Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike,

I like your car shop. You may have already stated in this thread, but what did you use for construction material?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  2:08:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, Carl, Dave and Tim, thank you for your kind words and questions.

Bob, the shops are indeed near the front although the machine shop with detailed interior is farthest from the aisle. No avoiding it.

Carl, I often get impatient and try to avoid the time required to build jigs but itís usually worth the effort.

Dave, Iím starting to get anxious to wrap things up on this caboose project. They are just unusual enough with the small cupolas to keep my interest up.

Tim, I used board on board construction for the two-stall enginehouse. I then used board and batten milled sheetwood for the narrow car shop but experienced some problems with warping; for the machine shop at the far end I went back to board on board.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  1:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of the bobbers with all four sets of steps:

Responding to a question how far the shop facilities are from the aisle, I took a couple pictures from different angles:

Time now for a walk with the family.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  1:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

You have a really good start going on all sorts of interesting stuff! Keep at it and please keep us posted!

Pete
in Michigan

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  2:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOVE your cabeese you're building! Doing a superb job on 'em too. (I'm lovin' me that rolling stock fleet in the background, too!)

The shops look great. I can see what you mean about its configuration pretty much dictating its orientation. Betcha wish you could hopscotch the scene and get that two stall in foreground, eh?

Can't wait until I'm seeing some of my envisioned elements coming together is such a way as you're seeing. Fun, ain't it?

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  4:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Caboose is looking Sharp Mike. It looks like the machine shop is about 18" from the edge. That should work. How high is your bench work? If you can lean over it to view the shop it will be fine.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2017 :  6:19:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys!

Pete, I try to be regular in posting. It does require getting modeling done which is sometimes a challenge. As you can see I tend to go in several directions at one time.

Andre, I appreciate your enthusiasm. I could rearrange things but then the most detailed building, the machine shop, would be farther from the aisle. Best wishes on your layout; sounds like you are making big progress. The main thing is having a vision of what you want to accomplish.

Bob, my benchwork is about 3í from the floor. Thatís lower than usual but the ceiling is low. My layout is above our garage with the inevitable ceiling-under-the-eaves configuration. I donít have any problem reaching quite a distance, especially since Iím about 6í tall.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/26/2017 :  7:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've started the rather tedious job of ballasting track in the interchange area of my layout.

I also started final laying of track on the left that represents Southern Central RR(eventually the Auburn Division of the Lehigh Valley RR) mainline heading north towards Lake Ontario.

Mike

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  01:01:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

What product are you using for ballasting purposes? The scene appears to be coming along nicely.

Tim

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2017 :  08:05:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim,

Thank you.

My ballast is from Smith and Son.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  8:43:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Caboose steps are done. Not perfect, but acceptable. The vertical rods (look closely) were sort of fun and went better than I expected. They really firmed everything up, if that makes sense.

I've also been working on the track in this part of the layout, painting the ties etc. Not much to show at this point.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/29/2017 :  10:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They look good, Mike!!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  10:38:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Thank you!

It might look like I know what Iím doing but there have been many steps where I have to figure out how to proceed. More than once Iíve found myself thinking ďthat turned out ok after all.Ē

Iíve never built a caboose before except a Central Valley kit about fifty years ago. I still have a nearly-full bottle of Floquil Caboose Red paint, unopened for 49 years. It predates Sgt. Pepper.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they do look good indeed. The steps are fine too. They're ready to have crews scrambling over them. I like the boot guard detail too.

It's only make-believe

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/30/2017 :  11:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turning out GREAT. Looking forward to the two you said you'd build for me.

What? You didn't say that? Wait... surely I've got that email somewhere...

Andre

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000