Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 93 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Georgia on a slow train Topic Next Topic: Anyone get anything from Santa?
Page: of 46

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/16/2016 :  10:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich,

Thank you. I did a little more work after taking the photo but will wait until later in the week to post.

The parts of my layout along the length of the room under the sloped ceiling are narrow to leave the middle of the room open. The benchwork at either end will be deeper. It looks narrow in front of the window but I want to provide easy access to the window without having a lift-out section with track. Instead I will have a couple of lift outs which will fit the space between the permanent benchwork and the wall with the window, a space 18" deep by about 8' long. These sections will include a street with houses, commercial buildings such as the general store, and maybe small businesses. Not needing to hold track these lift outs will be rather insubstantial in comparison to permanent layout.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  12:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, the store coming along nicely.

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  11:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
I like the progress you made on the general store! With the nice large window storefront, adding an interior would be a real attention grabber. Definitely a nice build with much thought put into it's history and design.
Dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/17/2016 :  11:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Dave.

I must confess to being tempted to do an interior. Maybe when I've completed the exterior with some details I'll do a little research and attempt an interior. Gotta get back to the layout, however.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  07:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must confess to being tempted to do an interior. Michael Hohn

'Mikey, Try it, you'll like it!'
Here's the interior of the general store on the C&V, made out of odds & ends. :)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  07:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Great job on that store. It gives me some ideas. I'll just have to backdate to 1880's.

How did you do that stone foundation? It looks terrific.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  4:29:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Bill...Very Nice!!!!

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  6:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, A lot of the stuff in my gen'l store would look right at home in the 1880s and some of the rest is pretty ambiguous. There are really only a few "modern" items. Look through all the stuff you have.. a few wooden boxes and a barrel or two, some hand tools, bolts of cloth (colored paper) and your well on your way.

The foundation is the styrene one that came with the original kit before I bashed it into the store. I don't remember what the surface of the original was supposed to be, but I lightly sanded it off then scribed the seams between the blocks of granite then carved a few irregularities to differentiate the individual blocks and finally scraped each block area separately with a single edged razor blade held perpendicular to the surface. The scraping varied in pressure and sometimes I rotated the blade a little as I dragged it. The blade chattered a bit at times and all that gave the surface a texture that to me looks like cut granite. There are a lot of granite foundations around here for reference. I first sprayed the foundation with a light gray primer (Krylon?) and then hand painted the veins and variations using dilute craft acrylics.

Thanks, Guff!

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  9:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Michael,

Nice job on your current project.

Also, I like your benchwork. Why does it appear so narrow? One would think it to be somewhat wider, if you were to plant larger structures and still have room for track. I shouldn't talk, I don't have a layout yet, and I've got to do drywall on my walls before I can begin.
Nice overall.
Rich

Okay Already, Richard. I'v been hearing about this drywall project now going on 3 years almost now'...So when will it get done',,No wonder Darlene has to keep after you on your chores'...(LOL)...

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  9:48:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Mike, now lets keep it going'... None of us are getting any younger'...

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2016 :  10:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill, thank you for the information.

Ted, I seem to be on a roll these days so I'll try to keep it up.

Mike

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  11:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Just an interesting historical side note, there was a big reason why shop owners wanted to be the U.S. Post Office. If the store was robbed, even if the mail was not touched, it was a Federal Offense, and the Federal Marshall's got involved in the investigation, so from the perspective of the store owner, it was like having the Feds for security.

Horse

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  7:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After the prodding, pushing and pressure I was subjected to, I can report that my general store is complete but for a sign. The sign will have to wait until I know where it will go and whether it will stand in for a prototype structure on my layout.

As for an interior, that might follow but for now I need to work on other projects.

First, the front:

The photo of the prototype store showed assorted merchandise arrayed on either side of the entrance. I rummaged through my parts to come up with an appropriate sampling of goods.

As I wrote in a previous post, the paper shingles are from Bar Mills. I made sure to stain the white edges of the paper strips. Nothing special about the side porch which was built up from stripwood and Grandt Line porch posts.

The back is pretty plain:

The chimneys are parts I found, painted a brick color, slathered with Bragdon mortar powder in water, which when dried I wiped off the brick faces with a wet finger to leave mortar where it belongs.

A final view showing the stairs to the upstairs rooms.

The stairs are a combination of Rusty Stumps stringers and stripwood treads and risers. The handrail is styrene to make this fragile component flexible and therefore more likely to survive my clumsy fingers.

What next? Maybe back to the car shop machine room.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  8:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a nifty store there, mighty fine indeed. Why the door in mid air? Did they store stuff on the 2nd floor?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 10/22/2016 :  10:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the kind words.

The door? I've seen doors like this on buildings and I think in many cases the purpose is along the lines you suggest. In truth, In the photo I was working from, I mistook a tall window and two short windows for a door and two windows. I discovered my error too late and decided to live with it rather than try to patch the siding.

I made another mistake on the other side of the store: I cut the opening for the door too far toward the front. In that case I decided to move the door over and was able to do a fair job of patching the original opening so that only a faint line is visible in the photo.

The stairway actually does stick out beyond the facade of the store like in my model.

By the way, if the back of the store is visible once I place it on the layout I will of course provide a step or two down from the back door.

My wife says it's the best model I've done. It's not the most complex model, but it is probably the most recognizable ikon of rural American I've built.

Thank you for following along and for the encouragement to finish it up. Now if I give my scratchbuilding clinic again I will have a complete model to show.

Mike

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 10/22/2016 10:43:49 PM

Page: of 46 Previous Topic: Georgia on a slow train Topic Next Topic: Anyone get anything from Santa?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000