Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 123 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2015 :  10:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice job Mike.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/28/2015 :  11:28:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul, I responded to your PM; I need to be more alert. Thank you for your favorable comments.

Bob, thank you for your kind words.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  08:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice looking set of boxcars, Mike.

George

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  10:38:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  10:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, a very nice set of boxcars.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  4:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Yes indeed, a very nice set of boxcars.

Bernd

Bernd,

Thank you for your kind words.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  8:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made progress on the roof, mainly. The first two pictures show the final 1 by 12 sheathing being applied. I spent a couple of weeks on this on and off, but it seemed to go smoothly without much tedium. At this point the roof assembly really does become quite rigid and fairly strong. That's a good thing because it will need to withstand a fair amount of handling.

Here the sheathing is complete. I then added trim along all roof edges and painted it Pullman Green. I don't have to be inordinately careful not to slop paint on the roof because the "slate tiles" will cover everything. Still, I try to do a neat job out of habit.

Time for another break as I get psyched up to do the roofing.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  8:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to seeing how you'll do slates. Is the roof removable? (What happens if a car derails inside the structure?)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2015 :  9:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,
Yes, the roof is removable for the very reason you cited.
Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  12:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking really good Mike. Shingling will be a job, but at least you won't be on your knees while you do it. I look forward to seeing the complete building.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2015 :  9:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you.

Mike

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  1:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really great looking structure!

Horse

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  3:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great! I'm very impressed that your are doing the roof as it was actually built.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  5:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Horse and Håkan,

Thank you for the kind words. I think I had a good reason for my approach to the roof, but it escapes me now.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/23/2015 :  9:01:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last November I painted three resin models I made using my own masters and molds. This week I lettered one for the Lehigh Valley "Traders Despatch" 28' box car. Scalecoat paint, Clover House dry transfers. I consulted late 19th Century equipment registers for an appropriate car number and dimensions.

I have two more to letter, but they will have to wait for when I get the right lettering.

Mike

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000