Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 99 ]  [ Total: 106 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Page: of 56

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  7:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Love the massive internal posts and beams with the use of the horizontal studs.
This is going to be a great machine shop!
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  8:19:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you. Some of the post dimensions follow prototype, others are a little oversized to accommodate building the shop as a series of assemblies so that the roof and sides can be removable.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  07:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somehow I have missed your threads before, probably because I haven't had a real interest in that time period (even though at my age I should ). Is this HO standard gauge?

Mike

engineerkyle
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit engineerkyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
looks great

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/08/2016 :  1:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kyle, thank you.

Mike, thank you for stopping by. Yes, HO standard gauge, although everything is so small I've had visitors to my layout think it was narrow gauge until I cleared things up.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  3:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember a few months or more ago, somebody asked about cutting mats, whether we used the grid imprinted on most. Was that grid really necessary. I recalled this conversation today while drilling holes in trusses for rods. It is not such a critical operation as to require a jig. I found the mat useful for lining things up, shown in these photos.

I line up the base of the truss along a grid line, then line up my drill bit along a perpendicular grid line:

Inserting the tie rod, I align the truss along the edge of the mat, again using a grid line as a reference for my drill bit:

The result once the ends of the tie rod are trimmed:

Not exact, but pretty darn good.

Now if there was a mat marked off in HO dimension. Yeah right. That will happen about the same time somebody manufactures a metal scale rule with HO dimensions on all four edges so that however you pick it up you have the scale you need.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  7:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well you impressed me enough with that tip to finally go get one. Sources?

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  8:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Mine is from Michaels. I think most art and craft stores sell them.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  10:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice tip. How many rafters do you have to do? Gpod job here, a nice, but often overlooked detail, these compression rods.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  11:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got a mat with the same yellow-on-green color scheme from a tool dealer at W. Springfield a couple of years ago.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  08:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

Nice tip. How many rafters do you have to do? Gpod job here, a nice, but often overlooked detail, these compression rods.

Bob,

Thank you. I did a total of 8 truss assembles. Many more and a jig would have been the way to go.

I find the rods add a lot to a model, similar to nbw's on trestles etc.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  08:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

I got a mat with the same yellow-on-green color scheme from a tool dealer at W. Springfield a couple of years ago.

James,

Good point. I think I've also seen them at shows.

Mike

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  08:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few mats of different sizes. Michaels, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, JoAnns, all carry them. I got my last one on line (Amazon).

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  08:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, I find I occasionally use the lines on my mat to keep things square - better than trying by eye.

George

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/12/2016 :  09:00:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I find the rods add a lot to a model, similar to nbw's on trestles etc.
Mike

And block style gussets/bolts too sometime!

Looks like you'll be ready for tar paper soon?

Philip

Edited by - Philip on 12/12/2016 09:02:05 AM

Page: of 56 Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000