Railroad Line Forums - New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 109 ]  [ Total: 114 ]  [ Newest Member: 36Plyguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 HOn30 and HOn3 Forum
 New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy HOn30 Quarry Line
Next Page
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Blackstone K28 & K36 Topic Next Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle
Page: of 8

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  7:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will be the start of my limestone quarry thread in HOn30. Progress will probably be in spurts of activity now then. I have several other model related projects going on at the same time.
The limestone quarry will be part of a larger HO scale layout someday. Since the New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy is a coal hauling railroad included will be a mining operation will be a big feature on the line. Included will be a timber operation and possibly either a sand quarry or clay pit, haven't made a decision on that yet. The coal, timber and sand quarry or clay pit will be HOn3.

I'm using parts of what was to be my On30 bench work.

Here's a terrible picture of what was the beginning o the On30 layout. I was using 2' X 4' modules. That's standard gauge O scale on the left.

A wider view of what was to be.

A closer shot.

I was testing the incline with a Shay. Can't remember what the incline was.

The tear down of the On30

Cleaning off the glue and smoothing out the plywood.

All done.

Next installment will be the beginning of the 30" gauge quarry line

Bernd
A PESSIMIST sees a dark tunnel
An OPTIMIST sees light at the end of the tunnel
A REALIST sees a freight train
The LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER sees three idiots standing on the tracks

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  8:48:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like you are starting with a clean slate plywood surface, Bernd. I'll be following along.

ChrisS
Engine Wiper

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  9:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice start to what sounds like a really interesting project. I'll be following along.

jschumaker
Fireman

Posted - 07/07/2014 :  9:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be following this project, also.

Jeff S.

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/11/2014 :  10:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, so let us get started with the quarry line. I've named the line after a dear model railroad friend of mine. It's called the Cooledge Consolidated Crushed Rock Products, or 3 Rock Products. The idea evolved from developing what the main line would look like.

So I need to go a bit backwards and describe how the New York, Vermont & Northern Rwy. came to be. It was actually developed over a number of years from dreaming about that big layout I wanted to build. You can read about it here on my railroad website. http://frontiernet.net/~thecat/concept.htm I need to rewrite this concept someday but it will give you a general idea of what I'm trying to create.

Since I was using the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburg RR, absorbed by the B & O later and the Lehigh Valley railroads to develop a track plan from, the quarry line was a natural to add since it severed both railroads on the east side of Leroy, New York.

Here's a Google view of both railroads and about how the quarry was laid out.

Here's a closer view of where the hopper cars were loaded. (bottom, near left) Two tracks ran under the concrete silos to be filled. Don't have any idea when this picture was taken by Google. I do remember when the tracks ran under the silos.

In this picture it looks like this was part of a stone crushing structure or perhaps mixing plant. A lot of this equipment is missing parts, so it's hard to tell what it could have done.

This is the Lehigh Valley on the north side of the quarry. The almost white spot is where the loading of hopper cars took place.

Here's an interesting piece of equipment used in loading the quarry cars.

For more reading on what this is and what the transportation equipment looked like, go here:
http://frontiernet.net/~thecat/critters.htm

Scroll down to "Shovel1" to find out more.

So this is my inspiration to model a quarry on my railroad. The line used 36" railroad to transport the quarried limestone to the standard gauge Lehigh Valley and B,R, & P, later B&O. The picture shows the shovel, engine and quarry car used by the quarry line.
Since I haven't yet provided a link to the Central Square Museum link in my web site here's the link: http://www.cnynrhs.org/locos.html

If you got back to the "Critters" link on my website you can see two diesel engines used there. Also you'll see the loading bins somewhat in the background.

So this wraps up the concept of the quarry line and how it came to be. They may have used 36" gauge track, I'm using 30" gauge track since I had some HOn30 equipment already. I can use N scale power chassis' to build nice little HOn30 critters. There's one in the pipe line already. I'll need to do a thread on that when the quarry line gets to needing some more power.
Now that the quarry line has been developed, onward to actually building some bench work and laying some track. But first I need a layout plan.

