Railroad Line Forums - Traction Critters (for the cork board challenge)
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 105 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Traction Critters (for the cork board challenge)
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Looking for a loco shell Topic Next Topic: plaster cloth
Page: of 3

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  9:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Greetings all!

Since I've commited myself to the 2'x3' cork board challenge, and so far have done nothing, I thought I'd start with a pair of electric locomotives to get things rolling. I've always liked industrial traction narrow gauge and decided this the project to take the plunge. The scale is On30 and they're built of styrene so far.

No. 1

Built on a Bachmann 44t truck, will be a freelance industrial critter with a trolly-pole. I may make this into a tiny boxcab or some kind of open cab thing. A boxcab would help with hiding some extra weight...

No. 2

A bit further along boxcab, very much influenced by the work I've been seeing on RRL. The mechanism is a Grandt Line GE 25t endcab (with the whole body complete, painted and weathered under the superstructure). The journal boxes are from a Jordan Mack kit. I've got the body taped together to check proportions, what does everyone think? The side walls are 6'3" tall.

I think I will use trolly poles for my line (because I think they'd be easier to scratchbuild than pantographs). I haven't thought much about colour or details yet. Just getting some ideas moving...

More soon, probably.

-Cody

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  10:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Cody, looking forwaerd to this critter build.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/15/2014 :  11:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cody,

Looks very interesting ....

Tom M.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  01:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gentlemen, this is a fun project so far!

I've got the windows and doors cut out as well as the four walls glued together (the corner bracing will be trimmed to fit a roof). The windows are Grandt Line caboose cupola windows, and the doorways will remain open (my plan is for this to run on a tropical island railway). You can see the hood of the original GL GE 25t diesel protruding into the interior (yellow bit), this will be disguised as part of the controls. Since the doors are open there will have to be a little interior detailing to do. I like it so far.

More soon,

-Cody

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  07:19:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Cody,

Really like the proportions of the boxcab. Looking forward to seeing this come along.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  08:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Cody,
Interesting proportions on that figure! Nice start to this little creation.
I was looking at one of your old threads as I'm going to be starting a build of one of the KB Scale Deutz kits (O14) soon. Did you ever end up finishing that little industrial loco you started a few years back now?

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  08:33:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work Cody. Love those little industrial engines, especially the trolley type. I've got one planned in HOn30.

I have a couple of those 44 tonner motorized trucks. Might just a side project with one of those in On30.

Looking forward to this model finished.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 07/16/2014 08:41:31 AM

Geezer
Engineer

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  09:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea & nice start Cody.....

visman48
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  09:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit visman48's Homepage  Click to see visman48's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cody,
Nice work, and the imagineering is super. I did alot of small critter work in my early On30 days, Styrene is a great choice in building materials, and the ability to add details and paint. I will be watching, so powered track and powered overhead? Most cool.

Les

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  09:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good stuff Cody.

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  4:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gents!

Some work has been done on Boxcab No. 2, I've added some interior bracing and some external trim. I'll be adding a few more details before I send it off to the paint shop, (a couple ladders, some corner braces and maybe some vents). Boxcab No. 1 will hopefully get a body started today. Pics to follow!

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  4:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danpickard

Hi Cody,
Interesting proportions on that figure! Nice start to this little creation.
I was looking at one of your old threads as I'm going to be starting a build of one of the KB Scale Deutz kits (O14) soon. Did you ever end up finishing that little industrial loco you started a few years back now?

Cheers,
Dan Pickard

Hi Dan, I've not really progressed on that build for a few years now. I unpack it every once and a while but seem to have hit a wall with it. Mostly I'm not looking forward to bending the roof etch, I had trouble with the hood and now everything is a bit crooked. I was thinking of scratching an open cab for it just to avoid that step. I've also been thinking of re-gauging it to 16.5mm...

Let us know how your build goes, they are really nice little engines.

-Cody

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  6:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a post it sketch of an idea for No. 1:

It's pretty rough but it gives me the basic proportions. Will be cutting parts soon!

-Cody

BTW: No powered overhead for me just yet, these are all straight DC. No need to over complicate things when there's a deadline...

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  7:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep focused and you will reach the prize!

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 07/16/2014 :  10:28:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I started the superstructure for No. 1 today according to the sketch I posted earlier. The side walls are framed with HO scale 6x6s and will eventually be sheathed with shim brass (something I always wanted to try). The aluminium tube will be the base for the trolly pole, and also allows access to the screw that holds the mechanism in place. It's probably not prototypical, but I'm okay with that. I also added a bit of backhead detail, which I have no idea what looks like on an electric engine, but it makes it so there is something there.

No. 2 also got some trim and a few small details. The two bits near the back are runners for a ladder. It still needs some interior detail but is looking good.

That's it for tonight, time for a bourbon and a snooze. Job hunting tomorrow!

-Cody

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 07/17/2014 :  12:01:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cody, great looking locos. Is that Grandt Line boxcab kit #7089 and does it come powered? Very creative build, following along and taking notes.

Cheers, Heath.

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Looking for a loco shell Topic Next Topic: plaster cloth  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000