Railroad Line Forums - New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 111 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle Topic Next Topic: North Coast Railroad
Page: of 9

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  3:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was looking over the last two pictures I posted. I need to cover that wall before I go any further. Nothing like doing things bass akwards, layout first - wall finishing last. Going to have to wait for the weather to break before I can go to the local home horror store for some supplies. Thinking of using either 1/4" plywood or 1/8" under floor laminate. What's the youse guys consensus?

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  3:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I used masonite and was able to bend it around the corners fairly easily. No
seams in the middle of the sky that way.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

Edited by - David J Buchholz on 12/14/2017 4:12:44 PM

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  6:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David J Buchholz

I used masonite and was able to bend it around the corners fairly easily. No
seams in the middle of the sky that way.

I thinking of using Trackside Scenery's photo back drop. So not to worried about bending in this particular section. Good point to remember though.

Bernd

David J Buchholz
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  7:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Send David J Buchholz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Still need to mount the picture to something.

Home of the North Coast Railroad.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  7:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, 1/8 or 1/4 Luann plywood, will work fine and stand up to mounting the backdrop easily and working on the layout. Cheap, easy to cut and work with..My base o my layout is 1/4" luann. works great for drilling to add wireing, etc.

Ted

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2017 :  8:32:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lauan has enough grain to be visible through one coat of paint (look close at my layout). 1/8" hardboard (masonite) will bend to maybe 15" radius without wetting.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  08:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I do need to cover the wall with some kind of material. I just don't relish the job of using drywall. Since I won't be using the wall proper for a back drop I might use a backer of Masonite attached to the back of the layout. I don't plan on bending it around the corner on the right when facing the layout. That corner will stay at 90. The one to the left will get a rounded corner.

Thanks guys for all the discussion on what to use. It's helped talking about. I now know how to proceed.

Bernd

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 12/15/2017 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, best of luck with your project'..

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/16/2017 :  4:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

Bernd, best of luck with your project'..

Thanks Ted. ..

It was 3:00 this morning, couldn't sleep, wide awake and the wife was already at work. What to do? Oh, I know. Work on the wall. I got two 4 X 8 sheets nailed to the wall.

And the first train coming out of the to-be staging for moving large blocks of limestone to be taken to the stone cutting factory.

Yup, that's the Wilani Lumber Companies twin diesel's the quarry bought when the company closed it's doors. (RIP Geezer)

While I was putting up the sheets of laminate I came to the conclusion that I could use one piece of Masonite about two to three feet high and eight feet long for a sky backdrop. This way I don't have to paint the wall. I can remove the backdrop if and when I want to.

I might finally have a layout running. Ya.

Bernd

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  08:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Bernd.

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  09:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking great! It will be fun to see how this shapes up.

-John

Frank Palmer
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  09:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Frank Palmer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd, great looking boxcabs. You're heading in the right direction now.

Michael Hohn
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  10:18:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Hohn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bernd,

Sometimes those 3:00 am wakeful episodes can be very productive. Looking good.

Mike

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Nobody living can ever stop me, as I go walking that freedom highway -- Woody Guthrie

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  3:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for stopping in and checking things out.

I decided that the line was to high. I need to get to the table top level in a short distance on the uncompleted part to the left. So I removed one layer and proceeded to glue down the first layer with construction adhesive. While gluing down the pieces the mind wandered away for a while and came back with an idea. How about extending the track to the left to an open pit where pieces of larger limestone will be quarried. Something like this Vermont Granite Quarry Museum picture.

And while I was at it I wanted to see what a wall of limestone would look like. These are pieces of ceiling tile dry stacked for now. Close up shot.

Over all view.

Did you ever notice after you take a picture and post it that there are mistakes in it? The roofs of the electric's aren't down. I hate when that happens.

Bernd

tillerman1
New Hire

Posted - 12/17/2017 :  5:59:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit tillerman1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The extension would add a lot of operating interest, so I vote for keeping it. But didn't you say the backdrop will be curved in that corner? Or maybe I misunderstood. Either way, you might consider curving the new spur forward a little bit to break up the straight track.

I also like the rock face behind the track. The ceiling tile approach has a lot of promise.

John

Page: of 9 Previous Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle Topic Next Topic: North Coast Railroad  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000