Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 125 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co
Page: of 64

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  6:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you for the kind words. I'll try to live up to your expectations.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  3:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It feels good to be back to the machine shop, partly because of the varied tasks and materials. This week was spent working on the ceiling beams and support for the line shaft:

and starting on the side walls, including scale 1 by 12" for sheathing, 10 by 10" for posts, 10 by 12" for sills, and 6 by 10" for beams at the top of each wall:

In other words, I've cut a lot of wood into shorter pieces.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/23/2016 :  4:28:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They'll look better assembled.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  8:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

They'll look better assembled.

Bob, You're right. I really put on a push this week and have one side almost complete and the second one started:

And here's what everything looks like when I prop up all the parts:

Everything is sort of uniform in color right now, but down the road I will be painting the outside a buff color and dirtying up the insides a little. I might be able to start the painting this weekend.

Mike

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  9:34:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mike,

Those individual boards look nice. Hate to see that nice honey colored wood get dirtied up.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  10:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice. One of the things I sould of done different is not using sheet siding for the walls. Built up walls look so much better.

It's only make-believe

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  10:39:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike, that is a beautiful color of wood indeed. Excellent construction, looks completely realistic and authentic'..and a very clean, precisely cut fit and finish'...What I call true miniature carpentry'........

Ted

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  11:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys!

Bernd, I hate to dirty it up also. I am most interested in the architecture and structure of buildings so the weathering tends to be an afterthought in comparison. Nevertheless it is really necessary for a little realism and also to relieve the boredom of the same color throughout.

Ted, I appreciate your kind words. Seeing what others can do is a definite challenge.

Bob, I used sheetwood in a recent project--actually the front part of this car shop--and it warped seriously. I think it is difficult to build walls where both sides are visible with sheetwood without problems with warping. It really needs good stout bracing which can't be done if the interior is going to be modeled.

Mike

Glen Haasdyk
Fireman

Posted - 07/29/2016 :  11:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mike. I really like it when modellers take the time to model both the outside and inside of their structures.

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  12:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Bob, I used sheetwood in a recent project--actually the front part of this car shop--and it warped seriously. I think it is difficult to build walls where both sides are visible with sheetwood without problems with warping. It really needs good stout bracing which can't be done if the interior is going to be modeled.

Mike

I totally agree, I went to great care to choose pieces that curved opposite of each other and used 10'x10" posts for supports/bracing. So far it has worked.

Bob

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/30/2016 :  08:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glen. Thank you. I think this is only my fifth building to have an interior. I have all the machines for the shop so the situation sort of called for board on board. It's kind of therapeutic, I suppose like hand-laying track.

Bob, I'm glad the 10 by 10 took care of the problem for you. In my case the car shop walls were made from six pieces of board and batten siding. Each one cupped and because the grain runs up and down, the whole side came out in one large arc. I ended up using brads to attach the sides to the floor assembly and to the roof trusses. That was an adventure.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/05/2016 :  8:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Time for an update.

I airbrushed one side wall lightly. Meanwhile, the other wall is almost ready for the airbrush. Here is everything propped up against the car shop to give an idea of what the complete building will look like.

Progress is slow but steady. Next week I am traveling so won't have much to show.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  9:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The largest project I have going is a rebuild of more than half of my layout. The main reason is that I am modeling the Southern Central Railroad (Lehigh Valley RR eventually) where it crosses and interchanges with the New York Central in Auburn, NY. I made a lot of compromises in my previous design which only a compete rebuild will solve.

The first photo shows the layout as one reaches the top of the stairs and first glimpses my alternative world. Situated in a room above our two-car garage, the layout is on narrow shelves under the eaves of the room to leave the center clear for workbench, guitar fumblings, and a quiet place to read.

Stepping to the left, here is the other side of the room. The section you see in the center of the room will move back to the end of the section in the first photo. It had to be moved out of the way for installation of air conditioning.

My layout is lower than usual--about 30" above the floor--to allow it to be tucked under the ceiling. When I sit to read or check the latest Forum posts, the layout is at my eye-level, so in a way I am in the scene.

Here are the end sections disassembled, waiting for the rest of the track to be removed.

I bought some lumber today in preparation for reconstructing the Southern Central.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  10:22:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you can enjoy the trip. I look foward to seeing more progress when you return.

It's only make-believe

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 08/06/2016 :  11:04:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob.

Page: of 64 Previous Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley Topic Next Topic: The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000