Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 3D printing for everyone
Page: of 51

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  09:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Mike, I find I occasionally use the lines on my mat to keep things square - better than trying by eye.

George

George,
When I get impatient and want to see what a structure is going to look like I will prop up the walls using the lines as a guide.

For cutting strips of masking tape I will stick it down on the mat and align my straightedge to the tick marks.

One feature I really like about these mats is that I can feel when I have cut all the way through material because the drag on the knife is different. Poster or mat board work but you don't get that same contrast.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 12/12/2016 10:23:44 AM

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  9:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a couple of photos showing my progress on the roof:

A few more trusses to install, then more of the 6 by 6" rafters to tie everything together.

The side walls are just put into place; they will come out when I install the machines.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  10:35:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is looking so sharp!!! How does the roof separate from the rest of the structure?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  03:52:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

That is looking so sharp!!! How does the roof separate from the rest of the structure?

Bob,

It's pretty flimsy at this point but there's a long way to go.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  07:09:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's going to work well when completed. looks good.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  07:47:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It'll be a shame to cover up all that work with a roof!

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  08:13:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, when you are done with the crew of LP doing that roof framing, I could use them.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  09:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That last picture helps a lot to understand the construction process, particularly how you handled the belt drive installation (which is very fussy...) Is that "layer" with the pulleys on it also removable?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  11:14:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice!

Philip

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  11:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! OK. That's working fine. I'm sure that by the time you add the sub-roofing the flimsiness will disappear. Like the treasure on Oak Island.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  10:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, Thank you. I sure hope it all works.

Mike, The model will probably spend much of its time with the roof removed.

Bruce, at the rate which my crew works you would not want to hire them.

Dave, the layer with the pulleys is glued to the end walls.

Philip, thank you.

Bob, there are a couple more layers of wood to go. The roof will be pretty solid at that point. Strength through numbers.

I seem to be moving faster than normal. For instance, the one layer of rafters is complete for now:

Here's what things look like with roof and walls out of the way:

And here's the roof assembly so far:

This evening I started cutting 2" by 8" boards for the next step.

Again, thank you for all the encouraging words.

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2016 :  11:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, it's almost like a layered cake, filled with belt driven machinery.
Nice bit of work pulling all of those roof pieces together.

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  07:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Thank you.

Some cakes have files inside, mine have machinery. Eventually.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  08:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, how are you holding the walls in place? Friction fit? I've been thinking about tiny magnets for the walls in my Wichendon Machine and the roof on my CM roundhouse. The one problem I've had with the latter is gluing the magnets in place, so far the epoxy hasn't held them and removing the roof often leaves the magnets behind. (magnet clamp is stronger than glue strength.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 12/14/2016 08:37:57 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  09:22:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The one problem I've had with the latter is gluing the magnets in place, so far the epoxy hasn't held them and removing the roof often leaves the magnets behind. (magnet clamp is stronger than glue strength.)

dave

Dave,

Are you using two magnets or one and a piece of steel? I would use two magnets plus a small strip of metal, the thinner the better, to hold the roof down. Use some "feeler" stock metal that's about .002" or .003" thick sandwiched between two pieces of wood so you don't see it.

If you can't picture this I'll see if I can get a picture of a mock up by tonight.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Page: of 51 Topic Next Topic: 3D printing for everyone  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000