of a schoolhouse light globe.
16in. dia. = 4.68mm in HO. Note the 0.06mm groove between the globe and cap. That can't be done .. look back at the minimum detail of .1mm ...

Version Two: So .. the first thing I did was fill in that groove. This is just the minimum change to print this globe version .. probably. It is a toss-up sometimes whether the software checking your mesh at Shapeways will see something as a detail .. or a wall. I don't think it is always automatic .. sometimes the operator decides (shrug)

Version Three: There was some discussion as to what would be used as a 'cap'. Not getting a consensus I just 'whacked off' the top .. gotta start somewhere. Greg Shinnie used HO scale Baby Moon hub caps to make his cap which seems to work fine. So say the dia is fine. Here .. I just made the bit the hub cap would fit over .3mm .. so 'for sure' it would pass the software check. This is basically the globes I had printed other then a small starter hole to guide the drill. Remember .. this was 'just guessing'.

Version Four: Now .. Greg drilled the globe out with a 1/16 in. drill bit. Taking that I modified the design so it has a 1/16in. (1.63mm) hole in the print. Note that the wall thickness at the bottom of the globe is 0.3mm .. this being the minimum wall thickness that the glove can be printed in FUD.

Version Five: Finally .. this version has the 1/16in./1.63mm hole in the top .. but is hollowed out so the walls are all 0.3mm thick. The one thing that I don't show here would be something across the center as an attachment to the sprue. This is necessary since the minimum size of an object is .2 x .2 x.2 mm .. remember that humans have to handle, clean, sort etc. A 'throw away' bit spanning across the throat would connect to the sprue .. remember that would also have to meet the 0.3mm minimum wall .. but that is beside the point .. just pointing out some of the design stuff.

Does it make a difference .. as small as these are to worry about solid, drilled, hollow? Yep it does.

here is the solid globe except for a small starter hole. This is what Greg played with. It would cost about 11 cents each

and here is the same globe hollowed out. The cost would be around 5 cents each.

be aware that this was simply based on a quick and dirty upload of the two meshes to Shapeways. There is about $10 for handling and shipping .. then FUD costs $3.49 cm3. So .. the more there in the mesh the more that $10 is spread across the happy group and the less they cost each. That cost per would be less I think if 100 ea say were printed .. but basically .. price per is 1/2 for the hollowed vers the solid version.

Lastly .. if you look at that last pic .. that wall thickness of the neck is the minimum that will print .. meaning using Greg's Hub Cap sounds like a winner to me.

For other scales .. figure O scale for example you can visually halve that wall thickness as the globe would be about twice the size .. but keeping the same 0.3mm minimum.

That all being said .. there you go .. as long as any modifications are kept within those minimums .. these are simple to do. It takes longer to run through the software that fixes the mesh for printing then it does to design the darn things. Even with that .. with a burger and a coke it would take no more then 1/2 hour to create a mesh ready to print from scratch.

time2play
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Fabulous Greg...

Bob

k9wrangler
Engineer

Posted - 11/29/2014 :  10:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sure looks like a method that could also be used for making gas pump globes. hint hint....

Karl Scribner
Sunfield Twp. Michigan
H.M.F.I.C
Kentucky Southern Railway
The Spartan Line

eTraxx
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2014 :  06:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit eTraxx's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Printing the globes would be easy enough .. the hardest part I think would be the designs .. I assume decals. Colorful ..

http://www.pinterest.com/petebriguglio/cool-globes/

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Nice weathering on a boxcar Topic Next Topic: SIerrwest Repair Shed - Relaunch  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000