Railroad Line Forums - Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 95 ]  [ Total: 99 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley
Page: of 56

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  4:51:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's quite a wagon complex, including their own rolling mill. Are the slots for those roof support beams cut into the ends, or do you have to cut those yourself? I like your "nut pockets"!

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  5:07:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The slots are already cut in the ends. One of the best ways I've seen to ensure a strong no-sag roof.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  6:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's is a superior looking kit. you're doing a good job building it.

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  7:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for fun, I looked at the area around the wagon works using Apple maps:

That roundhouse looks like it's where the NYC/Southern Central junction was.

Got any street pictures of that?

dave

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  7:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Yes, I've seen street photos of the roundhouse, I think on Flikr. That whole area was rebuilt in the 1890's and thereafter after the LVRR took complete control of the Southern Central. A large depot was built as well as the roundhouse and other buildings. Then the 1960's and 70's came with urban renewal, including that highway you see which occupies what was the interchange with the NYC.

That all postdates the period I model so I have not bookmarked the photos I found. Just to the northeast is a prison which in some aerial photos is blurred out.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/01/2015 :  8:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

That's is a superior looking kit. you're doing a good job building it.

Thank you Bob.!

Mike

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  10:38:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Now is the time to add weight. Some time ago I bought a box of nuts to use for this purpose. A couple of these weighs about right for most cars. I build little pockets to hold them in place.

I had installed the truss rods already so the weights would not be in the way.

Mike

What size nuts are you using, and what do they weigh each?

Horse

CavalryTrooper25
Crew Chief

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  10:41:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Apple maps is great to put things into context with the terrain. Granted, the things that existed during the era we model, vs what is there now is not always the same, but you can at least get some idea.

Horse

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  5:56:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I made some good progress on my Bitter Creek kit, which is a pure pleasure to build.

Of course, I had to diverge from the instructions:
- Material supplied for truss rods looked a little thicker than I have usually used, making it harder to thread it through the turnbuckles. I substituted line I had leftover from another kit.
- I really like the method used for the roofwalk supports with slots in the roofing sheet. This precludes the need to taper the supports to match the roof angle. However, I measured the supports on the plans of the Michigan Central car I was following and discovered that the kit-supplied supports held the running board too high, so I substituted short lengths of 2 by 4 stripwood.

One detail that impresses me is the kit includes the grap at each end of the roof; this is left off many kits, yet it adds detail is a prominent area of a boxcar.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  7:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks good Mike. Did they provide a hole for the grab iron and the Niwot casting above it?

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  7:11:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,

Thank you. Yes, all the holes were provided, four per grab. All I had to do was deepen them with a no. 77 drill.

Mike

railman28
Fireman

Posted - 11/04/2015 :  10:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is nice. No having to line up a jig. I always have trouble with adding those n/w over the grab iron usually the wood colaspes and I have a ugly hole too large for the needs.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  07:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob, yes, much easier. Also, the hardness of the wood is nice to work with.

I forgot to mention another modification I made. The kit calls for a simple fascia that conforms with the roof profile. I wanted the two-layer fascia so used some stripwood to build it up, although there's hardly enough overlap of the roof to accommodate the extra thickness.

Mike

masonamerican
Fireman

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  3:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks great Mike. I'm happy to hear that you like the kit.

Hkan

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 11/11/2015 :  11:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I finished construction of my Bitter Creek kit, making a few changes following a photo of a Michigan Central Blue Line car and a plan for similar Michigan Central car in a late 1800's railroad journal:

In addition to ones I list above, modifications to the kit include: different door hardware--I see that I still need to trim the lower door guide supports--scratchbuilt deadblocks on the ends; a ratchet and pawl on the roof for the brakewheel; and 30" end grabs.

I plan to use the Clover House dry transfers for a Michigan Central Canada Southern Line boxcar, although I'm not sure when that style of lettering started to be used. I'm not finding many photos of MCRR cars on the internet.

Mike

Page: of 56 Topic Next Topic: The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000