Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 105 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: New W&N
Page: of 83

ocalicreek
Crew Chief

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  4:17:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit ocalicreek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like sipping coffee and looking at the workbench, or the railroad, whether or not a train is running. But that's one reason I built the current railroad with a continuous running option, so that I could just sit and sip and think. I like the view you shared - quite a collection of early rail rolling stock.

As for ground throws, I currently don't have any machines on the switches and have been operating just fine with only one turnout needing to be held in place. I use a stick pin for that one, and even that will go away once I add some shims to increase the friction beneath the throw bars. I throw them with the same bamboo skewer I use to uncouple the cars.

I'm considering modifying the switch targets to move like Wolfgang Dudler showed in MRH and on his website, but that may be too much effort for such a small thing. I haven't decided if that's important enough to pursue. I have Details West switch stands and targets but they aren't yet installed.

I used Caboose ground throws on my timesaver along with slide switches embedded beneath the throw bar to power the frog. Had one slide switch fail and digging it out was a pain. I replaced it with a micro lever switch and that has worked fine, but I decided then I wouldn't use that arrangement again. Right now I don't have to power frogs. If I do I may go with a Frog Juicer.

Have you seen the caboose ground throws mounted beneath the head ties?

Galen

My Train Blog: http://ocalicreek.blogspot.com/

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/01/2019 :  5:06:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Galen,

Many of my old-style turnouts, where power is routed through the points, work without ground throws until I ballast the track, which means its time to install power-routing ground throws. My newer DCC friendly turnouts have unpowered frogs. My little 4-4-0 stalls every time. Therefore I need power-routing ground throws of some sort.

Im not familiar with that particular type of Caboose Hobbies ground throw. Maybe Im misunderstanding what you are asking.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 02/01/2019 5:09:11 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  1:33:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

I don't want to sound "negative", but I've read the Caboose Hobbies power routing switch throws are not very durable or reliable. Perhaps some research concerning before commiting?

Andre

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  2:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Andre,

Caboose Hobbies have made two versions, the original was difficult to assemble and was delicate. The newer version is much easier to construct and much more robust.

Mike

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  3:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My layout was open for the monthly NMRA division meet, and to get ready I did a little scenery and building arrangement for my lumberyard.

Needs more details such as wagons,lumber scraps etc. and I really need to replace that missing board in the fence.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  1:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, with a nice new board. And get a few customers. But it looks good. I like the layout

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  2:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob. A new board. Good idea.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  4:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Owl Mtn lumber stacks look pretty good, if you sand them a bit (to add wood grain), spray with some sort of matte fixative, and then apply HunterLine driftwood stain. (The fixative gives the stain something to stick to.)

Someone also does laser cut wood stacks, but I can't remember who, right off the top of my head.

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 03/18/2019 4:05:47 PM

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  5:35:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That looks good, Mike!

Dave: Owl Mtn lumber stacks, eh? I'll need to check that out. Amazing the little tips one picks up in these threads.

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  8:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Narrow Owl Mtn lumber stacks fit quite nicely on my old-timer flats:

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  9:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave and Andre, thank you.

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/18/2019 :  10:29:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pic, Dave. Also, are you handlaying those switches, or are they prefab?

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/19/2019 :  08:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of each on my layout. The curved turnouts you see are handlaid (FastTracks). Other places I'm using ME #6. All code 70.

dave

OK Hogger
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/20/2019 :  10:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thank you for your reply, Dave.

I shall now try to keep quiet and be a good boy and avoid drifting Mike's thread.

Andre

Page: of 83 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette  Valley Part two Topic Next Topic: New W&N  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000