Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 3D printing for everyone
Page: of 51

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/15/2017 :  08:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave and Philip, thank you!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  7:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With completion of my meat packing plant, I have another prototype-based structure for my railroad.

I guess what I need now are some Swift reefers from Chicago, not to mention reefers with special Oregon beef from the Coos Bay and Willamette Valley!

Over the past three months I have managed to get some track down and partially wired. The area where the new Swift's will go:

Looking in the opposite direction:

With completion of a major structure, I did the ritual cleaning of the work area:

I am ready for the next project, probably another structure. Perhaps complete my car shop.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  11:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Swift plant looks great. It also seems like you're pretty close to being able to run trains, even if only with a
temporary throttle connection.

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 04/16/2017 :  07:39:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, The Swift plant looks good there. Sounds like you'll soon be able to pack in some train running too, nice!

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/16/2017 :  09:12:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent structure, excellent craftsmanship!

Andre

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/16/2017 :  2:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great signs on the Swift structure!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  1:15:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice job on that building.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  9:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, everyone, for the kind comments.

James, I just about have the mainline done the length of my layout.

Bill, yes, soon the layout will be action-packed with cuts of reefers bringing in the meat and customers taking cuts of beef etc.

Andre, excellent words! Thank you.

Dave, I searched the internet for what seemed to be traditional fonts for the signs. The sans serif one was used in the UK early in the 20th Century.

Jerry, Thank you for looking in and your compliment.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  10:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike your packing plant looks right at home'. Great structure'.. You know Mike, perhaps a little scenery work on the layout might be the ticket. I only say this as I built one structure after another and
inadvertently started to neglect the layout as building is so addictive. I realized I had to give them both equal time or, the layout would never get finished....

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  10:17:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted,

Thank you. You have a good point. I am thinking for the near future I'll devote lunchtimes to model-building and work on track wiring, ballasting and scenery in the evening.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  08:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Swift plant looks terrific in place, Mike.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  09:13:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike, that's really nice. Too bad you're going to spoil that pretty paint job with weathering.

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  10:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat structure! Turned out nice!

Philip

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  12:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Frank, and Philip, Thak you!

Frank, are you implying that I need to get to work adding some weathering? You're right, of course. At most it will be subtle because this would be a fairly new building in the 1880's period I model.

Mike

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  10:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Love this building, I can smell the fresh lead paint...

I love the cleanliness of the buildings of this era, new structures, fresh paint and fresh wood.
In a way, that is one of the identities of this era, many of the stations and structures were built in this period, so they were still pretty fresh at this point.

Many of the main US routes were also further developed in this period of the 70s-80s, and their right of ways were improved and widened to their current width and appearance. I think a lot of the dry stone-on-stone wall work on the Lehigh Valley was laid in this era. So this was also the time when so much of that work was new and crisp before the walls and foundations started to settle and sag.

Edited by - BlairM on 04/24/2017 10:44:38 PM

Page: of 51 Topic Next Topic: 3D printing for everyone  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000