Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 188 ]  [ Total: 194 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A video tour of the S&C Topic Next Topic: Colorized Civil War composite portrait
Page: of 100

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  8:18:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a long day of making firewood, so no puns from me. But I like the model too.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/25/2019 :  11:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

It's been a long day of making firewood, so no puns from me. But I like the model too.

Thank you!

Maybe we should check our puns at the door.

Mike

hon3_rr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  02:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I submit that your model scale conveys the correct impression for the scene you are creating. A very nicely conceived detail with great color/weathering rendering the detail as an important, but not overly overt, component of the setting.

-- KP --
Life is to short to build all of the models I want to.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2019 :  08:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Kris.

There was a lot of guesswork, of course, but I was aiming for general impression. Sounds like I may have succeeded. I appreciate your comment.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  5:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Going in Many Directions for a Couple of Weeks

I gave this update a title because it sums up my model railroading activities recently.

To provide a setting for my structures and trains I've been ballasting track and spreading dirt, grass and trees. I decided I needed to be able to turn my locomotives in Auburn, and so I installed an Atlas turntable temporarily:

I couldn't see building one right away.

I'm rethinking the other end of my layout, which was once Auburn, but will now represent a small town in the lumbering region of Pennsylvania . . . probably. Here's the current track configuration:

You can see I removed a turnout that I needed elsewhere.

I'm considering a wye for turning locomotives, similar to a couple of small towns on a Lehigh Valley branchline.

The paper track template shows one leg of the wye. Existing track would form another leg. Much of the current track would be retained.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/05/2019 5:49:51 PM

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  7:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting plans Mike. Wyes are certainly easier to build than turntables. IMHO wyes looks better with structures in the center.
I look forward to seeing how you develop this.

Bob

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/05/2019 :  11:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Another fun thing to watch in Mike's thread!

I can visualize a wye there, too! It would not only add to the visual interest, but it would be fun to use during operations.

Andre

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  09:23:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Track planning and re-planning, the fun of it all.

Frank

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  10:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good to me Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  10:09:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is fascinating, Mike, but you need to crank it up a notch before that new-fangled Interstate Commerce Commission that President Cleveland started up awhile back gets wind of this and the lawyers start asking why all those cars are suddenly isolated and therefore not available.

Very nice work, good ideas here, and eye candy to boot!

Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  10:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a good plan, Mike. It will be a bit of interesting trackwork if the new leg of the wye crosses that long straight track.
Or will that other track be moved?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  11:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, everybody.

Bob, planning the what and where of structures is in preliminary stages right now and Iíll keep what you say in mind.

Andre, youíre right that the wye will be good for operating my layout. In fact it will become essential to operations and essential that it operates well. By the way, we met a young fellow from Arkansas at a cocktail party last night and we discussed the beauty and geology of the Ozarks.

Frank, I like the theory of track planning. You can do a lot of moving turnouts and bits of track around without actually committing to one plan. It becomes reality when the Dremel comes out.

Carl, thank you.

Pete, yes I do have a bunch of stranded rolling stock, donít I? I havenít quite decided if that turnout will be replaced. In any case, once Iíve ballasted track and scenicked the other end of my layout (Auburn) Iíll move all those cars out. The big hook will be needed for stranded rolling stock.

Bill, I guess the first thing Iíll have to do is truncate or remove that track. . . . Once Iíve finished my theoretical model railroading.

Mike

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  2:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike that is some fine modeling. Love the scale scene!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  6:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TRAINS1941

Mike that is some fine modeling. Love the scale scene!

Thank you, Jerry. Iím pleased you like it. I know I am biased but the more I worked on the gate, office and scale the happier I was with the whole coal shed. Sometimes itís the small things.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  6:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Guff an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mike,
It's fun to see your layout grow and develop. You're creating a fine time period replica!

David Guffey

Page: of 100 Previous Topic: A video tour of the S&C Topic Next Topic: Colorized Civil War composite portrait  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000