Railroad Line Forums - GHQ HO scale Hay Wagon
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 90 ]  [ Total: 98 ]  [ Newest Member: jmart4173 ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 GHQ HO scale Hay Wagon
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 1/87th scale1929 Packard from National Motor Co. Topic Next Topic: CR Lamb  finished photos  

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  12:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GHQ's 60-012 is a simple soft-metal kit, but there are a few easy changes that improve its realism a good deal. I used ACC to build it, though epoxy would also work. It might also be possible to use low-temerature solder, but I haven't tested the melting point or solder wetting characteristics of the castings.

Continued where I can edit it.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  12:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After cleaning up the small amount of flash, I used Blacken-It on all the parts. I've done my share of loading and unloading hay wagons, so I automatically started assembling the sides with the longitudinal boards inwards. But they didn't fit. The picture GHQ provides as 'instructions' show them outside, leaving the stakes to be a real pain, breaking bale strings if a kicker is in use and preventing you from sliding hay across the floor.

Here I've used nippers to trim one end down so it fits between the sides, boards in. The loose end isn't trimmed yet.

The wheels and tires aren't wonderful, but I decided to use them on this one. This wagon is only 16 feet long by 8 wide with 5 foot sides. It won't even hold 50 bales, so there's no call for flotation tires or rear dualies. I'm going for the homebrew look, using old car tires.

GHQ made the axle castings with plenty of gluing surface for the wheels. Sturdiness is good, but it would be more realistic if they stood clear of the spindles. Maybe I'll try that on the next one (the farm I'm equipping can't get by with just one wagon). I won't glue the tongue in place till I've fixed it up a bit and the wagon is on its wheels.

I also wound up with two extra wheels, plus axles & tongue. Perhaps I'll scratchbuild a more modern wagon after I finish the kits.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  1:02:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James, nothing like first hand knowledge to help get a more realistic model.

How did you color the wagon?

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  1:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bruce. So far, the only coloring is what the Blacken-It did to the pot metal (mostly zinc) castings. There was more yellow/rusty color before I washed the spent Blacken-It off the castings.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  2:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James,

I like where this is going. Do you hire out?

Since I'm allergic to hay, my experience with this sort of thing comes from looking at it as I drive by, or looking at photos. Getting the "straight scoop" is wonderful.

Thanks!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2014 :  5:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I cut off the pin on the loose end of the tongue. Then I filed the tongue a little thinner and added two straps, drilled so it could be attached to a tractor drawbar with a hitch pin.

I brush-painted the body with a thin wash of ancient Floquil Caboose Red (the can it's in is probably older than my ex). The tires got a thinned application of Engine Black, but it doesn't really stand up to this close-up. I'd need magnification to do a job which left the edge of the rim consistently red but the edge of the tire black.

This is a test shot to see how badly I need to fix the kit's structural deficiency: there is nothing bracing the axles against fore-and-aft force. For use in the foreground, I'd need three pieces of .060 (scale 5") channel running from the center crossbeam to the bottom of the front bolster and the two rear columns.

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  11:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice.

I'm sore just thinking about the amount of bending, lifting, twisting and so on that will be necessary to load that wagon. Ahhhhh, youth!

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  08:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm trying a few more improvements on a second kit:

As purchased, the vertical posts are about 4.5" x 5.5". This is OK for a wood-sided wagon, but the horizontal boards being the same dimensions isn't. I rubbed these across a big flat file till the slats were down to about 3" thick.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  08:44:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work James. And I like the fact that you fixed the design error on the sides.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  09:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinner certainly looks better on the horizontal slats, James. Nice work.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/11/2014 :  3:09:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

Nice work James. And I like the fact that you fixed the design error on the sides.

Agreed. But let's make that "errors," plural. Thinner is indeed better.

Pete
in Michigan

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/12/2014 :  11:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote

As most of the rest of the 'running gear' is wood, I cut pieces of .040 square basswood to brace the front bolster and the rear axle posts. Ideally, the rear braces would end on the same crossbeam as the front, but this model isn't going to be picked up & turned over very often.

I decided to go a little farther with the tongue: if glued to the front axle assembly, it makes a 5th point of support, which makes it even harder to find a spot where everything that should be touching the 'soil' actually is. I was thinking about what I should use to make the retaining strap and how I'd glue it when I noticed a roll of electrical tape in my toolbox: problem solved. If it ever falls off, I'll look around for a more aggressive tape.

If you look closely, the first (rear) wagon is levitating at least one front tire.

This concludes my upgrades to the GHQ cast metal hay wagon. Thanks for following along.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  09:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice upgrades, James. They made up into some neat looking models.

Bruce

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  09:20:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done, James. Cool little models.

Pete
in Michigan

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 11/13/2014 :  10:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outstanding looking wagons, and nice bracing idea James. And from being raised on a dairy farm, I know that the stakes would of been a real problem if left inward. Great thinking on your part there. I would think the manufacture of the kit never released their mistake.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Previous Topic: 1/87th scale1929 Packard from National Motor Co. Topic Next Topic: CR Lamb  finished photos  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000