Railroad Line Forums - MER Convention Photos
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 237 ]  [ Total: 239 ]  [ Newest Member: phottenstein@cox.net ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 MER Convention Photos
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Monday Morning Coffee Topic Next Topic: Sunday Morning Lounge
Page: of 3

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  5:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought that I would get started on sharing some photo from the MER (Mid-Eastern Region of the NMRA) Convention in Hagerstown, MD.

Bonnie and I visited four private layouts during the convention.

Let me start with a photo or two of a basement-filling S/Sn3 layout by Roy Hoffman called the Penn Western. It has Philadelphia on one end and The Harrisburg, PA area on the other end. The EBT is represented in Sn3. The backdrop is hand painted by Roy and is quite impressive.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  5:53:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a view of downtown Philly on Roy's layout. In S-Scale, those buildings are quite large.

BTW, most of Roy's track is hand laid Code 100.

Roy's layout was featured in the October 2004 issue of MR.

Download Attachment: HoffmanPenWestern4Philly.jpg
88 KB

I will share more pictures from Roy's layout, but first let me show you a peak at a second layout.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  6:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The second layout that we visited is a basement empire in the making. the ceilings in the basement were at least 10' high.

This is the setting for Dave Sullivan's HO Scale Allegheny Corridor Railway. Dave is hand laying all tracks and turnouts using Code 70 for the main and Code 55 for sidings and spurs.

Here is an overview showing most of the benchwork, but not all...

More pictures of both of these layouts and more later. Now we have to leave to go to the Awards Banquet.

Bruce

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2014 :  9:55:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking and sharing this pictures Bruce! The Allegheny Corridor Railway looks huge! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Mark

deemery
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  10:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clint Hyde and I (with guest appearance by judging expert Martin Brechbiel) ran a clinic where we started with a Bar Mills laser-cut kit, changing and adding stuff to reach the threshold for an NMRA judging Merit Award. One kit was submitted for judging and achieved that objective.
Here's 3 of the kits. My test build (judged and barely achieved a Merit Award in April) is on the left, the kit that was submitted is on the right. The kit in the center hopefully will show up at the next convention after a bit more work.

It was good to talk to some forum buddies in between working on this clinic.

dave
p.s. the sign on my kit finally fell off as we passed it around for people to look at as they built their versions.

Modeling 1890s (because the voices in my head told me to)

Edited by - deemery on 10/19/2014 10:58:19 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  3:43:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for jumping in, Dave. I think that your hands-on clinic was a great idea and was well-received. It was good talking to you.

If any other attendees have photos or updates to the convention, please jump right in!

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  3:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I continue with layout tour photos, let me share some photos from the Contest Room.

Members of the Forum were well-represented, so I will start with those.

There were three structures entered from members of the RR-L Forums.

Joe Calderone (dnhman) had his HO Scale Sokols building.

Joe received a Merit Award for his model.

Bruce (Steam Nut) had this neat HO Scale station with removable roof and interior decoration.

Martin Brechbiel (mwbpequod) had this O-Scale corn crib.

I know that the Corn Crib won an award, but I didn't have a pen and paper with me at the Awards Banquet to take notes.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  4:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now for rolling stock.

Martin Brechbiel (mwbpequod) had a number of O-Scale models entered, all of which he has presented here on the Forum.

Here is his Traction entry:

His Drover's Caboose:

A tank car:

Pulpwood Cars:

I believe that all these models won Merit Awards and/or special awards.

I brought two scratch built cars that had build threads here on the Forum.

The first is this HOn3 Logging/Work Caboose.

The second was this HO scale combine.

Both of those earned Merit Awards.

There was also a category in the Popular Vote section called "Favorite Train".

I brought his HOn3 logging train. Those of you who venture into the HOn30/HOn3 Forum have see this brass Forney and all the cars. Bruce (Steam Nut) did the great painting job on the Forney.

A large photo showing the entire train:

Download Attachment:
FavoriteTrain2Large.jpg

77.37 KB

My entry won the popular vote. I credit the 'cute factor' that HOn3 possesses.

I think that covers all the models entered by RR-L members. I will post more contest room photos after I take a break from resizing photos and go feed the animals.

Bruce

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  4:14:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are Bruce's awards, and one is missing since he tied for first place in the caboose category.

As you can see from the plaques, he won the award for the best weathered and detailed piece of rolling stock. I don't know which of his two cars won the award. He also won the Narrow Gauge award for the best piece of narrow gauge equipment, but again I don't know which car it was for.

George

Fly Army

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  4:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
George, I didn't know that you took that picture.

Anyway, the HOn3 Logging/Work Caboose took both the Bud Keyser and the Ray Bilodeau Award.

It earned a score of 107 points and tied for first place in the caboose category.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  4:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This HO scale B&M Caboose was the other caboose that tied for first place. A nice model indeed.

This was another nice HOn3 entry - a MOW boxcar. (I'm sorry for how dark the picture is. For the most part, the lighting in the contest room was good, but this area was not as well lit, and the car was very heavily weathered.)

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  5:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are three steam locos that were entered in the contest. I think that the G.N.S.N. loco was N-Scale and the others were HO.

Bruce

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  5:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Martin Brechbiel (mwbpequod) had this O-Scale corn crib.

I know that the Corn Crib won an award, but I didn't have a pen and paper with me at the Awards Banquet to take notes.

That corn crib was for Off-Line Structure. It was just something I felt like building once upon a time,

As you noted, everything I brought got some award: 4 Merit Awards, Pride of Dixie Award, Great Decals! Award, and President's Award.

Seriously embarrassing,

The structure from the clinic that Dave related also squeaked out a Merit Award!!!

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  5:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This coal breaker was an impressive model. (HO Scale)

I had seen it at the Cleveland NMRA National Convention in July, but it was entered as 'Display Only' then. Since then the modeler had completed it to his satisfaction and had it for judging. Martin can verify, but I believe that it took Best In Show this time.

I got a few better pictures back in July, and here they are:

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  5:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, back to layouts.

I showed you Dave Sullivan's HO Scale Allegheny Corridor Railway benchwork and basement. He also had some structures that he had scratch built for a previous layout.

This scratch built coal breaker will give you a good idea of his work, and why I would love to see this layout again in a few years.

Bruce

mwbpequod
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2014 :  6:25:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

This coal breaker was an impressive model. (HO Scale)

I had seen it at the Cleveland NMRA National Convention in July, but it was entered as 'Display Only' then. Since then the modeler had completed it to his satisfaction and had it for judging. Martin can verify, but I believe that it took Best In Show this time.

Yes. Best in Show (Judged Model) and well as Favorite Model (Popular Vote).

Really nice model that scored 113 points.

In a time like ours seemings and portents signify. Ours is a generation when dogs howl and the skin crawls on the skull with its beast's foreboding.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Monday Morning Coffee Topic Next Topic: Sunday Morning Lounge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000