Railroad Line Forums - Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 127 ]  [ Total: 131 ]  [ Newest Member: SamG ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 The On30 Line
 Bachmann Porter Dead Rail Conversion
Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module Topic Next Topic: Torres y Prietas mining narrow gauge
Page: of 2

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  8:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all!

Just thought I would share in this thread my little Porter project.

I am in process of converting an older Bachmann Porter to Dead Rail! So far the project has been going well, all items seem to be flowing smoothly. I will post visuals soon.

First to start. After a lot of thought and a great answer from another post, I decided to use Tam Valley's DRS1 receiver, it is connected with a Digitrax DZ123 decoder. I found at Hobby Kings the perfect ready made 11.1 volt lipo battery pack.

For wireless control I decided on the Airwire T5000 transmitter. (thanks to the kind soul that informed me you can switch frequencies to match the DRS1.)

So follow along I hope the information helps.

Mark

Grant Whipp
Engine Wiper

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  9:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Grant Whipp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really looking forward to following along, Mark! After being introduced to "Dead Rail" at the 2011 NTS in Sacramento, CA, I'm just now getting serious about investigating and pursuing the possibility of converting all my current and future locos to battery power. Thanks for this thread ... ...!

CHEERS!

"Who Knew Model Railroading Could Be This Much Fun"
CN&C - California Northern & Cascade On30 Modular Group, Founding Member
DWA - Diddy Wells & Afterthought Rwy

CieloVistaRy
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  08:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Send CieloVistaRy an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Same here. I can't wait to see how you will conceal the battery. This is pretty much the only sticky point for me.

Arthur

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40645

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  09:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the candidate for the conversion.
With it we have a couple of the pieces needed.

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry gents not the way I wanted to post the pictures.
I will need to work on this. I haven't really posted much on this forum before.

mabloodhound
Fireman

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  09:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,
When posting a photo into a thread, highlight and COPY the link that comes up in the upload window.
Then, add the [img] tag (from the tool bar above) and paste the link into that. The photo will now show up.

Nice topic and I too will be looking for how you get room for the battery and how you set up the re-charging.

Dave Mason
D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”~Benjamin Franklin
The 2nd Amendment, America’s 1st Homeland Security

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  10:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mark,

I have converted my railroad to battery power. I have been running Heislers and a 0-4-0 Porter sound equipped with the DRS1 Tx / Rx.

The physical size of batteries has been a problem when trying to put them in the loco. Using a trailing car presents no problems. The higher the mAh the longer the run time.

I just scored 2 - 3.7V 350mAh helicopter batteries .25 x 1.5 x .75 inches that may fit our locos. 7.4V wont run my sound

Please continue to post your progress.

Tom M.

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  11:00:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave,

Thanks for the pointers regarding image posts.

After a rather sleepless night I tried to do it and my brain just wasn't up for the task. It was 6:00 a.m. On my side of the world. Even though the time code says differently I still stick to this as my excuse.
I will prevail!

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  12:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm,

It appears that the HTML gods have proven favorable on my first picture post. It has worked out !

More to come!

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  12:43:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shadow50

Hmmm,

It appears that the HTML gods have proven favorable on my first picture post. It has worked out !

More to come!

I edited your picture for you.
Hope you don't mind.
Click the edit icon (the one that looks like a sheet of paper and pencil) to see how I did it.

As you think, so will you be.

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  8:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Rick!.

Glad you are on the Job.

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  8:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The first decision to convert to Battery power was to find the items to fit into the cab.

As mentioned in my first post I chose the Tam Valley DRS1 it was the only receiver that I could find with the small dimensions.
Of my two Porters I did pick the one I had changed the cab on. I ordered a while back a laser cut wood cab. This cab seems to offer a bit more room but I will rummage around my spares and try the old plastic cab too.

First fitting was as follows

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  8:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had removed the stringers in the roof line in order to give a bit more clearance for the battery.
From top to bottom the DRS1 fit perfectly!

shadow50
New Hire

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  8:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One issue is that we don't want unsightly electronics showing through the windows and back.

I have given some thought and I believe I will use some construction paper to black out the windows. I'm thinking of perhaps inserting downsized photos into the windows.

Perhaps that will provide a bit of dimension to an otherwise 2 dimensional "black" opening.

Tommatthews
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  10:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Interesting ... I am watching and learning ..

Tom M.

thtroll
Crew Chief

Supporting Member

Posted - 06/06/2014 :  11:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit thtroll's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks both a lot of fun and challenging. Following along also.

Cheers, Heath.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Saccara Valley RR - module Topic Next Topic: Torres y Prietas mining narrow gauge  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000