Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 126 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was Chuck Doan who suggested mylar for modeling the leather belts. I have 2 different machine shop projects put away (Wichendon Machine and some stuff in my roundhouse), so I'm watching this with great interest!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  5:50:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, thank you for the photo. I've been searching on and off for images from back then but have not seen this one. It has a lot of detail.

Dave, I am going to try Tyvek, a new material to me. Several people on here have used it (including Bob Harris) because of its texture and ease of use. We will see how it turns out.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  07:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mylar and Tyvek work well and I've seen good belts made from thin brown paper lunch bags too.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  09:23:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your layout of all the machines looks good, Mike.

The leather belting industry was a good customer of the tanning industry.

Now you need to add a leather belting manufacturer to your stack of kits. MicroScale Models offers one.

http://micro-scale.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Fisher-leather-belting-tank-view.jpg

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  12:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce,

You're right. I also plan to have a carriage industry and they are going to need leather goods.

I love learning about these old industries.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Philip
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  1:14:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking machinery and floor joist planning Mike.

Philip

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  8:03:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Philip.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/04/2016 :  10:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned Mike, very nice work on those intricate machines. Well done'..

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2016 :  12:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, Thank you.

I'm giving my eyes a rest by working on the walls and roof. I'm almost finished with painting the walls. The roof is going to require several trusses and will be removable.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  5:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With the past weekend and the day off today for the election (yes, I voted)available for modeling in-between raking leaves and other household tasks, I scored a model railroading trifecta of sorts, making progress on three models.

First, I added a sign to the general store, naming it after Dave Guffey, veteran modeler of many fine large-scale structures.

The sign is small, about the size of the one in the photo I worked from while building this model. In fact, many small-town and neighborhood businesses had little in the way of signs or very modest ones at most. After all, their clientele lived locally and did not need signs to tell them where the general store, blacksmith shop, and livery stable were located.

I have all the bits and pieces ready to build the main shaft of the machine shop, but I switched pulleys so to speak and constructed eight trusses for the roof. I could not resist setting up the four walls of the shop to see how the whole car shop will look.

The four walls are just leaning against each other, a testament to how straight and plumb I was able to build them. I consider this a real advantage in board on board construction over sheetwood. The latter likes to warp easily and it is easy to end up with a wall that is a little wonky

My layout made some progress with all homasote cut out and ready to be painted a neutral color.

I will cut the lift-out sections for in front of the window at some later date.

Next on the list are:
- building an interior for the store, using some the ideas I have gathered.
- Build the Main shaft of the machine shop, install the countershafts, and add belts.
- paint the sections of homasote--both sides--screw them down, and start laying out the track.

Why so many goals all at the same time? I usually do some work over lunch in my office at work, a little when I get home after work, and perhaps some in the evening. The machine shop and general store are getting too delicate to carry between home and work, so one will be the lunchtime project while the other is the after work project.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  6:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Mike.

Really liking the Machine Shop. I'm going to have to try that board by board construction. Going to need a shelter of some sort for those quarry critters to keep the rain off them.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  7:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Thank you for the honor of naming the store after me. Now we have to put some things in the window and open the store for business.
Much appreciated,
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  8:45:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Nice progress Mike.

Really liking the Machine Shop. I'm going to have to try that board by board construction. Going to need a shelter of some sort for those quarry critters to keep the rain off them.

Bernd

Bernd, thank you.

I'm picturing a brick critter house for your stable of horsepower. Maybe for a quarry that might be a little too much.

Mke

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  8:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guff

Mike,
Thank you for the honor of naming the store after me. Now we have to put some things in the window and open the store for business.
Much appreciated,
Dave

Dave,

You are more than welcome. Much deserved. I enjoy watchng you work and you seem to have a feel for old-fashioned neighborhoods. Once I thought of it, everything fell together. I found a Victorian-looking font on the web, was able to play with color to match the background to the structure paint, and got the look I wanted.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  9:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bernd, thank you.

I'm picturing a brick critter house for your stable of horsepower. Maybe for a quarry that might be a little too much.

Mke

You know Mike you may have hit on something. "Block" critter house made from lime stone. By golly I think that's it. I like it. I'll have to fire up the CAD program and design one. I'll use plaster instead of brass though.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000