Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 69 ]  [ Total: 72 ]  [ Newest Member: tx28 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Max Engine Miles per Hour
Page: of 89

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  10:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nicely done, Mike!

Pete
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  11:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Pete!

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  11:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, your coal shed scene just keeps getting better with each piece that you add.
Will you add a scale platform at the entrance?

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  2:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Greg!

Yes, Iíd like to do a scale platform. Iím not sure exactly what they look like and I donít have any photos. For my period I could make a good guess: a platform of timbers framed by timbers. Iíd be happy for any suggestions.

Mike

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  3:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I was gonna suggest timber framing around a timber platform, but somebody beat me to it....

Pete
in Michigan

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  3:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would work well as a scale house: http://besttrains.com/products_1047.html (I found one while cleaning up/organizing in the unfinished part of the basement. I had 2 of these kits, I used the other one as the gate house in my previous layout's mill canal scene.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  3:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Fall tree..... In truth, I like it all. It's a great looking scene. A fabulous looking model. Too bad it's destined to serve as a backdrop to some fabulous wagons. Bu, at least it has a few moments as the Star.

It's only make-believe

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks really good, Mike, and having the office door inside the yard makes sense.

bandman
New Hire

Posted - 09/15/2019 :  5:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another kit that might work: http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/kit/610.html

Horton Monroe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Mike,

I was gonna suggest timber framing around a timber platform, but somebody beat me to it....

Pete
in Michigan

Great minds and all that, I guess. . .

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

I like the Fall tree..... In truth, I like it all. It's a great looking scene. A fabulous looking model. Too bad it's destined to serve as a backdrop to some fabulous wagons. Bu, at least it has a few moments as the Star.

Thank you, Bob. The trees are a little sparse of branches individually but itís the overall effect I am after.

The model might be the star for a while; I feel a pull from other projects.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:49:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Looks really good, Mike, and having the office door inside the yard makes sense.

Thanks Bill. Your comments and observations are helpful.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  09:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave and Horton, thank you for the suggestions. Actually, the office will function as the scale house. Thatís why I have the set of windows that face the wagon passageway.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

I really like that gate. Nice job.

I posted some pictures of the Bergen coal dealer here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52072 There are a couple of pictures of their scale. May not be what you're looking for though.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/16/2019 :  5:38:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Thank you very much! Youíre right that a lot is obscured. Correct me where you think Iím wrong, but I interpret what I see as
1. A metal frame, probably small beams of some sort, standing a little proud of surrounding dirt etc
2. A rim of concrete beveled slightly down to the ground
3. Iím guessing inside the framework is a thick plate as the platform for the scale, now much obscured by dirt etc
4. Between the scale and building, several loose planks covering and providing access to a pit holding the scale.

I drove through Bergen in early July visiting my parentsí grave in Byron; my dad grew up in that area.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Page: of 89 Previous Topic: Promised Update... Topic Next Topic: Max Engine Miles per Hour  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000