There has always been a plan that I like a lot. By today's standard it would be something that would show up in Carl Arendt scrapbook and I think it actually did. It's Chuck Yungkurth Gumstump & Snowshoe RR. Only I modified it to fit my space.
The original on the Carl Arendt website. http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-38a-june-2005-special-edition/

A cleaned up version

One with all the lettering removed.

Flipped length wise.

A side by side comparison. The original is on the bottom.

So I have something that should work for representing the quarry line. I don't plan on actually modeling the quarrying of the limestone. I'll start with a bin holding the crushed limestone and where the cars will be loaded for shipment to the standard gauge railroad for loading into standard gauge hoppers.

Here are a series of pictures showing some of the hodge podge construction going on. I'm not quite following the track diagram in the upper right of the drawing. I'm still unsure of how many tracks to put up there. I started out with intentions of using Code 55 hand laid rail and scratch built turnouts. I gave up on the scratch build turnouts and went to Peco turnout and track. That was until I found it difficult to get Peco turnout, plus their track is Code 80 or 83. Not compatible with Code 55. So it's back to handlaid track and turnouts. Problem is I need to practice building turnouts. Not to good at those yet.

Here's what Chuck had recommended to build the upper portion.

And here's what I built.
The benchwork is two 2 feet by 4 feet modules. The original Gumstump & Snowshoe was designed for a 1 foot X 6 foot board and will be used for the limestone loading bin. The front foot will be used to develop a pit were blocks will be cut out and loaded on to flatcars or gondolas to transport the stone to either a stone cutting plant on the line or transferred to standard gauge and shipped to a stone cutting plant.

As you can see from the date stamp on the picture that it's been two years since I started this adventure. I'm using the previous 2' X 4' modules from the On30 layout.

One of the track arrangement design.

A second iteration of track design. Added a C cube as the company name. Track is Code 55 on PC ties.

A third iteration of track. Using Peco flex-track and turnouts. Not a happy camper with Peco. Kind of restricts you to hat you can buy. Doesn't allow for much flexibility in track layout design.

Here's my motive power so far, a diesel and one steamer. Both average runners. The white piece is an idea for a gondola or flat car.

I'm thinking about building a sort of HOn30 bath-tub-gondola to haul crushed limestone.

Wondering how small of a radius I could use on an 30" gauge line I built a test track using a railbender I had made. Those are PC ties with Code 55 track.

This was my original benchwork plan for building both the 30" gauge line and the 36" gauge line as presented here. That has changed and I need to draw up a new set of plans. I have some idea of how I want to layout the track but not clear enough to commit to paper and probably never will. Oh yea, the HOn3 line will be called the Otter Creek Falls R.R. Co.

That's where the 30" line stands as of today. So it looks like I haven't done much in the way of benchwork in the last two years. I'm hoping starting a thread will help push me along at pace a little faster than a snail.

Until next time something happens.

Bernd

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, you have an interesting layout plan. I've been fascinated with the Gum Stump & Snowshoe for many years, but I've only seen one example of it. Your's is going to be fun to follow.

I've played around with hand laying turnouts. Mine are functional, but I still need to work on making them look better - practice, practice, practice.

George

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  4:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Bernd, you have an interesting layout plan. I've been fascinated with the Gum Stump & Snowshoe for many years, but I've only seen one example of it. Your's is going to be fun to follow.

I've played around with hand laying turnouts. Mine are functional, but I still need to work on making them look better - practice, practice, practice.

George

Hi George,

I have some neat ideas that I want to try out. I'd like to animate the loader bin on the HOn30 line and then have a rotary dumper at the standard gauge line to unload the cars and have the material dumped into an overhead bin, where again the contents can be loaded into standard gauge hopper cars. That's the plan anyway, will it happen? I sure hope so.

My main problem with hand laying turnouts is getting the rail in the proper gauge. I'm going to make myself a jig for doing the frogs. I've got a CNC machine so I'm thinking of using aluminum for a jig plate, something along the lines of Fastracks.

