Railroad Line Forums - New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 121 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: biomed ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Blackstone K28 & K36 Topic Next Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle
Page: of 8

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  4:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Just found this thread. That's quite a way to move into HOn3! I'll be following along. There's the edge of a granite quarry on one corner of my home layout. It's just a short stub through a rock cut, next to an abandoned quarry pit that flooded. Enough room to park a couple loads to pick up. Yours has a lot going for it and that doesn't even start to look at the coal mine!.

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, You have several projects going on. But this is the one that I
would like to see come to fruition before Spring gets here' I wish I
lived closer as I would be there to assist you with some of the grunt work!

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  8:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill,

I figured I put it out in public so a guy like Ted can keep an eye on me to make sure I make some progress.

The idea came from the quarry near Leroy. Used to do a lot of railfanning in that area. With the Lehigh Valley running through to the north and having a loading facility there made for an excellent modeling idea. Plus the fact I like little critters of the narrow gauge kind it all fit's in. The quarry originally had a 3 foot gauge line servicing the large quarry. It even has one of the Marion steam shovels that dug the Panama Canal.

Here's a picture of the shovel, one car and the little engine. The engine now resides in Central Square near Syracuse, New York.

The coal mine inspiration came from the East Broad Top. That will be covered in another thread when I get to the portion of the layout.

Ted, that be great if you wanted to help. I'd have you work on the wife's honey do list while I modeled.

Bernd

A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Edited by - Bernd on 01/04/2015 8:17:07 PM

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  8:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, whatever works as long as this LAYOUT GETS BUILT'''''.......lol

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  7:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I needed a break from the building of four boxcabs so I decided to work on the next item on the list for the HOn30 Quarry Line, The Rock Bunker. Shown here in a satellite picture. If I remember right there where six concrete bunkers.

So I started on designing the bunkers. I'm going to animate them to actually fill cars which will be taken to a dumper on the standard gauge line and dumped into standard gauge hoppers.

In order to hold the mechanism for the sliding door where the rocks come out I made that part of the structure out of a piece of 2" copper pipe, a brass rolled cone, a piece of 2" mailing tube and a flat board. Here are the ingredients for one bunker.

The tapered discharge chute needs a ledge to sit on so it's level when the bunker is stood up. A thin slice of copper tubing split will do the trick.

That gets placed in the tube to get marked where to cut a section out so it fits in. Note the overlap at the bottom of the copper ring.

Once cut the ring is tested to see if it fits. Notice the tiny gap at the bottom.

Once satisfied with the fit and making sure it is even with the end, it is solder in. I use a small butane torch for this work.

Next we turn our attention to making the cone. I found a program on the net that helps solve the problem of getting the right dimensions. I hope it never disappears from the net. http://craig-russell.co.uk/demos/cone_calculator/

And I came up with this. I drilled some holes in the sheet metal and stitched it together with some wire. The wire keeps it from unraveling and unsoldering when it gets soldered into the copper tube.

The cone is soldered into the copper tube. I make sure it is well seated on the ring I soldered in earlier and then solder it all together.

Here's where the mailing tube, 1/4" square wood strips and board come into the picture. I'm going to pour casting plaster around the outside of the copper tube to make the bunker look like real concrete.

The copper tube is first glued to the board with hot melt glue. The mailing tube is placed over that with the 1/4" square wood spacing the mailing tube the proper distance from the copper tube.

The casting plaster is then poured and with any luck the part will turn out like this.

I actually did the above picture several months ago to see if this procedure would work and it did. Once the plaster had dried for a day I removed the cardboard mailing tube. I then clamped the bunker in the lathe and turned the outside concentric with the copper tube. Why? All six bunkers need to be the same diameter so they are correctly spaced once the cars sit under the rock bunker. Things need to be aligned properly to pull off this project. The piece leaning up against the bunker will become the sliding door that will allow the rocks to flow from the bunker. I just hope it will work when I get to the point of having all six rock bunkers up on their structure.

More to come. It'll be slow but hopefully steady progress on this project.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 03/05/2017 09:28:31 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  8:01:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another well thought out build, Bernd!

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  9:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm following along with interest, Bernd. Thanks for sharing the earlier drawings and track diagrams.

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  9:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Another well thought out build, Bernd!

Thanks Bruce.

I've been planning this one for quite some time. I hope I can pull the animation part off.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  9:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Hamer

I'm following along with interest, Bernd. Thanks for sharing the earlier drawings and track diagrams.

Hi Mike. I hope I can present something of interest here in the animation department.

I won't be following those plans as posted since I'm going to make it all on one level. It just didn't make sense to build the rock bunker up on a ledge and going up hill with the cars to get the crushed rocks.

As I said progress will be at a snails pace. I'm trying all new techniques. Usually takes two or three tries before I get it to where it will work properly.

Bernd

quartergauger48
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/07/2015 :  10:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress Bernd. Will be following along with you as you continue to make additional progress...

Ted

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  8:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some additional progress for the day.

I poured the two remaining silos. So that makes three if these two come out like the first one. Here I used ACC with an accelerator to glue the copper pipes down. Hot glue didn't want to work for me this time. The mailing tubes were glued down with hot glue and a bead was used to seal around the tube.

And here's the messy part. Not much room to try to pour something that's thicker than pea soup into a 1/4" wide slot. I hope I have no air bubbles in these. I did tap the whole works on the table and it did burb once. I guess I'll find out tomorrow night.

Back to work on the boxcabs.

Bernd

Edited by - Bernd on 03/08/2015 8:09:45 PM

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  9:21:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a very interesting construction technique, Bernd. I'm looking forward to what you're going to do next.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  9:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks George.

I forgot to mention the plaster I'm using. I bought it at Micheal's. Here's a picture of when I was on the dark side (On30).

I was going to cast walls for an O scale engine house to put the On30 Critter in. It now resides on another railroad in another state.

Bernd

Bill Gill
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  07:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Neat technique for the silos. Have to check later to see how they came out.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 03/09/2015 :  08:07:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

Bernd, Neat technique for the silos. Have to check later to see how they came out.

Thanks Bill. I'm always trying to come up with some new techniques to build something, whether it be rolling stock, structures or other stuff. That's the fun part of the hobby to me.

Bernd

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Blackstone K28 & K36 Topic Next Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000