Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  08:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, very nice work on those Bobbers!
You just keep bobbing along!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  08:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Greg!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  09:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's great that you are doing these, and they are looking great.

I have one on my build list too, I started with a Bachmann caboose with the intention of doing the Early P&NY Bobber, but once I measured the chassis I realized it was too long of a wheelbase at 10' rather than 9', and the gear would need to be completely rebuilt. I then considered using Grandt line pedestal castings and building the rest of the underframe. In the meantime, I decided to build the Bachmann bobber into an L&NE bobber without the cupola. I cut some material out of the middle and spliced both halves back together and dropped the cupola. The finished wheelbase here is now 9' wide, and somehow that little change seems to make it look much smaller and capture the look better.
The paint job was a left over from and will be re-done for L&NE fried egg along with a new roof.
I'm going to leave the steps as is for this and add the wire railings and hand-grabs along with a #58 coupler.

I also discovered HO scale running gear on Shapeways made by Michael York for a DSP&P waycar, which has the same 9' wheelbase as the PA&NY bobber. When I build my PA&NY I plan to use this as the chassis. It is only 2 side castings, so it will work for HO or HOn3, you might want to check it out, I got a set and detail printed nicely.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q4PDCB44D/dsp-waycar-running-gear-mk1-ho-hon3?li=shop-results&optionId=40635927

All best with your build, looking forward to seeing more. I better go and finish mine and do the paint job too.

Edited by - BlairM on 09/29/2017 09:54:34 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  12:58:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Thank you for your interest. And all the photos. I have been using the first one from Archer's book but I don't recall seeing the second one. I have LV car diagrams of a very similar bobber which I've been using for plans. My cars are a little long because the metals castings from Bitter Creek (I think) are about a foot too long. I split the difference between the underframe and the body.

I appreciate the info on the printed parts. Maybe next time . . .

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 09/29/2017 1:01:44 PM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  6:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've continued working on the roofs, completing one.

The roof comprises two layers of .02" styrene scribed sheet. I decided to do it as two sheets because I was thinking that bending a single layer of 0.04" styrene would be more difficult to get even. I cemented on one layer and added the second. The top car has strips of styrene around the edges to replicate the look of the prototype, seen in Blair's photo above.(Thanks again, Blair.)

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  7:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lovely they are indeed. And Cheaper than 3d printing them would be.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  7:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Lovely they are indeed. And Cheaper than 3d printing them would be.

Bob,

Thank you.

Interesting observation. I have considered 3D printing but working for hours on my computer does not appeal to me. I learned Autocad a couple of decades ago, so I know I am not stuck in the past. I do like the physical process of measuring, cutting, assembling and gluing.

Mike

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  7:36:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I'm just getting caught up on your bobbers build. You're doing some nice work and you're putting out some good information on scratch building.

George

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  7:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That is some excellent styrene work Michael, very nice indeed!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  9:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George and Carl, thank you. Your comments are very nice. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with styrene, but it has its advantages, so I use it. I do like the precision that is possible with this medium. I hope my descriptions on how I do things helps somebody somewhere.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 09/29/2017 :  11:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very impressive Mike. The models are superb!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  08:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Very impressive Mike. The models are superb!
Dave

Thank you, Dave!

--Mike

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  6:08:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mike,

I must chime in to complement you on your skill in working with polystyrene. I doubt many could scratch build little cabeese as clean as these.

EK

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  6:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Kyle! I never thought working in styrene was all that unusual but you might be right. I built my first scratchbuilt boxcars 25 years from styrene because I was following an article in Model Railroader.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 09/30/2017 :  7:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second Kyle, my styrene skills are medioker at best.

Blair, I also have found those same running gear on Shapeways. They are in my storage waiting for something nice similar to your good looking boober. I just love the crew on one of photos.

Håkan

Edited by - masonamerican on 09/30/2017 7:54:16 PM

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000