Bernd

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  4:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,
I will be watching your progress. Those little HOn30 engines are nice they just are so light that the track needs to be spotless. I would be interested to see if you can get a keep alive decoder in a trailing car to help out.
The best drives I found when I was messing with HOn30 were the Kato Pocket line drives and the Life Like SW switchers.
good luck on your adventure.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  5:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd, Here's a series of videos on handlaying N scale turnouts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8DhzN6dao

He uses the same method for making frogs that I do, which I learned how to do several years ago at a clinic at at an NMRA convention. Joining the rail at the side rather than at the tip is a nice easy method of coming up with the right frog angle. Part 12 of the video series starts the frog making process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPYDAmN4tRc

The videos are a little tedious for someone who has done some turnout building, but you can speed through the repeated soldering of rail to ties and filing rail over and over again.

George

elwoodblues
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/12/2014 :  7:19:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit elwoodblues's Homepage  Send elwoodblues a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bernd, quite the interesting project you have going on there, I'll be following along with great interest.

Ron Newby
General Manager
Clearwater Valley Railway Co.
http://cvry.ca

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  09:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Bernd,
I will be watching your progress. Those little HOn30 engines are nice they just are so light that the track needs to be spotless. I would be interested to see if you can get a keep alive decoder in a trailing car to help out.
The best drives I found when I was messing with HOn30 were the Kato Pocket line drives and the Life Like SW switchers.
good luck on your adventure.

Larry,

I'm not going to be using DCC on my layout.

I'm going to use R/C with a constant track voltage. About 3 years ago I discovered on another forum about R/C and the use of 2.4Ghz transceivers used in the model airplane hobby. A guy in the UK is making small boards for N and larger scales. I'll put a thread together and post all about how this works.

If you guys are interested in seeing how this works, check out my web site here: http://kingstonemodelworks.com/crane.html It's quite picture intensive and will take a while to load. I need to redo that page for a faster load. Anyway you can see a video here at U-tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Vdk7-vNd4&feature=youtu.be

I've picked up 3 Kato N scale 11-103 chassis' from a vendor on E-bay. They run much smoother. Have a couple of HOn30 engines planned for the future. I'll be writing them up for posting as I go.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George D

Bernd, Here's a series of videos on handlaying N scale turnouts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp8DhzN6dao

He uses the same method for making frogs that I do, which I learned how to do several years ago at a clinic at at an NMRA convention. Joining the rail at the side rather than at the tip is a nice easy method of coming up with the right frog angle. Part 12 of the video series starts the frog making process. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPYDAmN4tRc

The videos are a little tedious for someone who has done some turnout building, but you can speed through the repeated soldering of rail to ties and filing rail over and over again.

George

George,

Thanks for the links. I've seen his method used before. I just need to practice, practice and more practice. I'll get it yet.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  09:17:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elwoodblues

Bernd, quite the interesting project you have going on there, I'll be following along with great interest.

Hi Ron,

Great you'll be following along. I might need a kick in the pants once in a while to keep going, so stay behind me. If I stop, a quick kick might just get me started again.

Besides I've can get lot's of inspiration just signing on here and looking at some of the fine work that goes on. That usually gets me going.

Bernd

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  09:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bernd,
I watched the video of the crane, that is impressive work. I will have to read what is on your website to learn more.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 07/13/2014 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigLars

Bernd,
I watched the video of the crane, that is impressive work. I will have to read what is on your website to learn more.

Larry,

Thanks for the compliment. Any modeler can do something like that. It does help though if you have a back ground in machine work and a desire to do that kind of work. I guess that kind of work I enjoy the most from model railroading.

Bernd

Bernd
Fireman

Posted - 01/04/2015 :  3:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bernd's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting involved with the new years challenge with an entry of building four boxcabs to service the quarry rockbunker I decided to take another look at what I had planned. I wanted to use the Gump Stump track plan reversed and mirrored as a starting point. What didn't make sense after revisiting what I wanted to do, was building the rockbunker up on a flat ridge and running a track to it. They would have simply run chute's down to the loading track. So I decided to drop the rockbunker to table top level.

Pictures of what I'm talking about.

This time I'm a bit more serious as to what I want to do. I've ordered two different drive chassis from Kato (japanplaza= E-bay seller) to scratchbuild two main line locomotives. So at present the interest is high in getting something rolling here before spring arrives and I need to be outside cutting the grass.

I'll be updating this thread as I do various projects.

Bernd

Page: of 8 Previous Topic: Blackstone K28 & K36 Topic Next Topic: Rubbles Station kit mingle  
 New Topic |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000