Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 10 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 118 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: RexsDad ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: A.A. Cooper Wagons and Buggies Topic Next Topic: Canfield and McGlone Resin Kits
Page: of 47

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/22/2014 :  9:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind comments.

Bernd, I am using the MicroMark products. Previously I had used the Bragdon line and it worked just fine. One thing I've learned is to use up the materials promptly, especially the rtv rubber. I was rather frantically building masters and pouring molds all spring and summer to use it up. Still have about a third of the resin to use.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Edited by - Michael Hohn on 11/22/2014 10:37:30 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  09:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Thank you for the kind comments.

Bernd, I am using the MicroMark products. Previously I had used the Bragdon line and it worked just fine. One thing I've learned is to use up the materials promptly, especially the rtv rubber. I was rather frantically building masters and pouring molds all spring and summer to use it up. Still have about a third of the resin to use.

Mike

That's one thing I noticed too was that you need to use the compounds up in less than a year. Once air gets inside it has a limited shelf life.

I started out with Micro Mark's rubber and resin. Found that the resin gets brittle if you pressure cast it. I switched to Smooth-On after finding out what Gene Fusco used on his models.

You've given me some incentive to try and do some resin car casting. I'm going to need quite a few cars for my limestone quarry operation.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

dave1905
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  6:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Micro Mark resin is Smooth On resin. Smooth On makes it and repackages it for Micro Mark. Same with RTV.

Dave H.

Iron men and wooden cars

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  7:31:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave1905

Micro Mark resin is Smooth On resin. Smooth On makes it and repackages it for Micro Mark. Same with RTV.

That may be, but there's got to be different grades. Micro Mark might not be getting the best resin. The rubber might not be the same either. Micro Mark is green while Smooth On is a blue, plus the rubber feels different. Again perhaps Micro Mark's not getting the best rubber. Smooth On may be manufacturing for Micro Mark. In my opinion I think Smooth On is better.

Your mileage may vary.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/23/2014 :  9:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Weather cooperated, my garage was warm, and I did some airbrush work. Here are the results as shown in an iPhone quickie:

A couple of days letting the paint dry and I'll be ready to decal. I had a little oops and need to replace one of the brake wheels.

Regarding the molding rubber I'm using, it's MicroMark's "One-to-One/Rapid 4-hour cure RTV silicone mold rubber". I usually let it cure overnight.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
One thing I've learned is to use up the materials promptly, especially the rtv rubber.

I try to avoid any storage of either the RTV or the resin. Once open, I make just molds and pour resin until I run out of everything.

I started out using those products; Smooth On, etc., but found that they all cured to quickly for my purposes and I moved over to the RTV and resin products from Freeman (now marketed by Miapoxy). When I started using their resin, they recommended storing the resin no more than 6 months after breaking the seal on the containers.

All that squealing reminds me of somebody trying to shear a piglet.
You get plenty of squealing, but very little wool.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 11/24/2014 :  11:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

I try to avoid any storage of either the RTV or the resin. Once open, I make just molds and pour resin until I run out of everything.

I started out using those products; Smooth On, etc., but found that they all cured to quickly for my purposes and I moved over to the RTV and resin products from Freeman (now marketed by Miapoxy). When I started using their resin, they recommended storing the resin no more than 6 months after breaking the seal on the containers.

Martin,

You jogged my memory, Miapoxy was the other one I looked into.

Bernd

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/27/2014 :  3:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been working on and off on a car shop for my railroad, the Southern Central. The footprint follows an old insurance map, but the rest I have to invent. It's a long, narrow building with another couple of buildings attached. I have some of the walls built, and today have been planking the floor. Tedious, but I take many breaks. Almost done:

I have yet to plank between the rails. Boards are pre-stained but after all are down I will go over the whole floor with a weathered brown stain.

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/28/2014 :  08:49:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take it the openings are for service pits?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/28/2014 :  09:21:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, service pits indeed. I debated with myself over including them but followed plans for other car shops. Unfortunately, none of the plans were for the northeast in the 1880's. Can't always follow prototype when no data.

Plus, they look neat.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/05/2014 :  6:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Working on the front of the car shop. I used a compass with knife to cut the trim over the door.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2014 :  6:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been a busy week at work and at home so progress has been limited. Nevertheless, I added one of the walls to the floor. I started trimming the battens for later application of a trim piece.

I want to maintain a company look by using similar architecture and paint on all my line's structures, so I am trying to match the style used in an engine house I built in the 90's. You can see it in the background of this photo.

I was uncertain the size of stripwood I used twenty years ago but I did a little measuring and pulled out a pack of what seemed the right size. Lo and behold, there was a piece of left-over trim from the enginehouse project in the pack. Never thought it would be so easy but I guess there were only so many choices.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/22/2014 :  10:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Further Progress on the Car Shop

I just about have all the sides glued on the floor. Because the sides warped considerably, it takes extra clamps to make sure everything stays where it should as the glue dries.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/02/2015 :  6:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Making so much progress on my car shop that I decided to start a new project kitbashing two B.T.S. boxcar kits to increase my B&O roster and to take part in a builds challenge:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44328

I've had a couple B.T.S kits hanging around for several years now and I just needed a little motivation. I even have the decals. One kit is for the B&O M-2 boxcar, the other for a generic radial-roof 32' boxcar. I'm going to create two M-1 boxcars using old photos and car diagrams for guidance. The B&O rostered 28' cars in the thousands, whereas in the year I am modeling, 34' B&O cars were much less common.

Here is where I am so far:

The first task was to shorten both to a 28' 2" interior length. In case I decide to leave a door or two open, I did the surgery on the sides toward the ends of the cars. I'm not too worried about the interior framing. The joints in the photos look a little crude but in fact the sides and underframe glued up pretty good as long as I wasn't too ham-fisted. They are pretty strong at this point.

I have already decided to "improve" the kit by substituting full-width body bolsters for the ones supplied.

--Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  7:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've completed the underframes with the addition of queenposts and trussrods. I made my own for more detail and more accurate "needle beam" cross section. A photo of the end of an early B&O car shows that the two truss rods were close to the center sills. Cars of this era often lacked turnbuckles so I did not install any.

I'll be doing a number of substitutions during this build, recalling a certain song by The Who.

I'm looking forward to getting the sheathing on, the next step. After a year of largely working in resin for rolling stock it's nice to work again in wood. I tire of the ACC fumes, resin fumes when casting, resin dust--I've been wearing a mask lately--and "plastic" feel of the resin. I now cast under a hood or in my open garage, thus limiting the season when I can cast models. Just as well perhaps.

Mike

Page: of 47 Previous Topic: A.A. Cooper Wagons and Buggies Topic Next Topic: Canfield and McGlone Resin Kits  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000