Railroad Line Forums - Turnout Indicator Lights with Peco Switch Machines
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 119 ]  [ Newest Member: buford763 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 DCC, Computers and Electronics for Model Railroads
 Turnout Indicator Lights with Peco Switch Machines
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Return Loop Polarity Indicator Lights Topic Next Topic: NJ International Signals - lamp upgrades?  

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  7:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see the way most of my turnouts are set from the front edge of my layout, but there are three or four that are hidden. I would like to mount indicator lights on my fascia to help me determine whether they are set for the main or for the diverging route.

I use Peco Insulfrog turnouts and Peco two coil switch machines and run plain DC.

I control the switch machine with two momentary contact push button switches.

I have been trying to figure out (A) what I have to buy to add the indicator lights (either incandescent or LED) and (B) how to wire it.

I did find some wiring diagrams which might as well been written in Sanskrit. (My fault, I have a mental block on reading wiring diagrams.)

I need instructions that say take a wire from this terminal to this contact to this switch, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.
Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  7:45:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I'm not sure this would work for you, but this looks like an easy way to do what you want.

A look at touch controls for model railroad control panels! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1heF9R2NZeQ

As you think, so will you be.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  8:07:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, Peco used to make a contact adaptor that mounted to the top of the machine that gave electrical contacts for things such as panel indicators. I just searched the internet and can't find them anywhere so I don't know if they are still available. If you can find them, these would help by giving you the extra contacts you need.

Mark

jbvb
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  8:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit jbvb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is possible to do what you want without contacts on the switch machine, but it requires either a latching relay following the switch position, or a digital flip-flop circuit that remembers and drives the LED. The flip-flop might be more trouble than it's worth, because it would be a lot more effort to add non-volatile memory; without, after turning on the power you have to throw all the switches to make sure they're properly indicated.

The old Kemtron-style twin coil switch machines have built-in contacts, one fairly heavy SPDT I've used for frog feeders and two much lighter transfer contacts (effectively DPDT). They can often be found at train shows or from people liquidating estates. Would it be feasible to install these in the locations that need contact?

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  8:50:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce. Peco makes a PL 13 accessory switch that mounts onto the bottom of your Peco turnout switch for the indication lights, and also to power frogs. The switch on the left of the picture mounts to your switch. Read "Fixing a Peco PL13 motor directly to the PL 10."
See wiring and information here; http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical%20page%202.html
Last Picture shows PL 13 switch mounted on bottom of PL 10 turnout switch.

Louis
Pacific Northwest Logging in the East Coast

Edited by - desertdrover on 04/08/2014 9:04:09 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/08/2014 :  10:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help, guys.

Lou, I ordered some from Walthers - and they were on sale even.

It could take a week or two for the order to arrive. Then I'll give it a try.

Bruce

Modeling the railroads of the Jersey Highlands in HO and the logging railroads of Pennsylvania in HOn3

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  09:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Thanks for your help, guys.

Lou, I ordered some from Walthers - and they were on sale even.

It could take a week or two for the order to arrive. Then I'll give it a try.

Here is a wiring diagram if you are using two LED's, red and green types.

Louis

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/09/2014 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Lou. That is very helpful.

Bruce

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  3:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first turnout is now wired with the indicator lights. With the learning curve behind me, the remainder will go much quicker.

Thanks again, all, and especially Lou!

Bruce

desertdrover
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  7:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice going Bruce. I too use those Peco coil switch machines in my tunnels because I like the way the Peco turnout operates and locks into place. The rest of my turnouts are controlled by Tortoise switch machines with the spring removed from the turnout. I just feel safer with the twin coils inside the tunnels.

Louis

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  7:53:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lou to the rescue again! The adaptors I have are different (I guess older) but the same idea. Looks good Bruce. It wasn't so difficult after all, was it?

Mark

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2014 :  8:05:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkF

Lou to the rescue again! The adaptors I have are different (I guess older) but the same idea. Looks good Bruce. It wasn't so difficult after all, was it?

No, Mark, it really wasn't, once I was pointed in the right direction.

Bruce

Previous Topic: Return Loop Polarity Indicator Lights Topic Next Topic: NJ International Signals - lamp upgrades?  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000