Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 8 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 113 ]  [ Total: 121 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Boy, Isnt She Stacked! Topic Next Topic: Anyone get anything from Santa?
Page: of 46

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  08:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a neat looking General Store, Mike.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  5:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

That is a neat looking General Store, Mike.

Bruce, thank you.

--Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/28/2016 :  7:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike, Just realized I haven't checked in since you have completed your 'general store'.
It looks real good Mike, and I really like the coloring. Nice tight, clean build'..See, being subjected to a little pressure certainly paid off'...Looking forward to the SIGN now.....more pressure'...{LOL}

1/4 G 48 :<)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2016 :  09:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted,

Thank you. The color is a never-to-be-replicated one that I mixed from yellow ochre, white, and I think a little brown. I tried straight yellow ochre craft paint but it was much too orange. The brown is basically a burnt umber similar to what I uncovered on trim both inside and outside our 1850's home.

I feel the pressure.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2016 :  11:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Great job with the general store! The design, color and size is perfect.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2016 :  2:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave!!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2016 :  8:21:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Began working on the line shaft and countershafts for my machine shop. I'm going pretty slow to try to build as accurate a model as possible and I am learning a lot in the process. For instance, the cones need to point in opposite directions, have the same number of rings, and probably be the same size. I can make sure they are oriented correctly, I suppose I could remove rings, but I can't do much about size.

Here's the Lathe:

I plan to make my own shifter arms for a couple of these assemblies.

. . . the Bolt Threader:

. . . and the Planer::

I have details to add, the pulleys to secure, unpainted shifter arms to paint, and grunge to add. I used a blackener on the pulleys etc. but much of it got removed when I polished up the working surfaces.

Not going as bad as I feared.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  07:35:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those look really good, Mike, and the polished surfaces look right to me.
"...the cones need to point in opposite directions, have the same number of rings, and probably be the same size. I can make sure they are oriented correctly, I suppose I could remove rings, but I can't do much about size. "
I haven't seen these machine tool models in person, but if the cones can be put on a temporary shaft you could chuck that shaft in a drill and gently turn the rings to match their sizes.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  08:34:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice looking machines, Mike.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  10:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Impressive tools!!!

Dave

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  12:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Your machines are looking good, Mike. Fun matching the cones isn't it. I'm glad all our Machine tools have gears for reversing because that would added a whole another series of belts and wheels. I see you have both SS Ltd's and RGM's pulleys If recently found another supplier of cones; http://www.shapeways.com/product/S26TVVWEQ/parts-for-overhead-belt-drive-system?optionId=58855314

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  7:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you everybody!

This project has gotten me out of my comfortable box but that's half he fun. I sure am learning a lot.

Bill, thank you for the suggestion. The biggest problem with size is that the cones I had on hand were too small. However, I did build two more countershaft assemblies and cut down one cone to get the right number of rings. I basically need to do more modeling that requires metal work.

Bruce, your words are very encouraging.

Dave, thank you for the enthusiasm.

Bob, I read through your machine shop construction thread of a few years ago and it's been very helpful.

I will try to post more photos this evening.

Mike

Ensign
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  7:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

This project has gotten me out of my comfortable box but that's half he fun. I sure am learning a lot.

Mike

Mike, I couldn't agree with you more, about how important it is to try stepping out of one's comfort zone/box, and learning a thing or two in the process.
It's how we all become better modellers.

Okay I didn't agree with the word "box" and used zone instead, but other than that.

Really nice work with your machines, so far.
Keep on machining!

Greg Shinnie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/02/2016 :  8:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greg,

Well I did sort of conflate two sayings. In any case, thank you!

Meanwhile, I completed basic assembly of the five countershafts and started to plan where the machines will sit on the floor . . .

and the countershafts to the ceiling beams:

I discovered that the countershaft for the bolt threader was built with the belt shifter on the wrong side, but it turns out that it will work for the wheel lathe (the large machine farthest from the camera.) I built a new countershaft for the bolt threader. They get faster after a while.

I also cut down the cone to three rings for the wheel borer (lower left). I should have done the same for others but most people wont notice. Maybe next time.

I assume this does not matter for shifters that operate a clutch rather than moving the belt back and forth between pulleys.

My plan: build the main shaft, attach countershafts to beams, install belts between main shaft and countershafts, then take care of the shifter arms.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  08:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Nice machine set up. I've always been fascinated by line drive machines. Here's a pic of an early shop to give you a better idea of it looked like back in the day.

May give you some ideas. Just Google "line shaft pulleys and belting".

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Page: of 46 Previous Topic: Boy, Isnt She Stacked! Topic Next Topic: Anyone get anything from Santa?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000