Railroad Line Forums - Tidewater Wharf & The Waterfront together?
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tidewater Wharf & The Waterfront together?
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Master Creations Coon Gap Sawmill Topic Next Topic: Advice sought. Best way to glaze these?
Page: of 2

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had the Waterfront from BIS for a long time and I just bought the Tidewater Wharf. I like both of these kits and I was wondering if anyone has built these kits together? Upon entering my layout, I was thinking about placing Tidewater as the first kit you will see, I was thinking of building The Waterfront directly behind it and still part of the scene. I haven't got Tidewater yet; but I think that it should work. Anyone ever placed these two kits together
John

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  11:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

These are two great kits and beg to be arranged together. Here's what I did with mine several years ago. The boat house was opened up and fully detailed inside.

John Elwood

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  12:36:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Here's a closeup of the boat house. I never did like the plaster casting that held back the water, didn't seem prototypical.

John Elwood

joakleaf
Engine Wiper

Supporting Member

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  12:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

Very nice scene, good job.

Liked your tide water line.

What's the boat in dry dock, kit or
scratch build?

Jim

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  1:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim,

The boat is scratch built on a Sierra West hull. She is copied from the dragger Florence afloat at the Mystic Seaport Museum, not too far from here.

John

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  1:53:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great job. Plenty of ideas to ponder. I like the boat house idea. Looks like you didn't use the Lighthouse that comes with Tidewater. I bought the BEST Thomas Point Lighthouse to replace it.

John

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  2:24:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here'
s the scene to the right of the boat house. Fuel dock is scratch built from my own design. Light house is Colchester Reef placed to mimic Bass Harbour light in Maine.

John

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  2:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great photos. I just noticed that you put an interior into the boathouse...I assume that it doesn't come with an interior?

John

ELK RIVER RR
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  3:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's what I'm talking about great modeling tom.

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  3:29:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Now THAT is perfect photography and crisp and rich modeling!

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  9:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After all these years, I've never taken a photo inside the boat house. So I just popped off a few for your reference. John, the kit does not come with interior details. I was encouraged to open it up and detail the inside with whatever castings I could find. Also, the interior walls were first sheathed with scale 1x6 strip wood and then framed with 2x4's on 2' centers. The rear roof is removeable to access the 12V lamps and the entire structure lifts off the grade level base. I did not overdo the interior with "stuff", just made it interesting enough.

John Elwood

Edited by - jbelwood on 11/23/2014 9:14:41 PM

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  9:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the peek inside John, well done!

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  09:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
John , a few questions for your attached photos. Are you in O or HO scale? What is the source for the "Sabino" look alike model? Nice depth of field on the photos. What was your camera, lighting set up?

Dave.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  10:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, your Tidewater is the first Iíve seen without the bulkhead. That makes so much more sense to me. I never understood the idea behind it. Nice job on the interior.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  11:47:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John,
Great inspiration. I will have to plan this idea into my build. One thing though, did you build the interior first with the wall sections, or build the interior after the structure was built?

John

jbelwood
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  12:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dave...This is from the HO scale kit that BIS released many years ago. The Sabino look alike is scratch build out of styrene
on an old Crow River plaster hull. Sabino resides just 75 miles from here at Mystic Seaport. I have numerous photos and
measurements taken over several visits. Camera used is a Canon SX170IS on automatic setting. Interior lighting from four
12v bulbs set at half voltage. They are attached to beams across the rear side walls.

Frank..Thanks for the gracious comment. I have photos of the real American Boathouse in Camden, ME. Made a simplistic copy of her marine railway.

John...I framed out the walls as they lay flat on the bench. Quite frankly, I don't recall much of how I did the interior assembly.
It was many years ago and this senior memory thingy doesn't help. Laying out the stone wall castings inside along with the
wooden floor was an interesting challenge.

John

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Master Creations Coon Gap Sawmill Topic Next Topic: Advice sought. Best way to glaze these?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000