Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 70 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: Walter ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Boy, Isnt She Stacked! Topic Next Topic: Anyone get anything from Santa?
Page: of 46

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  2:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks very nice Mike. You are off to a good start.

Håkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/18/2016 :  9:17:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Håkan, Thank you.

Tomorrow I'm working on windows; perhaps I will have something to post then.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 05/19/2016 :  8:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A little bit of progress: windows have glass in them (shades etc. at a later date) and I've added trim boards around the bottom sill of the building.

I have not done the front windows yet; that's next, along with the floor in the entrance.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 05/20/2016 :  10:57:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's looking good Mike and it's going to look better.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  9:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a part of my job I am an ex officio member of the Archives and History Commission in my state. Among other things the commission vets nominations to the National Register of Historic Places. We meet three times a year; the summer meeting was held yesterday here in Morgantown, WV. Because the agenda was fairly light, I presented some of the models I built over the years based on prototype structures. My presentation was particularly timely because this evening a friend of mine gave a lecture at the local city history museum on the subject of the Morgantown and Kingwood Railroad, which ran from Morgantown to Rowlesburg WV and interchanged with the B&O.

Of course one of the buildings I took to the commission meeting yeasterday was the model I built earlier this year of the enginehouse in Rowlesburg:

The second model I displayed yesterday was based on a West Virginia Central depot in Dobbin, WV. The WVC eventually was bought by the Western Maryland.

As I watched the lecture this evening, I saw a strong resemblance between depots on the M&K and the WVC, I suspect because the man instrumental in the building of the M&K, Stephen Elkins, played a similar role for the WVC.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  10:28:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dobbin's is really sharp. A fine looking station that doesn't shout "STATION".

Edited by - railman28 on 06/05/2016 12:47:16 AM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  10:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful models Mike'. Sounds like a very interesting meeting you had'..Timing is everything in life, and looks like you hit just right'..

1/4 G 48 :<)

OK Hogger
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/04/2016 :  11:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some mighty nice work in this thread. Good job, Mike!

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  12:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, Ted and Andre, Thank you.

Bob, most of the WV Central depots looked like houses, which many were in a way because the agent and family lived in them. I have seen a charming photo where washing is hanging out on a clothesline strung over part of the large platform.

Here's the third and last model I took to the commission meeting. I built it about twenty years ago and it's showing some wear and tear, especially to the shingle roof. It's been carried with a set of modules and shows the effects of transportation and handling, as well as spending time in our club, which is in a somewhat humid basement.

This represents a type of vernacular house found through Pennsylvania, WV and the midwest, a so-called "I-house" with a two story front and a one or two-story ell. The model is based on a prototype structure. It was built to set into scenery so much of the foundation in the back of the house would not actually show. It was once attached to one of our modules, since discarded, and now is looking for a home.

Like all old structures it needs a little renovation.

Mike

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great models (and it might be a really interesting job to sit on a state Historical Commission.) But I wonder about hanging your laundry so close to the tracks, a passing train might well rain soot, ashes and even sparks on your unmentionables! (The tenements behind my coaling dock will eventually have some clotheslines/laundry, those poor people won't have very clean clothes.)

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 06/05/2016 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thank you.

I guess if you lived there you didn't have much choice. And the station agent would know the timetable and times of extras and could plan accordingly if traîns were infrequent.

Mike

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  12:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
With the Indianapolis NMRA convention in the rear view mirror, the question on my return was which way to head? Once again, I am faced with several projects in progress, including car shop, general store, boxcar, and a wagon factory. The car shop is pretty far along and the next step was installing the machines. Over the past week I have been working on the drive line, including pulleys, shifters, and brackets, filing off mold parting lines, then into the blackening solution, followed by buffing.

I also arranged the machines using the Sierra shop as a guide, figuring out which pulleys and shifters are needed, which I show here as the little groups of parts. The next step will be to build the wood supports for the drive line and counter shafts.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  1:01:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh! This is going to be fun to watch.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  4:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you. I hope it's fun for all concerned. Being new territory for me I've been researching other projects on the forum, including yours of several years ago. They will all be a lot of help.

I do have the feeling that I am presenting yet another machine shop construction thread because so many have been done. But some have been in HO, others in O, with different sources for the machines and details.

In any case this model is central to major changes I plan to make to my layout.

Mike

Guff
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  4:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike,
Wonderful work on the buildings you presented for the commission meeting. I really like the vernacular house found in Pennsylvania. I be following your progress on the machine shop.
Excellent work!
Dave

Page: of 46 Previous Topic: Boy, Isnt She Stacked! Topic Next Topic: Anyone get anything from Santa?  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000