Railroad Line Forums - New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: neiler ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Blackstone K28 & K36 Topic Next Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle
Page: of 8

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sir Bernd', that is EXCELLENT PROGRESS'
I like the new elevation. And the tiles look good too. Is that Luann I see on that wall'.
Nice work Bernd'.

Ted

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those electrics blew their tops working hard hauling all that ore :)
The ceiling tiles look good for the limestone. One thought - for a little visual interest maybe introduce a slight upward bow at some point along the tiles, or if that's not practical because the tile strips won't flex (maybe if wet?), then think about slightly raising one end of the rock face so that the strata don't run exactly parallel to the railhead. It would only take a little angle.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  09:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes Ted I'm making progress. Now if only the other half would quit giving me a "honey do" list.

Bill,

Thanks for stopping in.

No the ceiling tile doesn't bend very well dry. You have a good point about getting them wet, maybe just damp. Will have to experiment. I do like the idea of giving it an angle. Great point. Would have never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. Kind of glad I didn't glue them down yet. I think longer strips might be a good idea too. Time to experiment.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  09:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tillerman1

The extension would add a lot of operating interest, so I vote for keeping it. But didn't you say the backdrop will be curved in that corner? Or maybe I misunderstood. Either way, you might consider curving the new spur forward a little bit to break up the straight track.

I also like the rock face behind the track. The ceiling tile approach has a lot of promise.

John

Hi John. Thanks for stopping in to take a look. Much appreciated.

Lets see if I can clear things up a bit. The extension stays. The curved backdrop would go to the left of the electric engines and curve around the corner. The area in front of the engines is still up to design changes. I just put the train there for a visual of how it would look with the ceiling tile.

Here's a hand draw diagram of what that part of the layout will hopefully look like. I have sort of a track plan in mind. Not enough to actually draw it on paper and follow it.

The area marked in red is reserved for 2 square feet of hidden staging. One item will be the quarry railroad that will run to the quarry off stage to retrieve large blocks of limestone that will then go to the stone cutting plant. Perhaps another off layout staging area. Also the HOn3 coal and lumber railroad will run along the wall to the right. The whole area in red will hold two hoppers. One with coal and another with crushed limestone rock. A conveyor will run out from the scenery to the left to fill the stone bunker. I plan on animating loading crushed limestone into HOn2 cars to be delivered to a transfer point where it will be transferred to standard gauge hoppers. The HOn3 coal mine will also be animated to load coal into cars to be taken to a transfer facility for loading into standard gauge hoppers. That's the concept of this part of the layout. I hope that clears things up. If not ask away and I'll try to explain better.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 12/18/2017 09:19:48 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  3:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just spent some time searching the net for limestone quarry pictures. I was surprised to find that there was very little upheaval of the limestone. Here's a few links to pictures of limestone quarries.

https://limestonecountry.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/empire-quarry1.jpg

http://neiswongerconstruction.com/techready/2016/05/Maggie-Lynn-New-6.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2499/3893699902_cfb09a6a20_z.jpg

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/pnp/highsm/09400/09402v.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/83/de/bd/83debd7e9cc8ce9c4ce135b734f310b7.jpg

http://www.cciwi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/cci_quarry_4.jpg

Perhaps I'll put a very slight angle to a section and see what it'll look like.

Bernd

Pennman
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  5:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been following your progress Bernd. Just a silent admirer! Outstanding work.

Rich

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  8:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the new diagram - all makes sense. Interesting quarry pictures too. You are inspiring me to get back to my layout. Keep it up!

John

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  7:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been doing some experimentation with the ceiling tiles.

This one pictured here I finally did some more work on the face. You'll see what I did in the next picture.

Today I tried a technique that Bill Gill mentioned earlier about wetting the ceiling tile. I tried this with about 2 foot long sections. I piled them up loose and sprayed them with water until they were soaked real good. Some weights on one end, a couple of pieces of ceiling tile under another part and the weight of the ceiling tile itself sagged after being wetted down good.

I was amazed how fast it soaked up the water and bent. Now it needs to dry. In the background is the ceiling tile I did a few weeks ago. On the left side I used Durham Water Putty and on the right I used a product called "Hydraulic & Anchoring Cement". I wasn't satisfied with cement. It covered the tile striations and it didn't color well. The Durham Putty worked pretty good. I think I'll be using that for the final wall.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 02/06/2018 7:54:55 PM

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  09:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, that bent tile looks like limestone strata, and depending on how you finish it, it can look like a lot of other rock a well, neat!

Edited by - Bill Gill on 02/07/2018 09:36:05 AM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  7:06:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Bernd, that bent tile looks like limestone strata, and depending on how you finish it, it can look like a lot of other rock a well, neat!

Wetting it down works great. I did discover though as it dries it cracks at the sharper bend. Have to handle them carefully afterwards or they'll break. They become a bit brittle once dry. These are just test samples. Haven't nailed it down to a process yet.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  11:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the one nice thing about having several modeling projects going at once. You get to pick and choose which interests you at the particular moment. Right now I've got three projects I've been working on. 1.) working on a battery powered Radio Controlled F7 A-B-A plus remotoring the B unit 2.) the Build Challenge and 3.) working on the quarry line layout segment.

Today the quarry line got worked on.

I glued a partial assembly of striation example to the backboard. I think I'll be using it. The piece of scenery to the right is where the view block will go to hide a container that will hold parakeet gravel. It's close to the color of quarried limestone. I had used this many moons a go on a 4 X 8 table layout when I lived home.

I also laid out the track using pieces of cork. The line runs to the wall in back and will be staging for large chunks of rock that will be sent to the stone cutting plant for use in buildings, sidewalk curbs and such. The line that curves to the right will be the main line heading to the transfer point with the standard gauge line. The small stub will have a quarrying operation with cranes lifting sheets of granite onto cars. This is just a rough layout. Things could change.

Bernd

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  5:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NICE TO SEE SOME additional PROGRESS BERND'...Keep it up'.........

Ted

acousticco
Fireman

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  9:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit acousticco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is looking great Bernd, I'll be following along

-Cody

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  8:39:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ted, Cody thanks.

I got the long cut/wall done today and put the first coat of color on it. I mixed up some "parchment" color acrylic paint with some water and Durham Water putty and had at it. This gives me a base color.

Here's the basic tools. A box cutter, hacksaw and a stiff wire brush.

I use the knife first to cut some striations.

Next I used the saw blade to make some wider cuts.

Then I rough it up with the wire brush till I get the texture I like.

Here's a piece I did a little more work on.

I then glue them up to form a wall. The ones glued to the back drop are cut about 1.5" wide. The wall was a piece 2" wide and the back side was textured and then glued to the Styrofoam edge to form the wall.

I then slopped on some base paint. Working on finishing up the "heaved" part of the backdrop wall. I'll need to wet the pieces so they bend easier.

Until next time. Thanks for stopping in.

Bernd

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2018 :  07:26:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, You rock! :)

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Blackstone K28 & K36 Topic Next Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000