Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 96 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Little Engines and Big Men Topic Next Topic: Early railroad books and biogrpahies
Page: of 51

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  08:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicely done indeed!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  10:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

Add in the Hacks, Crummies and several other interesting descriptions, and things get complicated quickly!

But whatever you call them, your little cabeese are works of art. Very nice!

Pete,

In the random, disorganized way I have picked up information, it's no surprise that I can't recall reading that a caboose can be called a buggy, even with my interest in NE railroads.

And thank you for the compliment.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  10:20:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg and Bob,

Thank you very much.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  11:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I'm impressed with your work! Making buildings or rolling stock, you make everything you do look easy...the sign of a master craftsman.
Best regards,
Dave

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  12:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike:

Meant to ask: What RR/locale is depicted in that prototype picture in your caboose topic? Really like the small cupolas on them!

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  12:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

They are just sitting on the roof for now, and will actually be attached once everything is painted and windows installed.

They look sharp. You are going to set them down into the roof a little bit right? Sitting on top they look slightly too high right now, but setting them down in will correct that by the right amount. Here is another useful view - 3/4 view from above showing the the top of the roofs.

Blair

Edited by - BlairM on 11/04/2017 12:09:34 PM

Tim Hebert
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Very well done! Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  6:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Mike:

Meant to ask: What RR/locale is depicted in that prototype picture in your caboose topic? Really like the small cupolas on them!

The photo was taken somewhere on the Lehigh Valley, but I don't know where. It was posted by Blair on an earlier page of this thread. My guess is somewhere in PA. It looks early from the appearance of buildings etc.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  6:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Mike,
I'm impressed with your work! Making buildings or rolling stock, you make everything you do look easy...the sign of a master craftsman.
Best regards,
Dave

Dave, Thank you. It might look easy because nobody sees the mistakes that go in the trash.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  6:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Thank you for the suggestion. I think it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. I measured from a drawing but did not want to skimp so the result was a little large. I've shaved some off of the bottom of each cupola and they look better and set down on the roof with fewer gaps. I'm trying to be careful to not go too far because the cupolas in photos of these cars really do seem to stick up higher than expected for their width.

Great photos you're providing; they've been a help already. Do you know dates and locations?

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2017 :  6:20:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Hebert

Mike,

Very well done! Looking forward to seeing the finished products.

Tim,

Thank you!

I'm trying not to get impatient. I feel an urge to rush to a conclusion.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/04/2017 6:35:58 PM

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Great photos you're providing; they've been a help already. Do you know dates and locations?

Mike

The photo of the LVRR train is at Penn Haven on the Lehigh River, the cars are turning onto the branch to head up along Quakake creek towards Weatherly. The year is 1895, the caboose is still fitted with link and pin couplers despite the rest of the equipment having been upgraded.
This is the from the book "The Handsomest Trains in the World". I recommend you order a copy for yourself Mike; lots of good early references. Actually probably just about 20 1800s references, but those early photos are scarce.

The 2nd photo is of the Lehigh Valley at Glendon PA near Easton circa 1885.

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  7:16:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pic info Blair!

Really like those little cabeese, and Mike is doing a super job on them. Being much more impatient and lazy than Mike ever thought about being, I will settle for little repainted/relettered AHM bobbers with a few niceties added.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  11:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BlairM

The photo of the LVRR train is at Penn Haven on the Lehigh River, the cars are turning onto the branch to head up along Quakake creek towards Weatherly. The year is 1895, the caboose is still fitted with link and pin couplers despite the rest of the equipment having been upgraded.
This is the from the book "The Handsomest Trains in the World". I recommend you order a copy for yourself Mike; lots of good early references. Actually probably just about 20 1800s references, but those early photos are scarce.

The 2nd photo is of the Lehigh Valley at Glendon PA near Easton circa 1885.

Blair, thank you. I was thinking that the second photo with the lineup of bobbers is the earlier one. Looks to me that they are lettered "Lehigh Valley R.R. Co." Does that look right to you?

Mike

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  6:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I would agree with Mike, "Lehigh Valley Railroad Co."

Caboose brown too.

Page: of 51 Previous Topic: Little Engines and Big Men Topic Next Topic: Early railroad books and biogrpahies  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000