Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 109 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: 3D printing for everyone
Page: of 51

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  11:56:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the rebuild!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

BlairM
Section Hand

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  12:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a pretty big fan of your style of modeling Michael, first, you model LVRR lines, so that gets you points in my anthracite book.

Second, your rolling stock looks great and is all unique looking pieces, you put focus into each piece of stock and as a result a line of boxcars has the proper 1800s look that is specific the PA&NY, Southern Central & LVRR.

Third, your layout is a nice achievable size not to rule your life and still leaves room for other activities in the middle of the room. The small size also lets you focus on building a few accurate structures with good details and not be overwhelmed by building a whole city.
I admire Sellios and Rod Stewart, but I know I don't have enough time to build that much.

All the best on the project.

Blair

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  6:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you. So far so good. Today I removed track from the two sections sitting in the floor in the photos without tearing it up. That Micro Engneerng track falls apart pretty easily. All I had to do was pull a few track nails, spritz with wet water, and carefully work a putty knife underneath. I'm glad I used a water-soluble glue, but I can't remember whether it's Elmers white or yellow. I suspect the former. I don't know how well the yellow softens when wetted.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  6:42:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blair,

Thank you for your kind words. In response to your comments, I don't remember how I latched onto the LV but it has not let me down. I even have 20th century equipment and rolling stock that I run at our local club. As for my approach to the historical modeling, early in my re-entry into the hobby in the 1980's I became interested in prototype modeling, so I try to carry it back to an early era. There's a fair amount of info out there. Finally, I have a lot of interests such as gardening and antiques that help to keep my railroad interests within reasonable bounds. My interest in historic architecture and antiques overlaps with my modeling.

Thanks again.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/07/2016 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like you have a nice project going on, that will keep you busy for while, Mike'. And the best part is, No more compromises....

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  9:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Looks like you have a nice project going on, that will keep you busy for while, Mike'. And the best part is, No more compromises....

Hi Ted,

Yes, this will keep me out of trouble for a while.

I'm not sure I will have NO compromises, but certainly fewer.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  04:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun to see your train room! Looks quite cosy. Couldn't help notice the IKEA stuff

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  04:58:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun to see your train room! Looks quite cosy. I'm sure I have seen that chair before. IKEA? :-)

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  9:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Fun to see your train room! Looks quite cosy. I'm sure I have seen that chair before. IKEA? :-)

Håkan

Håkan,

Thank you. Yes, IKEA. Ten years ago our daughter did a class at university of Pittsburgh and needed some furniture.

Mike

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  08:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, Really good work and a nice room above the garage to hold it all. Somehow I missed your latest posts here, but it was fun to binge-read to catch up again.

You wondered about how water soluble yellow glue might be when you were salvaging flextrack. It's pretty water resistant, but if you find that you did use yellow glue in some places instead of Elmer's, you can soak the ballast in isopropyl alcohol (90% is better, 70% will work) and cover the area with a plastic bag to slow evaporation, you can soften the glue.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  09:22:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Thank you. Most of my organized work the last six months has been on the club layout so not many updates here.

Your info on glue will be most helpful. There have been a few places where the ballast does not want to let go; I suspect it was where I'd used the yellow glue. I have to decide whether I want to use the gallon of yellow glue for new work or get some white. Since I move track around I suspect I should do the latter.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  4:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Wow, you have a lot of work ahead of you with the new train room layout.
Beautiful job on the machine shop...a great looking build!
Dave

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  4:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

quote:
Originally posted by masonamerican

Håkan

Håkan,

Thank you. Yes, IKEA. Ten years ago our daughter did a class at university of Pittsburgh and needed some furniture.

Mike

I've been in Ikeas on 4 continents (North America, Europe, China and Australia), and the only thing that differentiates them is one of the languages on the signage :-)

dave

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Do they include the Allen wrench on all four continents?

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 08/18/2016 :  7:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Dave,

Do they include the Allen wrench on all four continents?

Mike

Can't say, since we didn't buy anything on 3 of them… Mostly we went in for the experience.

dave

Page: of 51 Topic Next Topic: 3D printing for everyone  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000