Railroad Line Forums - Logging Disconnects
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 128 ]  [ Newest Member: clapper ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Logging Disconnects
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann 18ft Cars Topic Next Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module
Page: of 3

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  12:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was looking on the internet last night and came across the Polson Lumber Co./Rayonier Log Disconnect. at, http://4wheelrailroader.tripod.com/id11.html

Then this came to mind.

I have not done any further research other than look at some pics and take a few measurements of the Bachmann trucks. It appears that a 20 thou shim on the cross member of the truck will put the coupler at the correct height. I am guessing the total length of the disconnect to be 8 feet. I have made a couple calculations on the center beam width and height but nothing firm yet and I'm planning on using Alexander L&P couplers.
Not sure if this has been done before, but I think this will be a fun little project, so if anyone wants to join in, the more the merrier. Your thoughts and comments are more than welcomed.
Cheers, Heath.

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  12:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

lenelg
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  02:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit lenelg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You will need a string of these - and a way to hide a bit of weight. So how about casting the Wood frame in resin, with a bit of metal buried in the castings?

Lennart Elg - the Sloat Lumber Man

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  07:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat idea Heath......

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Reg Barron
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  07:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lot of info in back issues of the mags. Allen Brewster had an article in MR, Robert Stevens (sp.) in the Gazette, and Allen Armitage with plans.

Reg Barron

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  10:14:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice idea Heath, here member Marty (lab-dad) did some information on the same idea. See here; http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31038

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  10:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting project. Good info from Lab-Dad's project as well.

Tom M.

jcoop
Fireman

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  11:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heath,

Are those the low profile trucks? Looks like a pretty good start for sure.

Keep us updated.

Sitting along side the orignal Central Pacific Rail Road.

Home of The Great On30 Barn Meet, that will be held May 16th 2015

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 06/07/2014 :  8:24:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the interest guys.

Louis, grateful for the link, looks like Marty did all the hard work already. Should have check for posts before I sat down to the modelling desk.

Reg, I'll try and track the info down. I have some access to a large volume of old mags through the O scale club in town here.

John, yes the Bachmann low profile 4'1".

Some basic styrene work started for some comparison shots. Built the center beam around the Alexander coupler box, very quick and messy.

The outside beams (100x156 7' long) are too low and will need to be replaced with at least a piece of 100x188 at 7' long. The center beam is built from 2 40x188 on top, the sides are 20x156 and the bottom is 2 20x156. Just slide the coupler box inside. I think the overall dimensions are good. Thoughts?

Cheers, Heath.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  5:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some progress pics.

Completed center beam with the LP coupler inserted. Just starting to at the steel straps. 20x60 styrene.

Steel strapping complete. There is a strap on the top of both outside beams, also

Comparing the couplers.

Next up is going to be the log bunk hardware. I'm not sure if I am going to use the wood bunk or make a trip the the hobby shop and pick up some I-beam. The wooden bunk has similar dimensions as the bunk on the Bachmann log car (@220x250). 2 100x250 styrene laminated to make a 200x250 beam.

A comparison pic to give some size perspective. Thanks for looking in, comments welcomed.

Cheers, Heath.

Geezer
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  8:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Heath - that's some pretty cool Imagineering!!!

"You can find my Website & Threads here:"
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=47229

Mario Rapinett
Fireman

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  9:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

well done

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  9:35:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work there Heath. Are those Alexander link & pin couplers still easy and available to get?

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  10:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Louis, yes the couplers are in stock at Walthers. The coupler is part no. 120-6002 and the pockets are 120-6003 for screw mounting or 120-6004 for pin mounting. The list price is $5.10 for the couplers and $2.00 or $2.25 for the pockets respectively. They are listed as Ho scale, but are larger in size than the Grandt Line L&P's. They are similar like the Kadee #4's and will fit nicely in a #4 coupler pocket. They will also fit in the Kadee assembly jig, but easier to assemble than the #4.

Kadee #4 at top, Alexander in the middle and a Grandt Line L&P (#72 Gilpin Tram)

The Grandt Line might be a better fit for a coupler for this disconnect. The smaller size would allow for a less 'bulky' center beam and a more prototypical. It would match up with the Kadee Ho disconnect quite nicely.

I like the Alexanders because of their larger size makes it easier to couple and uncouple. Also, they look more O scale to me. The advantage of the larger disconnect is that it is comparatively the same size as the Bachmann log car.

Cheers, Heath.

Edited by - thtroll on 06/08/2014 10:35:22 PM

desertdrover
Engineer

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  10:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thtroll

Louis, yes the couplers are in stock at Walthers. The coupler is part no. 120-6002 and the pockets are 120-6003 for screw mounting or 120-6004 for pin mounting. The list price is $5.10 for the couplers and $2.00 or $2.25 respectably. They are listed as Ho scale, but are larger in size than the Grandt Line L&P's. They are similar like the Kadee #4's and will fit nicely in a #4 coupler pocket. They will also fit in the Kadee assembly jig, but easier to assemble than the #4.

Thanks!

BigLars
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/08/2014 :  10:50:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting.

My current build:
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50375

Page: of 3 Previous Topic: Bachmann 18ft Cars Topic Next Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000