Railroad Line Forums - Dewey Bros. oscillating cylinders steam loco
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 104 ]  [ Total: 107 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Startin' from Scratch
 Dewey Bros. oscillating cylinders steam loco
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Micro Adjuster for Mini Table Saw Topic Next Topic: 1/8 scale ruler
Page: of 6

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  3:24:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's get started, shall we?

In this thread I'd like to document my very first attempt to scratch-build a steam locomotive in Fn3 (1/20.32, 3-ft-narrow gauge).
My model of choice is an industrial loco of the late 19th century:

(Source: Sinclair, Angus: Development of the locomotive engine, New York 1907, p.511)
As you can see, a small 0-4-2t with some very interesting features. The cylinders are oscillating, something that is more common with steam boats and stationary engines. I chose this model because
a) it has a very simple running gear, no valve gear
b) the chassis is quite simplistic
c) I adore the overall cute look!
All in all I think that this model gives me both an technically interesting and at the same time hopefully simple-to-create goal to achieve.

(Side-note: I'm pretty certain that the pictured loco is standard gauge, but Dewey Bros. built 3ft. narrow gauge as well. So I believe I'm justified in using this specific prototype for my model. I've already done some research on the loco and the company which built it, however information is scarce on both of them. I'll soon post what I've got.)

Right now, I'm asking for your opinion on the dimensions I added to the photo, especially the wheels. Do you think they are plausible? Time is a bit of the essence because this weekend I want to go to "Modellbahn Köln" (International Model Railway Fair at Cologne) and purchase the wheel sets. So if you could please give me some feedback until Saturday I'd be most thankfull!

Regards,

Frédéric

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  4:34:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frédéric, I am certainly not a locomotive expert, but I measured the drivers on my HOn3 Forney and they are about 3.25 feet, so I think that you are in the right ballpark.

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the data on your model, Bruce!

So if I'm not mistaken, my model's drivers should be dimensioned around 47 mm or 1.92 inch. What do you think of the overall length of the engine? Does 23 ft. sound about right?

Regards,

Frédéric

Edited by - BreizhSteamer on 11/20/2014 5:02:11 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  5:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Forney is 26' from the front of the boiler to the end of the wood/coal box - plus the cow catcher. If that helps. I think that your loco is a bit smaller, so again you are in the ball park - give or take a foot or two.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  6:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awesome project, I'm looking forward to watching this! Scratch-building ( or extensively kit bashing) a steam loco is something I'd like to try myself one of these days.

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  7:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
This is a cool project, I certainly will be watching, are talking about scratch building it all or modifying and existing close enough loco.

Also I guess I don't know what "cylinders are oscillating" are.

Les

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  9:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Les, I didn't know what an oscillating steam engine is either so I looked it up. It's a pretty crude, but interesting, system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscillating_cylinder_steam_engine

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/20/2014 :  9:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by visman48

Frederic,
This is a cool project, I certainly will be watching, are talking about scratch building it all or modifying and existing close enough loco.

Also I guess I don't know what "cylinders are oscillating" are.

Les

Also being interested in live steam, let me help you out here Les. A link to many pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=steam+oscillator+engines&biw=1536&bih=770&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gp1uVOT1FISzyASsl4LIBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

Here's an oscillator running slow enough to see how they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CwJAahe5fw

Hope this helped.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 11/20/2014 9:20:21 PM

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  08:19:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the support. Ray and Bernd have already explained about the oscillating cylinders.
As to the model, my goal is to use as little pre-fabricated parts as possible. I will buy wheel sets because I don't have the space and/or the money to get a lathe or a milling machine. I'm sure some other parts will be necesarry as well.
The model itself is not going to be a live-steam model, mind. I'd be well out of my depth with that. Instead I'm aiming for a R/C electrical model with some nice gizmos. I'm thinking about a pulsed smoke generator and similar things.

Anyway, I will post a proper road map as soon as possible and try to document every step on the way, hopefully to a finished model.

Frédéric

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  09:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
A good project.
Your wheel dimensions look to be correct, or even up to 49mm, which ever ones you can find at the show.
Will follow along as you build it.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  10:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frédéric

Would love to see you post as you progress. By the way I wasn't trying to say you were building a live steam model. They are the best examples of an oscillating piston engine.

Bernd

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 11/21/2014 :  10:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, I thought so, I just wanted to clarify my goals in order to avoid any disappointments.

Dave & Bernd: Thanks for the encouragement! I will do my best to keep you guys up to date.

BreizhSteamer
Section Hand

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  11:07:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello folks, got some news!

First, at the fair I met some nice people from Regner Company (www.regner-dampftechnik.de). They build a fine live-steam model of the "Rocket", which has a very nice set of driver wheels:

As you can see they perfectly fit between the 47 up to 49 mm that were proposed earlier. Regner is able to deliver these wheels in black as well. What I like about these wheels is their delicate design, their reasonable price (60 USD per wheel set) and that they are 100% made from steel.
However, they are NOT exact matches of the Dewey Bros.' drivers. If you compare the two photos, you'll find
- an enhanced spoke to accomodate the crank pin
- 12 spokes instead of 11
- mockup screw heads
So I'd like your opinion: Will these wheels do for a not-quite-scale model? I'd like to build as close to the prototype as possible, but I don't want to kill my motivation and the end result with an obsession on an unachievable goal. Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Second, I've found a source to order a wheel set for the trailing wheel. Dewey Bros. seem to have used a disk wheel instead of a spoke wheel, if I'm not mistaken, so the trailing spoked wheel from the rocket won't do. The wheels I have in mind come in diameters of 29mm or 31.2mm. I think I will go for the 29mm, since it's closer to my desired 30mm.

Last but not least, I took a train-ride to the fair, which left me with several hours of free time. So I took my first shot at a sketch. I made this sketch in order to get a feeling for the proportions and to identify possible construction steps. I will do several more sketches like this and I will try to improve them and bring them as close to the prototype as I can. After I have accomplished that, I will begin to draw plans based on these sketches. So this is my first sketch:

One thing that I already realized while I was drawing: I need to move forward the boiler, cylinders and drivers so that the second driver's axle lines up with the front of the cabin.
What I'd like you all to do is hammer away at this sketch. What's wrong? What's missing? What could be done better? I'll try and take it all into account when I find time to draw the next sketch.

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

Frédéric

Edited by - BreizhSteamer on 11/25/2014 11:15:48 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  11:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Frédéric

Comparing the picture with your sketch I'd say the cylinders need to be shortened, but not by much. The part the dome sits on would need to be lengthened between the dome and cab area. Another thing that might help with a new sketch is to start with the rear drive wheel drawn first and then the rest of the engine to see how the proportions look.

All this from a guy who can't draw a straight line.

Bernd

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/25/2014 :  12:24:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frederic,
No one will notice the 12 spokes (instead of 11) or the mock-up screws.
The only issue is the enhanced spoke for the crank. It might be possible to machine this down to make it less obvious but again, I do not think it will be very noticeable or an issue if you leave it as is.

Ray Dunakin
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  01:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Dunakin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it was me, I'd go with the available wheels, since making good, spoked wheels is a pain and requires specialized equipment and skills; and having someone custom make wheels for me would be really expensive.

Page: of 6 Previous Topic: Micro Adjuster for Mini Table Saw Topic Next Topic: 1/8 scale ruler  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000