Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 84 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: 3D printing for everyone Topic Next Topic: Little Engines and Big Men
Page: of 51

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  7:28:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

The LV used a fairly bright red caboose color. Interesting that different reds were used as base and final coats.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Orionvp17
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  7:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Blair,

The LV used a fairly bright red caboose color. Interesting that different reds were used as base and final coats.

Mike

Might be interesting to try the technique and see what results!

Pete
who has enough of his own paint issues
in Michigan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  8:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pete,

I'm considering it.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  11:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting build thread Mike, and historic. 1885, the year my Grand father was born'.. I like the looks of your cabooses'...

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  07:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Very interesting build thread Mike, and historic. 1885, the year my Grand father was born'.. I like the looks of your cabooses'...

Ted,

The 1880's are a scratchbuilders paradise. And I keep stumbling over new information on my chosen prototype. So, although progress is slow I stick with it.

Thank you for your interest and kind words.

Mike

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  6:54:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, you are very welcome'. I enjoy your work quite a bit, and have been a fan since I joined the forum'..So thank you, for some very factual and interesting threads'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  9:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've experienced a serious slow-down working on the caboose steps. First, the jig I used for bending the metal parts and for assembly:

Steps in various stages of construction:

And a couple sets glued in place:

It's also about time to complete the Southern Central car shop. The slate roofs are almost complete and doors are ready to be added:

I am figuring out where the car shops and engine house will set and have started putting down some track. Wiring next, then ballast and scenery. It would be nice to have one scene complete.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  9:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Good to see progress on the caboose steps even i slow. And the engine house and car shops look really good.
They'll make an interesting scene when the area is completed.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  10:23:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Bill!

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/21/2017 10:24:30 PM

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  11:07:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, your little step jig worked out very well.
I'm certain that your engine house & car shop area will be a really fantastic when completed.
Stop reading this, and get back to work on it!

Greg Shinnie

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/21/2017 :  11:12:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea on the jig!

Liking the look of your car shops. Looking forward to seeing them in a scenic setting!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  12:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg and Andre,

Thank you for your comments.

Iíll get back to work, tomorrow.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  12:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice jigs, shop layout is working looks like you didn't put them too far back from the viewer.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  06:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great jig idea!

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/22/2017 :  08:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Your shop buildings will be a showpiece on the layout! I'm anxious to see a finished caboose...they are a neat design!
Wonderful work!!
Dave

Page: of 51 Previous Topic: 3D printing for everyone Topic Next Topic: Little Engines and Big Men  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000