Railroad Line Forums - D&RG 36í standard gauge boxcar F-Scale
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Midwest Mark ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 D&RG 36í standard gauge boxcar F-Scale
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: UK Country House Build (final pics) Topic Next Topic: Sellios Pier
Page: of 4

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  2:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Iíve started another boxcar, but this time itís a kit and not as BIG as my last boxcar build. The POW boxcar is on hold until after the National Narrow Gauge Convention in Kansas City in September. This is a D&RG 36í 62,000 series model of a standard gauge boxcar. The kit which is made of laser cut wood parts, exquisite white metal castings and custom made brass parts. The kit is made by David Queener of Cumberland Model Engineering and is very impressive.

There are 4 - 24Ē x 36Ē sheets of detailed full size drawings, 6 Ė sheets of actual blueprints and 1 sheet of 4 photos of actual cars.

This is a shot of the parts laid out on the plans.

This is 1-set of parts for the side framing, the outside sheathing, the end sheathing and the door parts.

This is the inside sheathing, roof trusses, end beams and inner and outer sills.

This is the truck kit.

Some of the beautiful castings and custom made parts. If youíre wondering why there are 4 airlines and 2 brake cylinders etc., well thatís because I have 2 kits and I didnít separate the parts.

The completed frame.

The completed 3mm thick plywood side framing and pre-scribed floor.

And the compulsory comparison photo with an HO-Scale 40í boxcar.

This Standard gauge F-Scale car is big (measuring 22-1/4Ē over the end buffers) but certainly nowhere as big as my scratch-built WWII G-10 GermanPOW boxcar sitting on a B&D Work Mate.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  3:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, that's big. F scale sure would be a lot easier on these old eyes.

I'll be watching with interest.

George

hokie_tech
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  4:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sucker is big. I went to the Cumberland model website. Lots of good info there. Seem like some really dedicated people.

Bill

Nelson458
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  5:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nelson458's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, Frank, I had no idea you had such big plans. Looks very good. I gave the site a wander around too. Impressive. Any plans on an F scale sternwheeler?

Tony

Tony Burgess
Exploring the unknown requires tolerating uncertainty.~ Brian Greene

brownbr
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  8:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That thing is huge, and it looks good too.

Bryan

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  8:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another small project. Aren't you about out of room down there?

Nice job so far Frank.

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  8:56:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank,
I will be following along. Too bad you did not have an n scale car for the photo to show some real size difference. You may have to add a room to the house.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  9:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go big or go home. Right?

Wait. You're home already.

Never mind.

As you think, so will you be.

robert goslin
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  10:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank, it looks like another fine build coming up, and you're off to a great start.
And yes that is huge, especially through my N scale eyes.

Regards Rob

Despite the cost of living, it's still popular.

Carl B
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  12:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Carl B's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey, what's this? Is that car going where I think it is?

With you all to the Narrow Gauge Convention?

I like it, at least something is getting built!

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  09:40:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
George, thanks and as many of my smaller scale friends have done is get stronger glasses.

Thanks Bill, I know David Queener is dedicated.

Tony, when we were considering building another F scale layout with a maritime theme I was eyeballing this one.

Bryan, itís big but when youíve been working with F scale since 1993 itís not that big.

Jerry, we're ripping up some old scenery and track so we can put this in.

Larry, Iím going to include another pic of an N scale and a F scale narrow gauge boxcar.

Rick, Iíve been hanging around with Dave way too long. There should be an experation date for that sort of thing.

Bob, thanks for checking in.

Carl, we are converting one of the sidings to duel gauge to show the comparison of standard to narrow gauge. Since a lot of visitors just canít relate to the NG idea.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/17/2014 09:45:13 AM

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  7:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The next 2 shots are a comparison with the standard gauge car to one of my narrow gauge cars.

Just for giggles this is the comparison with an N Scale stock car. Hummmmm.

Today I worked on making groves on the outside of the framing for the simulated support rods that connect the outer bottom sill with the outer top beam. I cut the groves with a sandwich of 2 heavy duty Dremel cut-off wheels to get the right width being very careful not to cut through the framing.

When viewed from the inside it should look like the rods run from top to bottom.

I also built the main portion of the trucks. Later Iíll add the brake beams and other details.

Edited by - Frank Palmer on 07/17/2014 7:29:46 PM

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  9:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice real nice!!!

Jerry

"And in the end, itís not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mike Engler
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  10:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice kit and some nice modeling. Hope it will make the trip to Kansas City.

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  10:15:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jerry Ė thanks.

Mike Ė the real question is will we have the dual gauge section finished by KC. See you there.

TRAINS1941
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/24/2014 :  2:18:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frank what happen you run out of glue???

Five weeks and your suppose to be up and running!!!

Jerry

Page: of 4 Previous Topic: UK Country House Build (final pics) Topic Next Topic: Sellios Pier  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000